What sort of dipping sauce for

griffo4, Oct 23, 8:43pm
Vietnamese kumara and prawn fritters please
l have the recipe for the fritters and it just says serve with dipping sauce but l have no idea of what to serve
Any suggestions greatly appreciated as l haven't done a lot of these so a bit clueless on this Q;-))

pickles7, Oct 23, 9:02pm

davidt4, Oct 23, 9:35pm
Nuoc Cham is the essential Vietnamese dipping sauce:

4 cloves garlic
3 tab palm sugar
1 – 3finely chopped fresh chillis
6 - 8 tab fish sauce
6 - 8 tab lime juice (about 4 limes)

Make nuoc cham by pounding garlic and palm sugar in a mortar until pasty and garlic is pulverised, add chillies and pound, gradually add a few tab of lime juice to soften, then mix in most of lime and fish sauce, leaving a little for final adjustment.Taste sauce and if necessary add more lime or fish sauce - it should be bright and salty with no one flavour dominating.

uli, Oct 23, 9:38pm
I didn't know they had kumara in Vietnam.

pickles7, Oct 23, 9:56pm
Seeing that they do now,. uli., what sauce would you use!.

davidt4, Oct 23, 10:07pm
They use quite a lot of sweet potatoes, which seem to be less sweet than American varieties - more like NZ kumara.

http://www.uga.edu/ebl/Vietnamese/PlantIndex/khoailang.html

uli, Oct 23, 10:33pm
I would use Nuoc Cham. Davidt4 gave a great recipe above.

I never knew they used sweet potatoes. We had some Vietnamese refugees at our uni, and we often cooked together - but then, the sweet potatoes were only rarely available in Europe at that time. So it was always rice to accompany the meals.

pickles7, Oct 23, 10:52pm
cool.I personally, do not like anything too over powering with seafood. I lean towards, pineapple chunks, capsicum, fish sauce,, a little chopped chili thrown over the dish at the last minute.

griffo4, Oct 24, 8:17pm
Thank you for those suggestions l will be trying them when l make up the prawns