Masterchef on TV1 - Black Forest Gateau

Page 2 / 9
darlingmole, Aug 26, 9:06pm
thanks davidt4 ... without wanting to appear thick I've never seen one before so which shop should I look in to buy one please?

davidt4, Aug 26, 9:20pm

uli, Aug 26, 10:58pm
You use a pitter.
It works for cherries and olives:

http://www.southernhospitality.co.nz/stainless-steel-olive-pitter.html

dezzie, Aug 26, 11:49pm
I saw one browsing in living and giving the other day while waiting for my lunchtime guest to turn up, it was more expensive than the southern hospo one, and probably not as good.

waswoods, Aug 27, 5:29am
Mmmmm I pointed that out in post #6

cookessentials, Aug 27, 5:50am
DM, you will be there for a month of sundays using one of those, especially if you are doing a number of cherries try this

http://www.norpro.com/store/products/deluxe-cherry-pitter-with-suction-base

All you do is suction it to your counter top and fill the hopper with cherries, press the plinger and they are pitted quickly and easily with the pits going into the clear container.

katalin2, Aug 27, 7:06am
As I said in my post above, I use my olive pitter to stone both cherries and olives- and no you are not there for a month of sundays- it is quick and I don't ever do great quantities at any one time- and I love using it, it is quite a novelty. I am not a huge gadget person for things I don't use often, but my little pitter is very useful and inexpensive.

uli, Dec 10, 7:30am
Bump for the Black Forest "ghetto" .

possumeyes, Dec 10, 8:29am
Ghetto !Have never heard gateaux pronounced as ghetto . only ever gat as in "cat" o as in "oh" . ah black forest gateaux . a tantalising dessert.Although I have sampled some pretty amazing desserts of late.Host an event, invite guests to bring something to share and you can be assured of some taste sensations as everyone brings along a wonderful creation

elliehen, Dec 10, 9:14am
Nothing wrong with 'gateaux' as in cat-oh ;)

Lots of French words have been borrowed into English and naturally they take on a pronunciation which fits the new language.

For example, only a pretentious twit would say 'Ahvenue' instead of 'Avenue'.

pickles7, Dec 10, 9:08pm
Devonshire tea, get it right .uli.

uli, Dec 10, 10:22pm
yeah - that too LOL :)

elliehen, Dec 10, 10:39pm
BLACK FOREST TRIFLE
A sweet antidote to any poison posts.

uli, Dec 10, 10:41pm
Lovely ellie - albeit nothing to do with the Black Forest at all :)

elliehen, Dec 10, 10:45pm
More pithy one-liners.

Christmas seems to bring out both goodwill and the pithy Scrooges ;)

pickles7, Dec 11, 2:53am
you need to stop chewing the end of your pencil.elliehen.

emmapear, Dec 11, 3:07am
What is wrong with scones and muffins?

uli, Dec 11, 3:32am
. and maybe bake a "real" Black Forest Gateaux" .
AND eat it .

sarahb5, Dec 11, 4:15am
I'm still trying to work out the connection between muffins and scones - scones I definitely see as English but muffins are more of an American thing aren't they!

elliehen, Dec 11, 10:12am
Nothing at all.It's a sort of reverse cultural cringe ;)

Some immigrants just find it hard to embrace a different cuisine.

uli, Dec 11, 8:05pm
Nothing - if you like to eat them ... I just used them as an example that there is no English word for "torte" - so the french "gateaux" gets used - and pronounced English of course - which made me laugh the first time I heard it as it sounded like "ghetto" :)

elliehen, Dec 11, 10:41pm
Actually, uli, I know you're ALWAYS right, but in the interests of linguistic accuracy:

Torte = gateauand Torten = gateaux

Edited to add:You can fiddle with your keyboardoptions and add the circumflex accent, if you like ;)

uli, Dec 11, 10:56pm
Hahaha ellie!
You seem to have nothing better to do ...

elliehen, Dec 12, 12:00am
Attention to detail, uli, is the mark of a conscientious TM trader :)

And, I might add, it's sometimes thought to be a Teutonic quality.

elliehen, Dec 12, 6:11am
Black Forest Truffles, from a thread asking how to make them.Someone else suggested substituting Black Forest Tim Tams for Mint Slice in that much-posted truffle recipe.