Crockpot xmas pudding

Page 1 / 2
janetta, Dec 1, 8:23am
x1
Does anyone have a recipe for a easy xmas pudding that is cooked in the crockpot

dreamers, Dec 1, 8:39am

juliewn, Dec 1, 12:00pm
Hi.. this is our favourite.. crockpot info at the end of the recipe..

My favourite Christmas Pudding..

.. and the easiest there could be: It's egg and milk free, and only has 1 tsp butter, which could be substituted for margarine or a lightly flavoured oil..

Christmas Pudding:

In a large bowl, mix:
2 rounded cups flour
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 rounded cup currants
1 rounded cup sultanas
1/2 cup raisins.

Mix 2 tsp baking soda into 1 cup cold water.
Mix 1 tsp butter into 1 cup hot water.

Mix the two cups of liquid together and add to the dry ingredients and mix well.

Place into a greased bowl and cover, and steam for 3 hours.
Or place a cloth into a bowl, pour the mix in, tie the cloth with string, place into boiling water and boil for 3 hours.

This can also be mixed the night before, or several hours before being steamed/boiled. Stir well, then pour into your bowl and continue as above.

For a crockpot:

Pour the mix - it's quite runny - into a greased stainless steel bowl or a steamed pudding tin.

Place that inside an oven bag that is big enough to fit the bowl into.

Tie the bag with a twist tie or string, about 10-15cm from the top of the bowl

Place a saucer or similar into your crockpot, place the filled bowl in the oven bag on that, and fill the crockpot with just-boiled water, so the water is covering or almost covering the bowl.

Place the crockpot lid on and turn your crockpot to high.

Leave the lid on for the whole time so heat isn't lost..

Once the water is boiling around the pudding, time the cooking from then, reduce the temp to low or auto, and cook for 5 hours.
Just delicious..

janetta, Dec 3, 8:21am
thanks dreamers and julliewn

nondescript, Dec 3, 8:31am
sounds great. do you cut it like a cake when cold? thanks

juliewn, Dec 3, 9:03am
Hi.. cut in wedges from the centre .. or however you prefer.. and enjoy!

nondescript, Dec 3, 6:24pm
Have yu tried eating it as cake hen its cold and how is it if you do

calista, Dec 3, 7:39pm
Chef: Alison Holst as heard on Nine To Noon Tuesday 6 December 2005
Slow Cooker Plum Pudding
Ingredients
• 500-600gms dried and /or crystallised fruit *
• ¼ C sherry, rum, stout or orange juice
• 2 C bread flour or plain flour
• ½ C (packed) brown sugar
• 1 tsp baking soda
• ½ - 1 tsp mixed spice
• ½ - 1 tsp ground cloves
• 125gms butter, melted
• finely grated rind of 2 large oranges
• 1 large egg
• extra liquid if necessary
Method
Select a heatproof bowl (or loaf tin) which will hold 4 – 5 cups and will fit in your slow cooker. Coat the dry bowl with non-stick spray, then line with microwave-proof cling film.
*Use whatever dried and /or crystallised fruit you like. For special occasions we use ¼ - ½ cup of prunes (which are dried purple plums), crystallised pineapple and ginger, dried cranberries, raisins, currants and apricots. If preferred, use prunes, raisins, sultanas and currants etc. (For our recent puddings I have used 300gms of ‘Fruit Nuggets’ and about ¼ cp ‘Razz Cherries’ (bought from bulk foods departments) and 300gms of the dried and crystallised fruits listed above).
You can prepare the fruit a short time before you need it, or do it ahead and refrigerate it up to a week. Using kitchen scissors, chop all the fruit into pieces no bigger than dried cranberries and put them in a heavy plastic bag. Add the liquid/s of your choice to the bag, (grating all the rind from the orange first, if juicing it), then close the bag, leaving a small air hole, and microwave everything for about 5 minutes, until all the fruit is hot, plump and shiny. The liquid will soak into the fruit as it cools. Turn the bag over occasionally during this time. Cool the bag of mixture to room temperature before using it.
Turn a 2 litre or larger slow cooker on to HIGH with 1-2 cups of hot water in it.
Mix together the next six (dry) ingredients in a large bowl. Melt the butter in a small bowl, then add the grated orange rind. Beat in the eggs with a fork, then tip it into the flour mixture, stirring until no dry flour remains. Add the cool soaked fruit and mix everything gently but thoroughly. The mixture should be wet enough to drop from your spoon. If it isn’t, add more liquid, using a little of several liquids rather than just one. (Refrigerated marinated fruit may require up to ¾ cup of extra liquid)
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pudding bowl, levelling the top. Cover with foil, fold the edges down over the bowl. Lower the pudding bowl into the slow cooker bowl and put on the lid. Cook on HIGH for 8 –12 hours. Turn out while warm since puddings less likely to stick to the container at this stage, then wrap and cool completely.
Serve with brandy butter, custard or whipped cream, (plain or with liqueur or spirits and sugar added) or refrigerate (for six weeks or so), or freeze. Thaw before reheating, still in the film, in the sprayed, covered bowl. Reheat in the slow cooker set to HIGH, with water around the bowl, for 4 – 5 hours, or on LOW for twice this time.
VARIATION: If preferred, cook the pudding in a bowl or loaf tin of similar capacity, or in several smaller containers like cups, each covered with foil, in a covered pot (or covered pots) containing enough simmering water to reach about half way up the sides of the containers, for 4 –5 hours depending on their size. Stand each bowl on a rack, preserving jar ring, or crumpled foil during cooking, and check at intervals to make sure that pot does not boil dry.
NOTES: With longer cooking, in a slow cooker or pot, the pudding darkens, and the flavour improves. The puddings are actually cooked through in a shorter time than is suggested here. If you have a choice, and are making the pudding a short time before it is to be eaten, I think the flavour of the slow cooked pudding is better.
Whatever you do, don’t leave out the orange rind. If you have an inefficient grater, (microplane type grater) use the rind of two oranges for best flavour.

calista, Dec 3, 7:43pm
I let mine cook overnight and just managed to rescue it before it boiled dry.

I also found that it makes 2 small ones using the smallest metal bowl size that the Warehouse sell.

juliewn, Jun 22, 10:08am
It's truly delicious eaten as a cake. moist and tasty. easy to reheat wedges in a microwave too. or freeze cut into individual wedges and zap them to reheat when needed.

rrrg, Jun 22, 10:32am
I always make the Alyson Holsts one - its brillant

grandma, Jun 22, 9:27pm
Me too rrrg.I have tried cooking Christmas puddings on the top of the stove and in the microwave but have found using the crock pot gives it the best flavour and you don't have to watch it in case it boils dry.Reheated in the microwave when needed is great too. I have also tried many recipes but Alison Holst's one suits me down to the ground.

unknowndisorder, Oct 9, 9:28am
One last thread to bump, but there are more to be found if none suit

nauru, Oct 10, 6:41am
I have just posted a recipe in the other thread.
Edited to say - Oops! didn't read the whole thread, I see I posted it in this thread last year, it is #13

dreamers, Dec 1, 8:39am

juliewn, Dec 1, 12:00pm
Hi. this is our favourite. crockpot info at the end of the recipe.

My favourite Christmas Pudding.

. and the easiest there could be: It's egg and milk free, and only has 1 tsp butter, which could be substituted for margarine or a lightly flavoured oil.

Christmas Pudding:

In a large bowl, mix:
2 rounded cups flour
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 rounded cup currants
1 rounded cup sultanas
1/2 cup raisins.

Mix 2 tsp baking soda into 1 cup cold water.
Mix 1 tsp butter into 1 cup hot water.

Mix the two cups of liquid together and add to the dry ingredients and mix well.

Place into a greased bowl and cover, and steam for 3 hours.
Or place a cloth into a bowl, pour the mix in, tie the cloth with string, place into boiling water and boil for 3 hours.

This can also be mixed the night before, or several hours before being steamed/boiled. Stir well, then pour into your bowl and continue as above.

For a crockpot:

Pour the mix - it's quite runny - into a greased stainless steel bowl or a steamed pudding tin.

Place that inside an oven bag that is big enough to fit the bowl into.

Tie the bag with a twist tie or string, about 10-15cm from the top of the bowl

Place a saucer or similar into your crockpot, place the filled bowl in the oven bag on that, and fill the crockpot with just-boiled water, so the water is covering or almost covering the bowl.

Place the crockpot lid on and turn your crockpot to high.

Leave the lid on for the whole time so heat isn't lost.

Once the water is boiling around the pudding, time the cooking from then, reduce the temp to low or auto, and cook for 5 hours.
Just delicious.

nondescript, Dec 3, 8:31am
sounds great. do you cut it like a cake when cold! thanks

juliewn, Dec 3, 9:03am
Hi. cut in wedges from the centre . or however you prefer. and enjoy!

nondescript, Dec 3, 6:24pm
Have you tried eating it as cake when its cold and how is it if you do! thanks

bev00, Dec 4, 11:17am
Slow cooker sounds like the way to go.

nauru, Dec 5, 8:51pm
I have been cooking mine in the slow cooker for a few years, way easier than the conventional method.No having to top up pan with water.After lots of recipes trials, I now use a recipe from Joan Bishop which is very good.Will gladly post if anyone wants it.

trah, Dec 5, 11:42pm
Yes, please, nauru.

nauru, Dec 6, 3:25am
100g soft breadcrumbs, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 600g mixed fruit, 1/2 teasp gd nutmeg, 1 teasp mixed spice, 1 teasp cinnamon, 1/2 teasp gd ginger, 100g butter, 1/4 cup golden syrup, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teasp bakingsoda, 2 eggs beaten, 1 tablsp brandy/rum.

Preheat crockpot on high for 20 mins, grease pudding basin (8cup size). In large bowl mix together breadcrumbs, flour and sugar.Add dried fruit and spices, stir weel. Melt butter and syrup in pan, remove from heat and add milkand baking soda. Stir until soda dissolved, add the eggs and brandy and stir well. Pour liquid ingredients into flour mixture and stir thoroughly.Pour mixture into prepared pudding basin.Cover lightly with foil and place into crockpot on a trivet, pour 3 cups boiling water around it. Cover crockpot with lid and cook on high for 6-8 hours.

I usually make 2 smaller puddings and I always cover the pudding with baking paper and then foil. This year I made 1 medium and 2 small and 2 individual puddings from this recipe. Putting the puddings in the fridge until ready to cook, they came out well.

sunshine78, Dec 6, 8:51am
hmmm brain having a bit of a blahhhh moment but. whoever writes the crockpot boolk called SLOW has a delish massive pudding in it that is really very easy and although not exactly christmas pudding, is pretty darn close.

nauru, Dec 7, 3:25am
100g soft breadcrumbs, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 600g mixed fruit, 1/2 teasp gd nutmeg, 1 teasp mixed spice, 1 teasp cinnamon, 1/2 teasp gd ginger, 100g butter, 1/4 cup golden syrup, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teasp baking soda, 2 eggs beaten, 1 tablsp brandy/rum.

Preheat crockpot on high for 20 mins, grease pudding basin (8cup size). In large bowl mix together breadcrumbs, flour and sugar.Add dried fruit and spices, stir weel. Melt butter and syrup in pan, remove from heat and add milkand baking soda. Stir until soda dissolved, add the eggs and brandy and stir well. Pour liquid ingredients into flour mixture and stir thoroughly.Pour mixture into prepared pudding basin.Cover lightly with foil and place into crockpot on a trivet, pour 3 cups boiling water around it. Cover crockpot with lid and cook on high for 6-8 hours.

I also add 1 grated carrot to the fruit, a pass down from my Mum and Gran.I usually make 2 smaller puddings rather than one big one just my preference and I always cover the pudding with baking paper and then foil. This year I made 1 medium and 2 small and 2 individual puddings from this recipe. Putting the prepared puddings in the fridge until ready to cook, they came out well.