Dark corn syrup.

mydebe, Nov 28, 7:36am
Hi there all. I'm wanted to make a pecan pie forfriend of mine. I've found a super easy Paula Dean recipe but it needs dark corn syrup. What is this and where do I get it from? Would golden syrup work? Help!:)

parkvale58956, Nov 28, 7:43pm
Just use golden syrup, the result will be the same :-)

michelle313, Nov 28, 8:53pm
I find that using golden syrup alters the flavor of the pie.I just use corn syrup and it's fine.

darkestangel1, Nov 27, 9:01pm
WHAT IS DARK CORN SYRUP - NEER HEARD OF IT BEFORE - WAS THINKING THAT IT MUST BE GOLDEN SYRUP

cgvl, Nov 27, 9:30pm
Have a look in the baking aisle at your supermarket you will find (can be hard) corn syrup, not sure if you can get dark here. It tends to be used in icings, sweets and the like particularly recipes from the States.
Has a similar consistency to golden syrup but golden syrup is a by product of the sugar making process. Corn syrup is made from corn/maize not sugar cane. Hope that helps.

cgvl, Nov 27, 9:36pm
if you google you will find a recipe on how to substitue its 1¼ cups sugar to 1 cup water and if you want dark add a small amount of treacle or malt or you could substitute the ¼cup sugar for brown sugar.
Hope that helps
Oh could also be called Glucose syrup.

elliehen, Nov 27, 10:02pm
There's a Australian Glucose Syrup brand called 'Queen' derived from corn and gluten-free in a 500gm jar - red lid, yellow label.

"Corn syrup is just what the name implies, a liquid derivative of corn starch, that is primarily the sugar called glucose. It is used extensively in the manufacture of processed foods and beverages in the US, because it does not crystallize as readily as sugar and is generally less expensive (although it is also not as sweet as sugar).

It is available to consumers in the US in two forms — light, which has been clarified to remove all colour (and which is essentially flavourless), and dark, to which caramel colour and molasses have been added. Because of its tendency not to crystallize, it is often called for in recipes for frostings, candies, jam, and jellies.

If light corn syrup is not available, you can substitute a sugar syrup made with 1-1/4 cups sugar and 1/3 cup water, boiled together until syrupy. If your recipe calls for dark corn syrup, we’d suggest using a sugar syrup with a dash of dark treacle or unsulfured molasses, both of which are derived from sugar cane. "

mydebe, Nov 28, 7:36am
Hi there all. I'm wanted to make a pecan pie forfriend of mine. I've found a super easy Paula Dean recipe but it needs dark corn syrup. What is this and where do I get it from! Would golden syrup work! Help!:)

michelle313, Nov 28, 8:53pm
I find that using golden syrup alters the flavor of the pie.I just use corn syrup and it's fine.