Needing advice please (mud cake icing)

caro25, Nov 23, 3:48am
Hello i was wondering if anyone could help me, i have to make a mud cake and ice it with almond icing and white. my question is if i make the cake tonight and ice it tomorrow will the cake be ok untill sat when it will be cut into .
many thanks in advance

caro25, Nov 23, 3:57am
pleasehelp me

eastie3, Nov 23, 4:46am
Sorry I am unsure,but definitely wouldn't like a mud cake with almond icing ! I have always thought it was used for fruit cakes. It would be better with ganache.

chicco2, Nov 23, 4:59am
Hi, I am a cake decorator and have never put almond icing on a Mud cake. It would taste yuk. Almond icing is for friut cakes. Use Bakels Pettinice RTR Fondant. You can put 2 layers on if the 1st layer doesnt cover very well. Spray your clean bench and hands with non stick cooking spray. Knead the fondant a little. Spray your rolling pin and roll out your icing, lifting it often and re spraying the bench. Melt a little fondant in a cup and add a little hot water, stir till its liquid and apply it to the cake as glue. Lift your icing with the help of your rolling pin. Place on the cake and rub with your hands.

rosathemad, Aug 28, 10:02pm
If I use white icing on mud cake I would generally put a layer of ganache then the white icing (just one layer). You do need to let the ganache firm up first but it will taste much better. Mud cake does generally keep quite well, though, and if you ice it tomorrow it should be fine until Saturday - the icing seals the cake so helps preserve it.

If you don't use ganache you will need to use a syrup or something to help the icing stick to the cake anyway - as you would when doing a fruitcake. Hope that helps! :-)