WHITE CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE

lulu239, Jul 16, 5:36am
This is from the Australian WW. I made it for my grandson's 18th birthday and was pronounced delicious. I think it would be very nice even without the ganache.

WHITE CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE.

180g white eating chocolate, chopped
350g unsalted butter, chopped
2⅔ cups (590g) castor sugar
1½ cups (375ml) milk
2 cups (300g) plain flour
⅔ cup (100g) self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs

WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE

¾ cup (180ml) cream
540g white eating chocolate

Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced)
Grease a 22cm round deep pan, line the base and side with baking paper.
Combine the butter, chocolate, sugar and milk in a large saucepan; stir over a low heat until smooth. Pour mixture into a large bowl and cool for 15 minutes.
Whisk in sifted flours, extract and eggs. Pour mixture into the pan and bake for about 1hour 45min.
Meanwhile bring the cream to the boil in a medium saucepan, remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and stir until smooth. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes or until thick and spreadable. Spread the ganache over the cake.

lil_nightmare, Jul 16, 5:38am
yeah I made that over the weekend for my mums 60th as well as their chocolate mud cake. Now that one was a hit! I even liked the chocolate mud cake :) And I had a heap of chocolate ganache as well yum yum!

lil_nightmare, Jul 16, 5:39am
oh also with that ganache I left too long so it set. I just ran some hot water into the sink and mixed it until it was smooth again. Too easy eh.

antoniab, Jul 16, 5:40am
Cool thanks, might make that for partners bday. He loves white choccie - Im not so keen, may turn me :)

reese, Jul 16, 6:08am
Im new to baking... when it says 'white eating chocolate" do i use "milky bar" or the white chocolate thats in the baking section of the supermarket?
Is milky bar okay to use?

245sam, Jul 16, 6:26am
reese, lulu239 will no doubt tell you exactly which white chocolate she used but IMO Nestle's Milky Bar should be ok as would/should also be Cadbury's Dream Chocolate and Whittaker's white chocolate. :-))

lulu239, Jul 16, 6:41am
I used Cadbury's Dream chocolate. I would not have risked using the "drops" in case they did not work out and have an expensive mistake. I have not used white baking chocolate before so can't comment on that. When I try a recipe for the first time I do it as it instructs. Then, if I find something should be tweaked or added, then I do so.

crails, Jul 16, 6:45am
Milky Bar is not chocolate. You need to use Cadbury's or Whittakers

245sam, Jul 16, 7:01am
crails, I agree that Milky Bar is not actually chocolate but how sure can we be that Cadbury's is now? - it used to be. For preference I would actually use Whittakers - the best of the regular supermarket options IMO.

lulu239, IMO you made a very wise decision to not use the "drops" or worse still, the "melts" - I once tried (ages ago now) using them for a blondie and what an oily absolutely yuk mess I finished up with and not only in the cake tin but in the oven as well! ! :-))

griffo4, Jul 16, 7:53am
lulu Is this recipe in the latest AWW and is there a choc one as well?
lt sounds really nice l will have to try this

tazzaboy2, Jul 16, 10:24am
yumo! ! gnna make this. . i'm craving sweet things while pregnant. thanks lulu239

lil_nightmare, Jul 16, 11:12am
hey griffo I have the recipe so hopefully lulu doesn't mind me posting it in here?

CHOCOLATE MUD CAKE

675g dark chocolate
430g butter
1 1/2 tbs dry instant coffee
1 1/4 c water
1 1/4 c brown sugar (firmly packed into measuring cup)
1 3/4 c plain flour
1/2 c self raising flour
4 eggs
1/3 c coffee liqueur

Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced)

Grease a 22cm round/19cm square cake tin, line the base and side with baking paper bringing paper 5cm above side of tin.
Combine chopped chocolate and butter, coffee, water and sugar in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until everything has melted and dissolved.
Pour mixture into a bowl and cool for 15 minutes.
Stir in sifted flour, lightly beaten eggs and liqueur (I didn't add this). Pour mixture into the tin and bake for about 2 1/2hrs.
Cool cake in tin.

DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE

1/2 c (125ml) cream
400g dark chocolate, chopped

bring cream to a boil then pour over chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts. Cover then refrigerate and stir every so often for about 30 minutes. I used double the cream and a little bit more chocolate for my cakes which were tiered.

lulu239, Jul 16, 9:36pm
Thanks lil_nightmare, I was going to delve into my back copies for the Choc Mud Cake. For some reason, I've never made them, but the one you gave looks good.

245sam, I used Melts once for something and made an awful mess, that's why I try to do what I am told to use!

auntlb, Jul 16, 9:42pm
Whittakers white chocolate melts a lot more smoothly than the cadbury one

griffo4, Jul 16, 9:44pm
lil_nightmare thank you so much for that l am just off to make white choc lamingtons everyone loves them but will have to try these out now thank you both for posting

wildflower, Jul 16, 11:31pm
I don't like the cooking chocolates if they're compound, all oil. Whittakers is always a good choice.

sarahb5, Jul 17, 12:57am
I'm pretty sure that's the one I made for our Christmas cake a couple of years ago but I didn't do the ganache as the kids love Aunt Betty's vanilla frosting so we used that instead. Cake was delicious though ... and didn't last long!

lulu239, Jul 17, 4:45am
Sorry griffo4, I didn't answer your query. Yes it is the latest AWW. There is a nice Lemon Sour Cream Cake there too.

tamantha_colliss, Aug 17, 11:46pm
have to chuck a birthday for m best friend and its gonna be good but
i need a BRILLIANT white 4 stacker cake hhhm so i wnet on this
website n i might just think i have solved my problams
lol THANX xx tamantha

tamantha_colliss, Feb 21, 11:09am
hy i have made the cake ye holla to everyone that COMMENTED think think this is gonna work out BRLLIANTLY