Will this work? Choc Mud Cake???

duckmoon, Nov 21, 4:15am
We need a chocolate cake (yes, it needs to be a choc cake) for a farewell function.
To purchase a chocolate mud cake big enough (serving 120) will cost around $210.

(I know that not every one will eat a piece, but you need to have a piece of most people).

The $210 cake will be a 14inch square cake. (And it will be beautiful - made a local bakery).

I was talking with a woman at church this morning, and she suggested making 4 x 8inch cakes and icing them as one unit - producing a 16inch chocolate cake.

What are the pit falls of this process?Would it work?? Tx

katalin2, Nov 21, 4:30am
I used a choc mud cake recipe and multiplied x 4 and made it in a borrowed HUGE cake tin because I wanted square corners for daughters wedding cake- it was a bottom tier with 2 different cakes for the top ones. Didn't alter the recipe at all but it took a lot longer to cook obviously. You could do it in a large roasting pan- and ice with thick chocolate ganache icing. It will probably cost you around $50 with chocolate and cream being the most expensive parts. Good luck!

duckmoon, Nov 21, 4:51am
Hi tielfan - I have asked the guest of honour what her favourite cake, so I am committed to it being a "chocolate cake"...
I might think about this cake - and replace the bananas with apple pureee - I understand that they do the same job...
so it is still a "chocolate" cake - rather than banana-chocolate cake.

tortenz, Nov 21, 9:33am
It could work :)

The only problem I would see is that they could rise to slightly different heights.But if you trim them to the same level, then turn them upside down (bottom side up to ice), it should be fine.

Ice between the cakes as well as on top.

If you need a proven recipe, this is the one I use when I see my cakes. http://tortenz.wordpress.com/2010/10/02/chocolate-mud-cake/

bisloy, Nov 21, 7:30pm
This makes a good sized cake - 24cm/9in and about 4in deep.
200g butter
2 1/4c sugar
6 eggs, separated
3/4c cocoa
1 1/2c self-raising flour
1/4c very strong, black coffee
3/4c plain, sweetened yoghurt
In a cake mixer, cream butter and sugar. on low, mix in yolks, one at a time. Stop mixer and add cocoa, flour, coffee and yoghurt. Beat slowly to combine. Whisk egg whites, until stiff and fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into a greased tin and bake at 180C for 1 hour.
When cold, ice with ganache, covering top and sides.
Can multiply it as much as you like. I have many requests for this cake.

dollmakernz, Sep 2, 2:03am
For big chocolate cakes rather than make them I buy the Creans Goofy Cake. Its a big very rich chocolate cake with really nice icing on top, roughly about the size of 2 sheets of A4 paper side by side