Raw Ham on the Bone (how to cook)

1kaiwaka, Nov 21, 8:36am
x1
Hi I have a raw ham from a home kill it has been cured but not cooked.How long should I cook it for and then how long do I glaze it and can the glazing be done at the end of the cooking time.Good Luck. Bring it on!!!!

crails, Nov 21, 9:45am
Every year my husbands parents get a 'raw ham'. They make a basic dough and encase the ham in it and slowly cook it for a few hours in the oven.Then glaze as per usual

timetable, Nov 21, 10:06am
x3
hi kaiw i do mine as follows...
in a roasting pan put a grilling rack and then pour in about 2 cups of water.place your raw ham on the rack and then make a tent cover over the pan made out of tin foil.put in the oven at 150 deg and bake for about 4 - 5 hours depending on the size and thickness of the ham..when it comes away from the bone its cooked nicely through..
when cooked let cool till you can handle it ok then gently remove the rind, score the fat across and length ways and then brush on a mix of brown sugar, marmalade and mustard.stud whole cloves all over the ham and then add toothpicks that have a pinapple piece and glace cherry on them.put into the oven and bake for a further 20 - 40 min till golden and bubbly.. enjoy!

bisloy, Nov 21, 7:27pm
timetable has it. Cook covered, the steam helps to remove the rind - get it started with the knife, then you should be able to pull it off.

1kaiwaka, Nov 21, 8:43pm
Thanks heaps I can stop worrying now.Will do as timetable has suggested.

timetable, Nov 22, 4:34am
kaiwaka i forgot to say keep any eye on the water so that when it gets low you can top it up - about 1/4 ince deep at all times...if you have too much water in what happens is that it bubbles up and hits the bottom of the ham and you want to 'steam' it as bis said...its an old delia smith trick lol cooking your ham like this.the other way that you can do it is to wrap the ham in a whole wet sat newspaper, put in a roasting dish and bake it over night at 150 deg..i have tried both and found delia's way the best for us - lovely and moist and not dry at all...if the ham is esepcially salty then just soak it for about an hour or so and rinse it off before you put it in to bake - its super easy and man the house always smells lovely!!!mmmmm want to do ours now lol......

julia, Nov 3, 12:52am
How can I tell if a ham is raw??