Sugar free or really low sugar recipes

selah3, Nov 21, 7:44am
Im trying to find some decent cakes and biscuit recipes. If you have any I would appreciate it. Thanks

uli, Nov 21, 8:14am
You cannot make cake or biscuits with out sweetener - so you have to either use sugar or lots of dried fruit (=sugar) or artificial sweetener. Take your pick.

Of course you can train your tastebuds so that even a grapefruit is tasting very sweet after a while and you need hardly any sugar in a cake - but most other people will not find it "cakey" enough I fear.

selah3, Nov 21, 8:26am
I understand what you are saying. I have tried different splenda cakes but quite frankly even the dog didnt like it! Oh well

uli, Nov 21, 8:28am
I guess your best bet is to lose that sweet tooth - and just don't eat cakes. Not so easy for most people I know. I never loved cakes (so have an advantage) - although you could tempt me with a nice Black Forest Torte any time :)
Good luck!

smileeah, Nov 21, 8:44am
I have seen some recipes in the past that use apple puree as the main sweetener, I actually think I may have seen them in a recipe book hidden away in the back of my recipe cupboard. I will have a look for it if I remember alter this week. Meantime here is a fruit cake I found on google. Although I'm not sure it will be suitable for you because of the dried fruit.

Farmhouse Mincemeat Cake

150 grams butter -- at room temperature
150 grams brown sugar
3 eggs
250 grams SR wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice
150 millilitres apple juice
350 grams mincemeat
50 grams prunes - ready to eat -- chopped
Topping
2 tablespoons demerara sugar
2 tablespoons nuts -- chopped
2 tablespoons porridge oats

Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little of the flour each time.
Mix in the flour, mincemeat, prunes and spice, adding enough apple juice to give a soft dropping consistency.
Transfer to a round, loose-bottomed, 20cm (8") cake tin, prepared as necessary. Level surface.
Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle evenly over cake.
Bake at 180C for 75 - 90 minutes, until done when tested. Cool in tin.

selah3, Nov 21, 9:42am
Thank you smileeah

cgvl, Nov 21, 11:17am
I will bump the diabetic baking thread for you. Or you could do a search on the left, using anytime.

smileeah, Nov 22, 12:25am
OK I have pulled out a couple of books with sugar free recipes in them. A whole chapter in each book actually, too many to copy but if you wish to buy the books yourself there are some listed on here for reasonable prices. They are called Taste of Life and More Taste of Life by Julie Stafford. I can't vouch for the recipes though as I haven't tried any of them. Meanwhile if there are any recipes inparticular that take your fancy I am happy to post them for you. Here is the list...
apple cake
apple-rhubarb slice
apricot loaf
bran fruit loaf
carrot loaf
currant cake
fruity pumpkin cake
moist mandarine and banana cake
muesli loaf
no bake festive cake
sesame fruit loaf
apple and cinnamon yoghurt slice
apricot oat slice
banana and sultana yeast cake
carrot and raisin cake
lemon munchies
prune bars
special occasion almond apricot biscuits
zucchini and currant cake
there are also several muffin recipes such as blueberry, and scones, as well as dessert chapters.

buzzy110, Nov 22, 12:48am
You have a very canny dog. I wouldn't eat splenda if my life depended on it and I'm a no sugar sort of gal.

indy95, Nov 22, 3:31am
Selah3, I am not qualified to give any advice on the subject of baking for diabetics or using any type of artificial sweetener in place ofsugar which I would never do. However I have realised that the quantity of sugar suggested in many recipes is absolutely ridiculous and can be cut down considerably. This applies particularly to cake recipes in my experience and also to many loaf and muffin recipes. I have sometimes reduced the amount of the sugar stated by half or even more and still produced a delicious result. If you check on Google you will find a lot of information about this.

You obviously have a very intelligent dog !

prendy1, Nov 22, 6:16am
Here is one I got from Trademe but don't know who to credit it to. It's still very high energy with all the nuts and fruit, but has no added sugar. I make this quite often, then cut into slices, wrap each slice in gladwrap and freeze. Then when the kids are having biscuits and I want something with a cup of tea, I can just defrost one of these.
Sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, guilt-free and delicious Boil together in a saucepan for 10 minutes: • 1 cup raisins • 1 1/2 cups dates • 2 cups water In a large bowl: • 3 cups grated carrots/apples • 1 cup sunflower seeds • 1 cup walnuts • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds • 1/2 cups sesame seeds • 1/2 cup coconut • 1 1/2 cups rice flour • 1 tsp cinnamon • 1 tsp baking soda • 1 tsp vanilla essence • Pinch of salt • boiled raisins and dates Combine and press into a greased tin and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for approximately 30 minutes

I haven't tried this one but it sounds nice:
Sugarless sultana cake:
1 kilo Saltanas with about 4 tea bags laying on top, cover with boiling water. Soak saltana in the cold tea over night. Mix in 2-3 cups s/r flour and two eggs till it is of cake mixture and bake at about 160 for about 45 mins or untill cooked depends on oven. It's Great NO Sugar.

uli, Nov 22, 6:22am

southerngurl, Nov 22, 6:30am
if your a diabetic, you'll soon figure that theres other things you can replace it with... you wont miss cakes and bikkies at all..
I used to love wafers and shrewberries and tim tams... dont miss them at all now..

toenails, Nov 22, 9:08pm
I found a recipe called Vinegar Biscuits on Google. These are a scone type US biscuitusing cider vinegar.I really like the taste.

cea, Aug 29, 11:53am
I found that loaves like banana and walnut or ginger.You can omit half of the sugar.slice it thin and bake flat on trays like what you do with biscotti.Its cause you don't cream the butter and sugar like most biscuit recipes.