Meusli bar alternative wanted please :)

chic-a-dee, Nov 17, 3:49am
I was at a shared lunch a while back and it was there and had dried apricots, raisins, dates, sunflower, seasame seeds, pumpkin seeds, like it was full of only nuts and fruit, dont think it had rolled oats in it or other wheat products. <Must have had honey to bind it together, was like a slice. It was moist and chewy, and most of all it was delicious!! Any help appreciated!

uli, Nov 17, 5:22am
You can make a raw food slice with nuts, seeds, raisins or other dried fruit and some "filler" like courgette, avocado or the like. Put it all in the food processor and whizz away.

Needs to be kept in the fridge obviously and eaten within a day or two.

You don't need extra honey - it will be sweet and sticky from the dried fruit.

There are heaps of recipes on vegan and raw food sites. But it is easy to develop your own depending on what is on hand and what you like.

valentino, Nov 17, 5:56am
Perhaps something like the following but does have oats in it but no honey... Cheers.

Chewy Flapjack Bars

Ingredients;
270 g apple sauce
½ c ready-to-eat dried apricots chopped
¾ c raisins
¼ c Demerara or raw sugar
1/3 c sunflower seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
¼ c pumpkin seeds
1 c rolled oats
2/3 c self-raising wholemeal flour (about 2/3 c wholemeal flour & 2/3tsp Baking powder mixed together)
2/3 c desiccated coconut
2 eggs.

Preheat oven 200c.
Grease 20cm square shallow tin and line with baking paper, allow a little bit of paper to over-hang edge of tin, easy to lift out..
Put apple sauce in large bowl with all fruit, sugar and all seeds, stir together thoroughly.
Add rest of ingredients and gently stir together until evenly combined. Turn the mixture into tin and spread to the edges in an even layer.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden and just firm to touch.

Leave to cool in the tin, then lift out on to a board and cut into bars.

smileeah, Nov 17, 8:26am
Sounds similar to Birdseed Bar. Just got this Alison Holst recipe from google but there are plenty more recipes there if you want to google yourself. I am sure it will work if you want to substitute some of the ingredients.

1 cup Sunflower Seeds
½ cup Pumpkin Seeds
½ cup Cashews or Almonds
½ cup Coconut
½ cup Sultanas
100g butter
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey

Toast the seeds, nuts and coconut (which browns fastest) separately until lightly coloured. When prepared, mix with sultanas in a large bowl.

Heat the butter, brown sugar and honey over moderate heat in a medium-sized pot or pan, until a little dropped in cold water forms a definite ball, and does not flatten on the bottom of the container. (Do not overcook or bars will be too hard. If uncooked, bars to do not firm up when cold).

Stir together the hot honey mixture and the seeds etc. in the bowl or pan, whichever is more convenient.Press the warm mixture into 12 oiled gem irons, 12 muffin pans, or into part of a sponge-roll pan, making it as deep as you like. When cold and firm, remove from containers and put into bars or smaller pieces if desired.

Like toffee, these bars soften on standing if not kept in an airtight container or wrapped individually in cling film.

chic-a-dee, Nov 17, 9:54pm
Thanks ladies, they sound great. Im trying to get away from buying processed crap in the shopping. I have stopped buying chips and biscuits and have bought loads of fruit and crackers and pickles, but do miss a little sweet tasty treat to keep for when someone comes for a coffee or to put into the lunchboxs or to snack on if Im out and about and dont want to buy a pie or a slice. I used to buy the one square meal bars, but they are too filling and pricey, so dont want to get any more. I will try these recipies out. Who buys from binn inn? Is it better economy to go there? Thanks again.

chic-a-dee, Aug 15, 7:48am
bump for the avo ladies LOL