Rhubarb

Page 3 / 4
devalois, Nov 17, 2:31am
How mean of your friend.most people would be so flattered someone admired their cooking they'd be happy to share! I have found the very slender, redder stemmed variety of rhubarb is a lot sweeter and doesn't grow so enormous. My neighbour kindly gave me a root and it's gorgeous. I bought two slender, very red stemmed rhubarb to add to the garden and may get rid of the bigger stuff altogeher. Yes, it freezes well, and mum used to use dried dates to sweeten hers when she stewed it. Not a fussy eater, but find dates really sickly (dried) so. My neighbour's variety makes a beautiful tart: make a shortcrust type base and press it firmly into a loose bottomed, round quiche tray and bake 20 mins medium oven. Cook rhubarb in a tiny bit of water with a little sugar, then dissolve a strawberry jelly in ONE CUP ONLY of boiling water, and add to it. Allow that to cool.
When crust comes from oven IMMEDIATELY invert onto a serving tray and there should be a shallowish "well" in the centre. When jelly/fruit mix cool, but not set, pour into crust and chill thoroughly. This is simple, but absolutely beautiful. Cheers! devalois

lavender32, Nov 17, 3:35am
CGVL how wonderful are you! Thanks heaps. I'll let the boys in the parts department know you are coming & they can ring me to come downstairs. Thanks soooooooo much.

uli, Nov 17, 7:38am
Bump for the new rhubarb season :)

crystalmoon, Nov 18, 1:24am
oooohhhhh now I'm hungry for rhubarb.your so lucky to have such a good crop,have tried growing rhubarb 3 times and not much success,lolz will have to keep buying it :(

meborg5, Nov 18, 8:47am
@elliehen.Hi there - I baked your recipe 'Ross Sour Rhubarb Cake' - it didnt rise or fit 2 loaf tins, more like 1 full loaf tin!Was it supposed to be like that! I did follow the recipe to a T.

elliehen, Nov 18, 9:07am
Sorry about that.When I put the mix in two loaf tins I use the smaller size tins - I should have mentioned that.As for rising, I've never had a problem with volume, although a cake with lots of fresh fruit in it (apple, pear, rhubarb) will always be a bit more dense than a spongey cake.

bev00, Nov 18, 10:49am
FOR RHUBARB LOVERS

nabbed, Nov 18, 11:05am
as a topping on a cheese cake is my favourite,I have even put it on top of strawberry topping on a bought cheesecake,

carlosjackal, Nov 18, 11:07am
Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie
http://www.joyofbaking.com/StrawberryRhubarbPie.html

I made this a few times last summer as we had so much rhubarb and not unlike you was searching for other recipes to use my rhubarb in. Strawberries go really well with rhubarb - a great flavour combination and this Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie is beautiful!

trader-joy, Nov 18, 5:27pm
Thanks sounds yum.

bev00, Jan 7, 10:20am
seniorbones wrote:

I was taught (by and old aunt) cut the rhubarb up the night before, sprinkle with sugar and it draws the water out and becomes syrup then cook as is so no need to add water.

A fabulous way to use the syrup is to make a sorbet and add a few measures of your favourite single-malt. Same happens to strawberries and sugar left overnight on the bench. Something different to make, with the fruit in season.
Yum!

Quoteshop-a-holic (112 )11:52 pm, Fri 6 Jan #12
Rhubarb Champagne http://saucysisters.blogspot.com/2009/02/rhubarb-champage.ht
ml. this stuff is fantastic.everyone I give this to loves it!

Quotekaylfrazer (143 )8:16 am, Sat 7 Jan #13

dilligas, Jan 7, 11:00am
Had a recipe for rhubarb chutney which was nice but my recipe book is in bus. Sadly the bus is being stored at a camp in the NI so not easily accesible . google may have it .

Cant eat nuts but would love to give the cake a go when rhubarb plant has decent stalks on it . Normally use it for Apple and Rhubarb crumble. Wont buy rhubarb at the current price in the supermarket so will wait patiently for current plant to be a prolific producer . *sigh* .

thewomble1, Jan 7, 12:52pm
Where do you buy a 'long' dish that will take the rhubarb stalks! thanks

juliewn, Jan 8, 12:17pm
I made rhubarb and strawberry jam recently. equal quantities of each, once cooked added sugar to taste. check for setting. just delicious. and tonight I've preserved rhubarb and plums stewed together. equal quantities. the colour and flavour is amazing. will definitely make both the jam and the preserves again.

juliewn, Jan 8, 12:19pm
Oh. for an easy way to cut the rhubarb, once stalks are cleaned, use kitchen scissors to chop to the size wanted. so much easier than cutting through the strands of rhubarb. quickly done too.

carlosjackal, Nov 17, 11:07am
Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie
http://www.joyofbaking.com/StrawberryRhubarbPie.html

I made this a few times last summer as we had so much rhubarb and not unlike you was searching for other recipes to use my rhubarb in. Strawberries go really well with rhubarb - a great flavour combination and this Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie is beautiful!

patsprat, Nov 17, 10:17pm
When cooking rhubarb (I bake it in the oven with sugar but no added water rather than boil in a pot, concentrates the flavour) always add a little finely grated fresh ginger, its a match made in heaven!

gingercrush, Nov 17, 10:26pm
Dip in sugar and eat raw. Yum.

tehenga288, Nov 18, 7:41am
Me too. Never tried it raw tho gingercrush.
Cut up a few stalks ( 6 - 10 ) and put in a medium size pot. Just cover with water and add some sugar, boil for 5 - 10 mins till alot of the colour is out of the rhubarb. Strain, save juice and throw the rhubarb away. Use juice as cordial add ice and top with soda water. Beautiful.

nauru, Nov 19, 3:13am
This is what I do when I have a glut.
Rhubarb is also nice lightly cooked and mixed with fresh/frozen raspberries to have with yogurt or on breakfast cereal.

dwyn5, Nov 19, 4:05am
Rhubarb Jelly
Stew rhubarb until just tender in a little water.
While still hot gently stir in a raspberry jelly until crystals have melted.
Pour into dish to set.
Yum! with icecream - double yum!

mandi, Nov 19, 9:15am
I also have heaps of rhubarb, of late I have been dicing 4 cups of rhubarb, 1 or 2 Tbsp water, 1/2 cup sugar and some nutmeg and cinnamon (optional) mix ingrediants, bring to boil and simmer until rhubarb has broken up. Cool and store in the fridge.My kids use this mix on cereal in the morning or with ice-cream for dessert, you could probably even put it in scones with some cream!Haven't tried freezing this mix yet, but don't see why it won't freeze successfully.

bev00, Nov 19, 9:41am
this is yummy
Donna Hay’s Rhubarb crumble slice
Makes 12
100g butter, melted
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup milk
1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
3/4 cup caster sugar, extra
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream, to serve
Crumble topping
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1/4 cup caster sugar
100g cold butter, chopped
Preheat oven to 180C.
Combine butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, coconut and milk in a bowl and mix well to combine.
Spoon into a 17cm x 27cm tin lined with baking paper and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
Combine rhubarb, extra sugar and vanilla and spoon onto the base. To make the crumble topping, combine flour, sugar and butter, using your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour.
Spoon on to rhubarb and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden.

Quotepam.delilah (658 )7:42 pm, Sa

bev00, Nov 29, 9:46am
RHUBARB CORDIAL
I dont have an exact recipe but would think this is how to make.
Cook rhubarb in a good amount of water (my lemon one is 4.5litres water). Strain and squeeze out all liquid. put back into pot and add sugar to taste (again my lemon one has 1.5kg sugar). bottle into clean, dry and sterilized bottles. May add some citric or tartaric acid as well but not sure if would be needed 25g of each.
This should make a concentrate you can water down.

Quotecgvl (22 )8:57 am, Tue 29 Nov #5
Rhubarb Cordial

9 stalks rhubarb, chopped
3 cups water
peel of 1 lemon, removed with a vegetable peeler
2 cups sugar
juice of 1 lemon

Simmer the rhubarb, water and lemon peel together for 20 minutes, skimming off any foam. Strain, discarding the pulp, then add the sugar and lemon juice and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil for 1 minute, skim again and cool. Keep refrigerated and use to make punch or cocktails. Makes about 1 litre.

Quotebernice1 (226 )9:03 am, Tue 29 Nov #6
I have made and bottled the above successfully. Nice with bubbly or for the non alcoholic version with soda, or with gingerbeer is also a nice twist.

Quotebernice1 (226 )9:07 am, Tue 29 Nov #7

I simply cook the rhubarb till softened with water to cover, taste then sweeten as required at the end. Decant most of the liquid, chill, use the pulp then top the juice up with ice and soda water. But I prefer it tart.

Quoteoh_hunnihunni (1556 )9:47 am, Tue 29 Nov #9
this recipe was posted by some one here: Rhubarb Champagne ( non- Alcoholic) 1 Kg Rhubarb, washed and chopped - 1 1/2 TBsp white vinegar - 700g white sugar - 3 1/2 L water - zest & juice 6 lemons - Put all ingreds. into large non-metal container, mix & stand 48hrs. Strain & bottle. leave 3 weeks before drinking. Fizzy like ginger beer.

Quotewheelz (154 )11:37 am, Tue 29 Nov #10

wayne472, Nov 29, 9:54am
Rhubarb Champagne --

1 Kg of Rhubarb washed and CHOPPED
1 & 1/2 table spoonsof white vinegar
700 grams of white sugar
3 & 1/2 litres of water
Zest & juice of six lemons

Put all ingredients into A large non metal container,mix it up and make it nice,stand for 48 hours,strain then bottle and leave for three weeks before drinking,it is very very nice.

When you have got used to making that substitute the rhubarb for ginger,best ginger bear you have ever made,