elliehen, Nov 16, 9:33am
ROSS'S SOUR CREAM RHUBARB CAKE

Beat:
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
125 grams margarine (1/4 of a pottle)

Add & continue beating:
1 egg
1 250 gram pottle sour cream
1 tsp vanilla essence (I prefer pure - not imitation, which tends to lose flavour)
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Sift & stir gently into the above:
2 cups standard flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add:
3 cups of chopped RAW rhubarb & stir together till combined - don't over-mix

Bake 180* C for 50 to 55 minutes in a large ring tin or a 2 loaf tins (eat one now and freeze one for later!)

Icing

Beat till combined:
2 cups icing sugar
1 Tablespoon soft butter
250 grams cream cheese at room temperature
1 teaspoon lemon juice

NOTE:
You can use half-quantity icing to save $$$ and don't buy 'Spreadable' cream cheese cos it will run all over the cake.I actually buy the Philadelphia silver packet cream cheese.
A delicate decoration - if you want one - can be a few super-thin curls of lemon rind.

meborg5, Nov 16, 8:42pm
Awesome thanks everyone for the rhubarb recipes. I have bunches of rhubarb to use and now going to make into pies!! YAY!

lavender32, Nov 16, 9:19pm
cgvl - you are so lucky. I wonder what terrible things would happen to me if I put my phone number on here??????? Or could I be cheeky enough to ask that if you are passing a car dealership that sells Holdens & kias you might drop some off to me lol. I am more than happy to pay for it & would take as much as you want to give as I can freeze it. I work in the mornings only. Cheers Joanne

cgvl, Nov 17, 1:02am
hey lavender, will drop off tomorrow when out doing groceries. Am coming that way to get asparagus lol. If had seen this earlier you could have had it today, when I went out lol.

devalois, Nov 17, 2:31am
How mean of your friend...most people would be so flattered someone admired their cooking they'd be happy to share!! I have found the very slender, redder stemmed variety of rhubarb is a lot sweeter and doesn't grow so enormous. My neighbour kindly gave me a root and it's gorgeous. I bought two slender, very red stemmed rhubarb to add to the garden and may get rid of the bigger stuff altogeher. Yes, it freezes well, and mum used to use dried dates to sweeten hers when she stewed it. Not a fussy eater, but find dates really sickly (dried) so... My neighbour's variety makes a beautiful tart: make a shortcrust type base and press it firmly into a loose bottomed, round quiche tray and bake 20 mins medium oven. Cook rhubarb in a tiny bit of water with a little sugar, then dissolve a strawberry jelly in ONE CUP ONLY of boiling water, and add to it. Allow that to cool.
When crust comes from oven IMMEDIATELY invert onto a serving tray and there should be a shallowish "well" in the centre. When jelly/fruit mix cool, but not set, pour into crust and chill thoroughly. This is simple, but absolutely beautiful. Cheers! devalois

lavender32, Nov 17, 3:35am
CGVL how wonderful are you!!!! Thanks heaps. I'll let the boys in the parts department know you are coming & they can ring me to come downstairs. Thanks soooooooo much.

cgvl, Nov 17, 8:53pm
When cooking rhubarb for myself I add a sweet apple to the mix and no sugar and find it is more than sweet enough, Dh needs a little extra sugar to his but you do get used to the taste.

meborg5, Nov 18, 8:47am
@elliehen.Hi there - I baked your recipe 'Ross Sour Rhubarb Cake' - it didnt rise or fit 2 loaf tins, more like 1 full loaf tin?Was it supposed to be like that? I did follow the recipe to a T.

elliehen, Nov 18, 9:07am
Sorry about that.When I put the mix in two loaf tins I use the smaller size tins - I should have mentioned that.As for rising, I've never had a problem with volume, although a cake with lots of fresh fruit in it (apple, pear, rhubarb) will always be a bit more dense than a spongey cake.

trader-joy, Nov 18, 5:27pm
Thanks sounds yum...

guest, Apr 2, 10:12pm
Hi. I am desperate to get a copy of Aunt Daisy's Rhubard Relish recipe. Does anyone have it?

angiesbaking, Nov 14, 4:27am
Can I please have some ideas for using my rhubarb! It's huge and going to waste.

buckyboy, Nov 14, 5:16am
oooooh wish I lived closer as I Love it and it's so expensive these days.

cgvl, Nov 14, 11:08am
Rhubarb and banana jam is yum another of aunt daisy's, I add rhubarb to muffins and cakes. make rhubarb crumbles, fruit sponges (desert).
basically use same as any fruit.

trader-joy, Nov 14, 6:20pm
Morning I d love your marmalade recipe please.

clare_mel, Nov 14, 7:27pm
My friend makes the most devine rhubarb and sour cream cake.She won't share the recipe!But I am sure if you googled you could find something similar.

jimbob37, Nov 15, 8:50am
I got this recipe off here a while back, and it's a firm favourite now in our house. Everyone I've made it for has asked for the recipe.I don't put the banana in as I don't like it, and I use apple as well as rhubarb.

Caramel Crusted Rhubarb & Banana Pudding

¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup rolled oats
¼ cup white sugar
100g melted butter
Stewed rhubarb (and or apple)
3 sliced bananas
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon custard powder or cornflour
¼ cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 180c.
Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl.
Add rolled oats and white sugar.
Mix in melted butter to make a crumble mixture.
Sprinkle over rhubarb and banana mixture.
In the discarded bowl, combine brown sugar and custard powder.
Spoon over crumble mix.
Carefully pour over the boiling water.
Do not stir.
Oven bake for 30 minutes

bisloy, Nov 15, 8:52am
Thank goodness! I was beginning to think I was a little strange. I hate cooked banana! It takes over everything to the point you can't taste anything else. Yuk!

lavender32, Nov 15, 8:00pm
Wish you lived in Wanganui, I'd come buy some off you.Rhubarb in supermarkets is disgusting at moment.

cgvl, Nov 15, 8:07pm
lavender32, if you want some, I am in wanga's and have a garden full going to waste. Um now how to contact.

pamellie, Nov 15, 9:08pm
I'm sure this is a recipe I posted on here a long time ago but without bananas, I don't know where they would have come from and I must admit they don't appeal to me. An example of how recipes change I guess!

erewhon04, Nov 16, 12:19am
Fool.not you,Rhubarb Fool.
stew rhubarb in just a little water and sugar.Cool completely.
Whip cream, and make or buy vanilla custard. Or, use vanilla yoghurt. Combine.Add rhubarb.
I serve this topped with chopped crystallised ginger.

elliehen, Nov 16, 9:33am
ROSS'S SOUR CREAM RHUBARB CAKE

Beat:
1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
125 grams margarine (1/4 of a pottle)

Add & continue beating:
1 egg
1 250 gram pottle sour cream
1 tsp vanilla essence (I prefer pure - not imitation, which tends to lose flavour)
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Sift & stir gently into the above:
2 cups standard flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add:
3 cups of chopped RAW rhubarb & stir together till combined - don't over-mix

Bake 180* C for 50 to 55 minutes in a large ring tin or a 2 loaf tins (eat one now and freeze one for later!)

Icing

Beat till combined:
2 cups icing sugar
1 Tablespoon soft butter
250 grams cream cheese at room temperature
1 teaspoon lemon juice

NOTE:
You can use half-quantity icing to save $$$ and don't buy 'Spreadable' cream cheese cos it will run all over the cake.I actually buy the Philadelphia silver packet cream cheese.
A delicate decoration - if you want one - can be a few super-thin curls of lemon rind.

meborg5, Nov 16, 8:42pm
Awesome thanks everyone for the rhubarb recipes. I have bunches of rhubarb to use and now going to make into pies! YAY!

lavender32, Nov 16, 9:19pm
cgvl - you are so lucky. I wonder what terrible things would happen to me if I put my phone number on here! Or could I be cheeky enough to ask that if you are passing a car dealership that sells Holdens & kias you might drop some off to me lol. I am more than happy to pay for it & would take as much as you want to give as I can freeze it. I work in the mornings only. Cheers Joanne