The Official Xmas Cake Recipe Thread......

Page 1 / 4
purplegoanna, Nov 1, 12:41am
Overnite Gingerale Xmas Cake
Soak 1 kg of Mixed Fruit (I use the pams stuff from paknsave) in 1/2 of a 1.5ltr bottle of gingerale overnite!, drain the next morning in a colander. Cake tin preparation: (most important but worth it). On the bottom you need to put a layer of cardboard, then 2 layers of newspaper then a layer of brown paper then a layer of greaseproof paper then on the sides you need to do the same but no cardboard....its sorta painful BUT makes it all worth while...(my round cake tin is 20cm across) Beat together: 225g softened butter, 225g white sugar, 4 eggs added one at a time, Then add to that mix: 3c flour, 1 Tbsp golden syrup, 1tsp baking powder, a good dash of curry powder!, 1tsp of rum or brandy essence, 1tsp of vanilla essence, 1tsp of almond essence, DON'T PREHEAT YOUR OVEN!, Bake at 130-140'c for the first 2.5hrs then at 100'c for 1.5hrs = altogether 4hrs, Can put a layer of tinfoil loosley ontop to stop it going to brown if you need to...to store wrap in greaseproof paper, then brownpaper then newspaper then gladwrap or in a cake tin.

juliewn, Nov 1, 4:30am
This is our favourite Christmas cake.. there's a lot of writing below that includes preparing the tins and storing - the cake itself is very easy to make.
The recipe makes either a large (roast tin size) cake, or three medium cakes - which is what I do..
No sugar or eggs are in this recipe and it freezes beautifully.
The recipe can be halved easily also.

To prepare the tins:
I lightly grease three tins - round or square; and line the bottom of each with baking paper.
Line the sides with baking paper also, bringing the baking paper 5-6cm higher than the sides of the tins.
Use a little butter to stick the ends of the paper together.

I then cut wide strips of newspaper - the same width as the height of the baking paper - and about 5-6 sheets thick.
Staple those around the OUTSIDE of each tin, until you have a thick band of newspaper around the outside.

For the bottom and tops of the tins and cakes, notes are below..

Christmas Cake:

Ingredients:
Mix together in a large bowl:
1.75kg dried fruit of your choice (I use a mix of sultana's, sticky raisins (sold in a box) and currants.
1 packet glace cherries, chopped or left whole. (optional)
1 packet mixed peel (optional)
2 cans crushed pineapple, including the juice.
Cover and leave overnight or at least 7-8 hours - the pineapple juice will be absorbed by the fruit.

Next day, when ready to make the cake, preheat oven to 120°C. Place an oven rack about a third the way up from the bottom of the oven, and place a flat biscuit tray on this.

Melt 250gms butter.
Add 2 tins of sweetened condensed milk.

Sift together:
4 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp mixed spice.

Stir 2 tsp baking soda into 3 cups cold water.

Add the butter mix, flour mix and water mix to the fruit and stir together well..

Don't forget to have everyone make a wish - close your eyes as you stir the mix.. and wish! :-)

Divide the mix between the tins. Use the back of a spoon to press the mix down well, and level the mix across the top.

On the biscuit tray in the oven, place a thick whole section of a newspaper – about 5-6 layers thick and folded so it’s flat.
Place the cake tins on this, and place another section, about the same thickness, on the top.
The thick sides of the newspaper around the sides of the tins will support the newspaper on top.
The paper will go light brown during cooking – it won’t burn though at this temperature.

Bake for 1 & 1/2 hours, then if you want, decorate the top with a mix of almonds and cherries - or your preferred mix of nuts and cherries. I place them on when it's partly cooked so the nuts and cherries don't sink into the mix.

Bake for 1 & 1/2 hours more and check in the centre with a skewer – continue cooking till the skewer comes out clean - depending on the size of the cake/s, this could be up to several hours longer - your skewer is your guide..

Remove from the oven, and cover the tins with a teatowel, then place a thick towel over that, so it covers the tops and sides of the cakes.
Leave the newspaper around the tins so the cakes cool slowly, and leave overnight in the tin to cool.
Next day, remove the cakes from the tins carefully.

I prefer to freeze my cakes, unless making them a short time before they're needed.
I wrap each of the cakes in three layers of plastic wrap before freezing - as the cake doesn't freeze hard, the flavours continue to develop - and there's no risk of the cake being affected by any mould during humid summer weather.

Hope this helps.. it’s the best cake recipe I’ve ever made for Christmas’, Wedding’s, 21sts, Christening’s and other special occasions.. Cakes have been sent in Christmas parcels to my Son overseas.. I've been making it since a few months before my now 20 year old Daughter was born.. so this Christmas is it's 21st year.

Enjoy :-)

clair4, Nov 1, 4:46am
juliewn, I have wooden boxes for cooking my cakes, so thought that may save all the wrapping as the wood keeps cool and the cakes do not overcook on the sides.Can you please tell me what size tins of pineapple that you use.I am going to make half the recipe tomorrow.Thanks for the yummy recipe.

purplegoanna, Nov 1, 9:57am
bump add your recipe...

walker18, Nov 2, 12:38am
This must be a very sloppy mixture with 3 cups of cold water is this right?

accroul, Nov 2, 12:50am
Looks like it makes 3 cakes though walker18 - 3 cups for 3 cakes I'd say sounds about right.

juliewn, Nov 2, 1:18am
Hi Clair
Oops.. forgot to clarify that.. the 440gm cans.. enjoy the cake.. and don't forget to make a wish :-)

juliewn, Nov 2, 1:21am
Hi.. it's not sloppy.. about the same as most moist Christmas cakes.

The original recipe has a cup of white wine, a cup of sherry and a cup of water.. over many years of trialing, I found that the flavour of the cake is better when water only is used.. it enhances the fruit's used, without bringing in other flavours as I find sherry and wine do..

eastie3, Nov 2, 4:35am
Your recipe is very appealing Julie,thanks for sharing.

The best Christmas cake I have ever eaten was made by Audrey Crowe,the cricket players mother.My manager at the time bought them for staff as a Christmas present and we absolutely loved it.

juliewn, Nov 5, 10:49am
x1
You're most welcome Eastie :-)

toadfish, Nov 5, 5:35pm
Has anyone made Christmas Cakes for gifts using a Texas Muffin pan... I thought I might make some for work colleagues (About 18 in all)

My big question is... how did you line the tins? so you could could cook long and slow without burning?The reason I asked..."Fifie" in another thread said she lined hers with baking paper AND Brown paper... not sure how you would do that.

marywea, Nov 5, 9:52pm
Clair4, Did you make your half mixture? What size tin did you use. My largest is 24cm/ 9 1/2inches. The next size is 22cm, it does look a yummy recipe as does anything with condensed milk. Juliewen, we always made a wish when stirring the Christmas pudding.

lizab, Nov 5, 11:45pm
I made my Christmas cake yesterday - feels so good that I've done it - I've been putting it off for weeks! I always use Nigella Lawson's cake recipe. I think she says it's from a friend's relative in NZ. It's always delish!!

I was annoyed with myself for not making a wish when making the cake yesterday after reading this thread and then I remembered that I usually make a wish when stirring my Christmas pudding mixture and not the cake ;) All's well :)

smileeah, Nov 6, 12:08am
juliewn...Can you please clarify how much butter is in your christmas cake recipe? I have cut and pasted the recipe from another thread on here and just realised the one I have calls for 500g butter and the one on this thread says 250g butter. Thank you.

maynard9, Nov 6, 1:24am
Oh blow.........

I have already made my Xmas Cakes - do them Labour weekend as I have to post one to Chicago for our son.

I do so like anything from you Pam - all of your recipes have never failed and have become favourites.I am ever so tempted to do this recipe.Perhaps I will do a 1/2 mixture.

I always use the wooden cake boxes too - would never go back to tins again.

Perhaps I could make then freeze for later in the year.

Thanks so much for sharing it - and taking all the time to type it all out.

cookessentials, Nov 6, 1:38am
The only recipe I use now is the one that comes with the wooden cake boxes. They make THE best cakes ever as far as I am concerned. The recipe below is for the 26cm cake box

2kg mixed dried fruit
500g butter
500g brown sugar
1 Tbsp golden syrup
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp curry powder
½ tsp salt
125g chopped blanched almonds
1 glass brandy or rum (200 ml)
2 Tbsp cornflour
8 eggs, beaten
500g flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Put fruit, butter, sugar and golden syrup into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to stop the mixture burning. Add lemon, spices, salt, chopped almonds and brandy.

Stirring continuously, simmer for 10 minutes, then add cornflour. Mix well and remove from heat. Leave to cool thoroughly.

Beat eggs. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda, add alternately to cooled fruit mixture. Bake in the middle of the oven at 160 C for 30 minutes. Then 120 C for 4 hours. (Cooking times may vary depending on the oven.) Cool in the box.

scout_6001, Nov 6, 2:16am
Purple, I made this recipe yesterday, it turned out great...have stored it away as per your instructions and will ice it nearer to Christmas.Many thanks for this :)

fn1, Nov 6, 3:30am
Hi...could I please insert a quick query please? Where do you purchase a 'wooden cake box'? Thankyou

winnie231, Nov 6, 3:49am
fn1 - if you do a search here on TM for 'NZ Made Kahikatea Cake Box' you will find one.

clair4, Nov 6, 4:34am
Most good kitchen shops sell the boxes.Hamilton has them but they are getting quite expensive now.I love them tho.I made the cakes from julliewn yesterday and have frozen them today.The recipe gave me the medium box size and and 3 of the 7 inch square cakes.They look good.Have already tried one this morning and they are very moist.The smaller ones are ideal for giving away.

purplegoanna, Nov 6, 4:49am
http://www.woodencakebox.co.nz/ sells them they start at $30, would make a good xmas pressy for the home cook....

purplegoanna, Nov 6, 4:50am
wonderful, the motherinlaw gave it to me a few years ago, its reasonably easy and is really moist.....

cookessentials, Nov 6, 8:36am
They start at $31 for the smallest and Anthea will only supply if
there is not a stockist in your area. Fn1, your stockist in Waimate is:

Vendetti’s EntréeWaimate. Peter and Sally will be able to help you.
0274 815 004
or check Tradme

mimi1, Nov 7, 12:58am
tellme, with cooking xmas cake in a wooden box, is it best to cook on fan-bake or non-fan.thanks.

juliewn, Nov 7, 2:22am
Hi.. I made it with 500gms butter for many years, then last year changed it to 250gms butter - and it didn't taste any different or had any different texture at all - and was still beautifully moist.. I made the whole recipe four times last year, all with 250gms butter.. so will continue using that amount.

The cakes are quite moist - I always store them in my freezer until a couple of days before they're each needed - they don't freeze hard and the flavour continues to develop, and it means the cakes keep beautifully.

Once I've taken one out of the freezer, I keep the cake in my fridge, on a plate andcovered with plastic wrap.. I've never kept it out of the fridge - with it being so moist, I prefer to ensure it keeps by using it from the fridge.

I've used one straight from the freezer and cut to share - with long cool drinks on a summer afternoon with friends who popped in to say hi, it was exceptional. :-)