The Official Xmas Cake Recipe Thread......

Page 4 / 4
smileeah, Nov 14, 9:40am
Whoops, that was me above. Didn't realise hubby was logged in.

lizab, Nov 14, 8:29pm
Nigella Lawson's Christmas Cake recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess can be found here:
http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/advent2002/recipes/ChristCake.htm

accroul, Nov 16, 8:39am
The recipe I have for xmas cake only has 2T of sherry in it. Is that sufficient alcohol for it to keep until xmas if I make it now! I don't want to have to keep pouring liberal amounts of alcohol over it or freeze it either.

davidt4, Nov 16, 11:53pm
Unless it's an extremely wet cake that should be fine.it's not just the alcohol that preserves the cake, it's the very high sugar content from the sugar and dried fruit.

juliewn, Nov 17, 2:35pm
Bumping for shazzie10

elliehen, Nov 18, 12:26am
Bumping for alessia

ayglepaygle, Nov 18, 6:51am
Hi Juliewn - what size cake tins do you use!Thanks

suzanna, Nov 22, 11:35am
Hi Juliewn forgive me if this question has been asked already. I really like your recipe and am wondering if you have made small single cakes with it! Particularly like the no sugar bit. Cheers

juliewn, Nov 22, 1:38pm
Hi Suzanna. I haven't made the recipe as single cakes, however would think they'd be successful.

I'd grease the tins then line them with baking paper, then instead of using newspaper around the outside, I'd use 3 or 4 layers of tinfoil and press them to the shape around the sides and bottom of the outside of the tins. Newspaper could still be used above and below the cakes, as included in my post with the recipe.

Enjoy the recipe. it's delicious. :-)

Cheers. Julie

bev00, Nov 17, 10:54am
too good to lose such wonderful tips .

maximus44, Nov 18, 4:51am
I have just made three Alison Holst pineapple Christmas cakes for a resthome/hospital that I am a volunteer at. Tasted the first one a few days ago and it is beautiful. Very easy recipe. If anyone would like it - please let me know and I will post it.