Wanting delicious chicken salad recipes

amanda_simonp, Oct 30, 5:48am
anyone have any good ones.had a delicious one at Paper moon cafe in mairangi bay yesterday which had dried noodles in it and my mum a thai beef one.Oh would just love to beable to make them like theirs.

motorbo, Oct 30, 6:34am
start simple, you can buy a good thai mix in the vege department to use it is yum with chicken or beef, i did one with beef that could be changed to chicken, i cubed and pan fried pumpkin, fancy lettcue mix topped with cucumber, tomatoe and red onion, the cubes of pumpkin and i also use dry toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds and sprinkle over the slice the meat to go on top, part cooked brocolli is yum in salads too

evebee, Oct 30, 11:03pm
Chicken Salad.
3 tablespoons mayo
curry powder to taste, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 Tablespoon mango chutney [Use a little less], sultanas, Groung black pepper.
Mix all together. Add shredded cooked chicken. Toss together.
Servw with baked potato
this is lovely

toadfish, Oct 30, 11:32pm
I was away last weekend and had a Thai beef salad for one lunch and a satay chicken salad on another day... like you I have fallen in love with "cafe" style salads... so much i have brought a set of lovely white large salad bowls in an attempt to recreate them.... so will watch this thread with interest..

toadfish, Oct 30, 11:34pm
Do you mean a mix to cook your meat in or a mix of suitable salad vegies...as you mentioned buying it in the vegie dept.

amanda_simonp, Nov 1, 6:07am
Thank you so much.Keep them coming please.Love love love these summer salads

gardie, Nov 1, 7:24am
Tonight we had baby lettuce leaves, finely shredded red cabbage, diced tomatoes and cucumbers,stir fried asparagus (cut in 1/3's and popped on top still slightly warm), and chopped up rotisserie chicken all coated in balsamic vinaigrette.It was very yum.A bit of fresh mango sliced up would have been nice with it too - if only I had some!

PSI love adding finely sliced red cabbage to salads, it looks great and adds wonderful nutrition.I just slice it then cut across the slices to lengths about 2-3 cm long

toadfish, Nov 7, 2:58am
Thai beef salad (I am sure you could substitute chicken)

Ingredients (serves 4)
1 1/2 tbs fresh lime juice
1 tbs finely chopped dark palm sugar
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 (about 680g) beef rump steak
1 x 200g pkt grape tomatoes, halved
1 continental cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced diagonally
1 red onion, halved, cut into thin wedges
2 long fresh red chillies, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced lengthways
1 bunch fresh mint, leaves picked, large leaves torn
1 bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
1 bunch fresh Thai basil, leaves picked, large leaves torn
55g (1/3 cup) toasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
4 kaffir lime leaves, centre veins removed, finely shredded

Method
Whisk together lime juice, palm sugar, fish sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and garlic in a jug. Place the steak in a glass or ceramic dish. Drizzle with half the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge, turning occasionally, for 2 hours to develop the flavours.

Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill pan on high. Cook steak on grill for 2-3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.

Place the tomato, cucumber, onion, chilli, mint, coriander, basil, peanuts and lime leaves in a large bowl. Thinly slice steak across the grain and add to the salad. Drizzle with remaining dressing and gently toss to combine. Divide salad among bowls and serve immediately.

Bring on spring with gorgeous lamb recipes, salad recipes and strawberry & pineapple recipes.

toadfish, Nov 7, 3:02am
Another one i am going to try....

Grilled Chicken Satay Salad

6 Servings

1 flour tortilla, cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/8 inch strips
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons finely chopped peanuts
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/4 pounds)
6 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
1/3 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 Heat oven to 350ºF.
2 Arrange tortilla strips in single layer on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 7 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned.
3 Meanwhile, make peanut satay dressing.
4 Beat vinegar, peanut butter, peanuts, sugar, oils, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic in small bowl with whisk until smooth and creamy.
5 Place chicken in resealable plastic bag; add 3 tablespoons dressing. Seal bag; turn to coat. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Refrigerate remaining dressing.
6 Brush grill rack with oil. Grill chicken covered, 10-15 minutes until juice is no longer pink.
7 Cut chicken into strips.
8 Toss remaining salad ingredients in large bowl. Toss with chicken and remaining dressing.
9 Divide salad among 6 plates. Sprinkle with tortilla strips.

toadfish, Nov 13, 9:55pm
Have my cooking Mojo back with avengance.... I have a whole roast chicken cooking and have just popped in Kumera, Pasnips, carrots and potatoes cut in about 1-1.5cm peices. I will toss the vegies in Asian dressing when they come out the oven and leave to cool.

When the chicken is cold tonight the aim is to make a "Cafe Style" Chicken salad.. Salad vegetables on the bottom... root vegetables sprinkled over that.. then shredded Chicken with a satay dressing over that....

Still not sure how I will make the dressing yet.. have several recipes but am tending towards thinning down Java Satay Sauce (Bit on the side) with Lite coconut milk mainly because I know the family really loves the flavour and I a trying to get hubby to like the idea of "cafe salads" as a REAL dinner....

toadfish, Oct 30, 11:32pm
I was away last weekend and had a Thai beef salad for one lunch and a satay chicken salad on another day. like you I have fallen in love with "cafe" style salads. so much i have brought a set of lovely white large salad bowls in an attempt to recreate them. so will watch this thread with interest.

toadfish, Oct 30, 11:34pm
Do you mean a mix to cook your meat in or a mix of suitable salad vegies.as you mentioned buying it in the vegie dept.

gardie, Nov 1, 7:24am
Tonight we had baby lettuce leaves, finely shredded red cabbage, diced tomatoes and cucumbers,stir fried asparagus (cut in 1/3's and popped on top still slightly warm), and chopped up rotisserie chicken all coated in balsamic vinaigrette.It was very yum.A bit of fresh mango sliced up would have been nice with it too - if only I had some!

PSI love adding finely sliced red cabbage to salads, it looks great and adds wonderful nutrition.I just slice it then cut across the slices to lengths about 2-3 cm long

toadfish, Nov 7, 3:02am
Another one i am going to try.

Grilled Chicken Satay Salad

6 Servings

1 flour tortilla, cut in half, then cut crosswise into 1/8 inch strips
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons finely chopped peanuts
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped gingerroot
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/4 pounds)
6 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
1/3 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 Heat oven to 350ºF.
2 Arrange tortilla strips in single layer on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 7 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned.
3 Meanwhile, make peanut satay dressing.
4 Beat vinegar, peanut butter, peanuts, sugar, oils, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic in small bowl with whisk until smooth and creamy.
5 Place chicken in resealable plastic bag; add 3 tablespoons dressing. Seal bag; turn to coat. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Refrigerate remaining dressing.
6 Brush grill rack with oil. Grill chicken covered, 10-15 minutes until juice is no longer pink.
7 Cut chicken into strips.
8 Toss remaining salad ingredients in large bowl. Toss with chicken and remaining dressing.
9 Divide salad among 6 plates. Sprinkle with tortilla strips.

suzanna, Nov 12, 8:52am
Good thread so bumping for more postings.

litedelites, Nov 12, 7:32pm
I think you can make any salad you like with your favourite ingredients and that it is the dressing that makes the salad.I have not long been back from a holiday where they used cranberries in the salads and this was yummy and would be great with chicken. They also had walnuts in the same salad and it gave it different textures.

davidt4, Nov 12, 8:59pm
This is one of my stand-bys in the summer.It will keep and improve in the fridge for a couple of days.

Vietnamese Chicken, Cabbage & Mint Salad

Serves 2 – 4

Dressing:

1 hot chilli seeded and chopped
1 large garlic clove finely chopped
1 tab palm sugar
1 ½ tsp rice vinegar
1 ½ tab lime juice
1 ½ tab fish sauce
1 ½ tab vegetable oil
½ med onion finely sliced
black pepper

200g white cabbage shredded
1 med carrot finely julienned or grated
200g cooked chicken breast shredded
big bunch of mint coarsely chopped

(optional - 100 g peanuts, roasted and chopped)

Mix veges & chicken, add dressing and mix very well.Check for salt.

toadfish, Nov 13, 9:55pm
Have my cooking Mojo back with avengance. I have a whole roast chicken cooking and have just popped in Kumera, Pasnips, carrots and potatoes cut in about 1-1.5cm peices. I will toss the vegies in Asian dressing when they come out the oven and leave to cool.

When the chicken is cold tonight the aim is to make a "Cafe Style" Chicken salad. Salad vegetables on the bottom. root vegetables sprinkled over that. then shredded Chicken with a satay dressing over that.

Still not sure how I will make the dressing yet. have several recipes but am tending towards thinning down Java Satay Sauce (Bit on the side) with Lite coconut milk mainly because I know the family really loves the flavour and I am trying to get hubby to like the idea of "cafe salads" as a REAL dinner.