Xmas menu for a warm day, 10 people & no barbie?

Page 2 / 2
duckmoon, Oct 30, 9:00am
have you googled Nigellas "chocolate cherry trifle"... it isn't trifle as you know it...

Alternative desserts - I have great recipe for a lemon riccotta flan - made a day ahead - Julie Buiso ...

marcs, Oct 31, 1:51am
We live in Perth so the temp is bound to be high 30's by then. I normally just do a big fancy breakfast either on the barbie or the stove depending on what the temprature is outside. I would do either bacon, eggs and the lot or make waffles and pancakes with lots of seasonal fruit and some christmas ham. I would make extras so you can pick throughout the day if you wanted to.

marie74, Oct 31, 2:17am
Special Dessert:
Choc Eclairs/Cream Puffs.Instead of making individual eclairs/puffs I use the same recipe but shape into a wreath shape circle on a greased oven tray/or baking paper lined tray.Just shape mixture into a ring tin shape so that you get the hole in the middle.Cook as per normal.When cold slice completely through the centre with a sharp serated knife about two thirds of the way up the shape.You will then carefully lift the top half off, and fill the bottom half with whipped cream and chopped up strawberries.Be generous then replace the top half and ice with choc icing. or just drizzle choc icing over the top. This is really easy, even tho I have made it sound a bit complicated. No need to have a perfect round shape, it looks cool with the rough sort of edges. Cream and strawberries sort of poke out the side.You can use other fruit as well/or instead of.
Always a hit and looks really good. Does not matter if the top breaks as you just place it back on top. A never fail.

timetable, Oct 31, 3:41am
we just so adicted to christmas that we go all out and its brill cos then the fridge, the cupboards, the tins and the frezzer are full and i don't cook for a week...well acutually a good part of jan really!!! lol..

we have an antipasta spread for christmas eve tea, including homemade pate, cream cheese spreads, smoked salmon, crusteenies, olives etc and cold meats.. this year garlic prawns as well...then full on lunch or dinner (depends on the weather) for christmas day... turkey that has been in nigella's soak for 3 days, stuffed with sausagemeat stuffing and a nice bread and herb stuffing and rubbed happily with a herb butter...then new spuds, peas and carrots from the garden, wild rice salad, nigella's red slaw and christmas couscous salad...then rolled pav, fresh fruit salad, ambrosia, christmas pud, home made ice cream, and a small trifle for me dad - he adores the stuff!!
and of course all the nibbles, tin fillers etc etc etc...ahhhhhhhhhhh christmas - i loves it!!!!

alfredtonroad, Oct 31, 4:16am
mckenzie2 could you post your recipe for pumpkin salad please?

amazing_grace, Oct 31, 6:00am
Spiced nuts are good as a nibble, and very christmassy.Into a hot pan put some oil and your nuts, heat about 10 mins without burning them till they are toasted.Toss in chilli powder and a bit of curry powder.

Spiced Walnuts, toss walnuts in beaten egg white, then in a mix of icing sugar and cinnamon.Let dry without touching so they dont stick to each other.

Anna's Brie Parcels.Make squares of filo pastry, put in 3 cubes of brie, bring upto make a parcel, bake till golden, serve hot or cold with a can of cranberries or raspberries you have whizzed to a pulp with the whizz stick.

amazing_grace, Oct 31, 6:04am
Christmas pudding icecream:Soften a 2l of vanilla icecream, stir in dried cranberries, almonds, your plonk of choice and any other fruit and nuts that take your fancy.Freeze in a pudding bowl.A few days before Christmas, melt one 250g bar of white chocolate, spread onto a large piece of gladwrap.Take icecream out of pudding and upend onto its final resting plate.Lay the chocolate gladwrap overthe top, choc side down.Peel off gladwrap.Refreeze till Xmas.Decorate with frozen cherries.

mackenzie2, Oct 31, 7:24am
Easy Easy....
Roast 2 inch by 2 inch cubes of pumpkin, in sundried tomato oil, until cooked (crisp on outside, slighly browned) Put onto platter, add cubed feta, sundried tomato's (chopped) and roasted seasame seeds, no need for a dressing as the pumpkin oozes the oil out..... You can use roasted peppers instead of tomato if you chose. Gorg served either warm or cold (I prefer cold)

babyluthi, Oct 31, 11:12am
Smoked chickens, cold roasted beef, cold roasted pork?

timetable, Oct 31, 11:38am
hey thanks everyone for the neat recipes!!blessings for this new day... 53 to go till turkey time lol

cornwall3, Nov 8, 8:41am
Wow. I am so pleased I asked you! Heaps of great ideas here. I am still deciding, so if you want to keep the thread going, I am still listening and salivating, and I think others are getting great ideas too ... thanks!!!

timetable, Nov 8, 7:27pm
oh my goodness...running christmas cooking classes again this year and found the most amazing recipe for tarimasu!!no booze - cos i can't lol (check me profile) but substatuted with drinking choc made up into a lovely spreadable paste...and the cream cheese and coffee liquid made it all lovely and moist.... rather rich lol but not too sweet... also a boysenberry delight...and good old gingernut log... happy christmas prep all.... 45 days to go....

wahinetoa62, Nov 8, 10:53pm
i think nice wee nibbles with salads is great so you can nibble instead of eating heaps and getting full...lil goat cheese and salami tarts etc

valentino, Nov 8, 11:07pm
Yeah, Christmas ham is the real deal.... but for that extra bit, try roasted Lamb shanks with a nice mint jelly and sauce, loved getting hold of something and nibbling on it, just like a turkey drumstick sort-of-thing.

Desserts also must be the real deal, elderly usually love the moist items with that special touch..... love being kids again at certain times like this ocassion as they dwell on great memories...

Hopes this helps.

cornwall3, Nov 9, 6:04am
Duckmoon, your lemon riccotta flan, can we have the recipe (or is it copyright to the chef you mention?)?

cornwall3, Jul 23, 8:09pm