What is reduced-calorie syrup (fructose sweetened)

sapphirez, Oct 22, 8:23am
I am wanting to make a recipe in my weight loss program for low fat-low sugar granola, i have no idea what reduced-calorie syrup (fructose sweetened) is?and where would i get it?

uli, Oct 22, 8:19pm
I don't know where to buy it sapphirez. However before you buy it please do some research about fructose metabolism.

In the last years there has been quite an interest in researching fructose metabolism and what it does in the human body. This was mainly fueled by the use of high fructose corn syrup - one of the cheap sweeteners used in the "food"industry.

It is hard to explain it all in one or two easy to understand sentences so if you are interested I can give you some links.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 22, 8:39pm
Look at this video - if you have an hour to spare -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

uli, Oct 22, 10:19pm
Just came across an easy to understand explanation (no medical terms) in case you want to read it:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Fructose_Metabolism

Excerpt:
The main difference when it comes to fructose versus glucose in terms of how they are handled by the body is that fructose is handled by the liver whereas glucose is handled by the muscles of the body.

The liver itself has a storage capacity of about 100 grams for fructose, when intake from the diet exceeds this, the liver will start to process this fructose, turning them into triglycerides and releasing them into the blood stream. This in return increases your chances for heart disease so it is definitely something you want to avoid.

One single piece of fruit contains only about 5-8 grams of fructose so fruit consumption is not the major worry here, but rather all those other products, particularly those with HFCS that you need to be watching in the diet.

In terms of when to eat your fructose consuming foods, you should focus a small amount of them right after a workout ...

For more info read the above link.
Good luck with your weight loss program!

buzzy110, Oct 23, 1:03am
Low fat, sugar granola!! And this is considered 'healthy'? Will wonders never cease?

Fructose is supposed to be healthy because it takes a lot longer than glucose for metabolism to take place. However, that theory is open to much debate and in the meantime those people who consume a lot of fructose sweetened foods are among the fattest people and least healthy people on the planet.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 23, 3:42am
Here's some more reading about fructose intolerance -
http://primalmuse.blogspot.com/2010/10/fructose-intolerance.html

kate777, Oct 24, 11:50am
You could use agave syrup instead. Health food shops have it.

uli, Oct 24, 8:46pm

kate777, Oct 24, 9:52pm
The TA didn't ask for a lecture or links to 'the sky is falling.com', and neither did I.

Seriously, don't you get tired of telling people how wrong they are all the time?

bedazzledjewels, Jun 21, 6:56pm
Then don't read them. Simple choice really. Others may be interested.