Eggplant

Page 1 / 2
skata, Oct 19, 2:07am
Do I fry or grill it?

cookessentials, Oct 19, 2:20am
It is nice grilled. I slice mine, either in rounds, or lengthways, I salt it ( now some say you dont need to, but it actually takes out any bitterness and helps stop the aubergine soaking up too much liquid)
salt well and pop into a colander in the sink. Let it sit about 20 mins. Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels. Brush each slice with olive oil on both sides and grill. They are lovely grilled on the BBQ.

nondescipt, Oct 19, 4:56am
Its nice sliced into rounds and covered with salt,tumeric and sugar, fry until really brown in colour.

darlingmole, Oct 19, 5:17am
it's also nice dipped in eggs, breadcrumbs and a smattering of grated parmasan cheese.Also lovely in casseroles (moussaka to name just one) and awesome bbqed! and drizzled with balsamic vinegar

lofthouse, Oct 19, 6:10am
I have just tried it this way and it's great - very tasty, lower in fat and easy!

Slice eggplant into 1cm rounds.Spread with chutney (I used Barkers olive & sundried tomato) and then roasted for 20 minutes or so.I then crumbled some feta on the top and we had it with a bottle of wine - ym!

motorbo, Oct 19, 6:21am
omg lofthouse i so gotta buy a eggplant now that sounds delish!!!

cookessentials, Oct 23, 5:20am
You can also do a lovely Turkish dish called Imam Bayeldi which is basically stiuffed eggplant (vegetarian) we have this often and always enjoy it.

motorbo, Oct 23, 7:58am
i love talking about food, and its cos of you lovely foodies that i actually bought and ate eggplant, damn its nice it will now be a regular on my menu!!

marree, Oct 23, 8:07am
I have many Middle Eastern recipes, but all above sound good (it is an 'acquired taste' tho - not everyone likes (but us who do enjoy!).

nfh1, Oct 23, 8:09am
I have never cooked with it, but it always looks so lovely and shiny!

I am going to try one on the BBQ.

buzzy110, Oct 23, 11:15am
Make sure you cook it thoroughly. It is a truly delicious vegetable when properly cooked but not nice if half raw.

buzzy110, Oct 23, 11:17am
I gotta say that sounds rather delicious and very very original. I'd never have thought to do that though I have, on occasion, added cheese at the end of cooking to make a 'grilled cheese' sandwich. It is definitely on my list of great ideas that need to be tried.

marree, Oct 23, 7:32pm
Oh I think I will have eggplant tonight, might fry, however think I might stuff it - yum yum!

skata, Oct 19, 2:07am
Do I fry or grill it!

darlingmole, Oct 19, 5:17am
it's also nice dipped in eggs, breadcrumbs and a smattering of grated parmasan cheese.Also lovely in casseroles (moussaka to name just one) and awesome bbqed! and drizzled with balsamic vinegar

lofthouse, Oct 19, 6:10am
I have just tried it this way and it's great - very tasty, lower in fat and easy!

Slice eggplant into 1cm rounds.Spread with chutney (I used Barkers olive & sundried tomato) and then roasted for 20 minutes or so.I then crumbled some feta on the top and we had it with a bottle of wine - ym!

motorbo, Oct 19, 6:21am
omg lofthouse i so gotta buy a eggplant now that sounds delish!

elliehen, Oct 21, 10:32am
Eggplant is in the shops here at good prices right now.

bev00, Oct 21, 11:24am
saving for the eggplant glut .

frances1266, Oct 21, 10:25pm
I have found that eggplants now do not generally need to be salted. I havent done it for a while but I used to just egg and crumb them and bake them in the oven.
This was very nice.

herself, Oct 22, 4:07am
I don't ever salt and drain eggplant.Never had a bitter one yet.Love them done on the bbq or in a grill pan with capsicum and courgettes, salt & pepper & drizzled with garlic infused avocado oil.oh my, hurry up summer time!

clarebear5, Oct 22, 5:30am
I find they only need salting if the eggplant is more mature - the seeds show as brown when it is sliced.If you cant see any seeds, or they are white, then I dont bother, as they arnt bitter when young.

deedonk, Oct 22, 5:37am
Lofthouse.that sounds soooo good! Gonna try that one. I've managed to get a lot of my friends raving about eggplant seeing as they've never tried it before by making Parmigiana. delish!

carlosjackal, Oct 22, 9:49am
Aubergines (egg plant) are very nice sliced and roasted with a drizzling ofgood quality olive oil.

Also, very nice in a vegetarian lasagne like Chef Neil Perry's from Rockpool Bar and Grill.

motorbo, Oct 24, 7:58am
i love talking about food, and its cos of you lovely foodies that i actually bought and ate eggplant, damn its nice it will now be a regular on my menu!