Christmas cake sunk in the middle

jrxxxx, Oct 18, 8:06pm
Made Julie le Clerc's recipe yesterday, followed directions exactly, same tin size, same temperature fan bake etc and it has sunk in the middle.I tested it to see if it was cooked through, ok.
Have made many Christmas cakes over the years and this is the first time one has sunk.Can any of you wonderful & experienced cooks out there give an explanation please.TIA.

cookessentials, Oct 18, 8:49pm
It could be the weight of the fruit. The suggestion is to dust the fruit in flour before adding to the mixture, it helps to stop it sinking. Not really sure of any other reasons why that would have happened.

jrxxxx, Oct 18, 9:13pm
Thanks for your advice.In this recipe the fruit is boiled with butter, water & spice, left to cool, then the flour is added.
It seemed strange not to have any eggs in the recipe. I've checked it out on other sites & the recipe appears to be kosher.
Perhaps someone who has tried this particular recipe could report on their results.The cake's a good colour and smells delicious. I guess it's one for our pantry & not a give away. :]

margyr, Oct 18, 9:21pm
fill the hollow with Christmas goodies.

cgvl, Oct 18, 9:25pm
I have used a recipe for christmas cake for many years and occasionally have that self same problem. Not sure what causes it but sometimes it sinks in the middle other times it doesn't. Oh and I have made several cakes at the same time and have had some of them sink and others not.
Often make up to 6 cakes for family and friends.
I if icing them turn them upside down and ice the bottom or you could do as many professional cake places do and slice off the top to level it, then ice.

cookessentials, Oct 18, 9:25pm
Are you going to cover it in marzipan and/or icing? If so, you could turn upside down and decorate.
Julie has a website, you could contact her and ask, I am sure she would be able to help.

jrxxxx, Jun 9, 6:19pm
Thanks everyone.It might be the SR flour, I've had it a while.Will try another one with very fresh flour, might make all the difference.
I won't be able to ice it as I decorated the top with almonds & cherries.
I'm sure it will still taste delicious.