Curry sauce?

calista, Oct 15, 8:03pm
My Dad is 85 and cooks his own simple meals since mum died.He wants to cook a curry, but when I read him him the list of ingredients he said, " I don't want any of that fancy stuff, I just want a curry".I know that what he calls "the fancy stuff" is probably an integral part of the recipe but is there any way of simplifying, say making a sauce that could be poured over mince or sausages?

Failing that is there a packet or bottle of readymade stuff he can use?

I don't eat curries myself and am really no help to him there, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. Thanking everyone in anticipation - I know recipes people will come up with some ideas.

noonesgirl, Oct 15, 9:26pm
Curry (Edmonds)
500gr meat
25gr dripping
1 onion
1 apple
25gr flour
1dsp curry powder
1dsp chutney (opt)
1 apple
1tsp salt
2 Oxo cubes
450ml (3/4 pt) boiling water

Melt dripping, lightly fry the onion, add cut up apple &cubes of meat coated with flour. Add curry & seasoning, then add Oxo cubes crumbled & dissolved in the boiling water. Bringto simmering point & cook gently 2 hrs. Coconut or raisins may be added.

Checkout the l/h message board. Key in Curry in keyword or member bar, then date posted key anytime

deus701, Oct 15, 9:29pm
Buy him a pack of japanese curry. Its called SB and have different variations like tomato curry, mild med or hot versions. You just break it into chunks and dissolve in boiling water/stew.

smileeah, Oct 15, 9:31pm
Curry Sauce (my mothers recipe)

Fry 1 chopped onion and 1 dessertspoon finely chopped apple in 1 1/2T butter. Stir in 1T cornflour, 1T curry powder (or to taste) and 1/2 pint water. Add a few raisins, desicated coconut, 2T chutney and a squeeze of lemon juice.

calista, Oct 16, 12:10am
Thanks noonesgirl, and smileeah. these were the ingrediedients he said were 'fancy' - did I mention he was 85 going on 2?It sometimes seems that he sets up impossible limits, then want the thing to taste as it would if it had those ingredients in it - like an impossible toddler.

I think i'll go to the supermarket and look for a pour on or simmer sauce to recommend to him - of course it will have those ingredients in it - but he doesn't read labels. Deus - thanks for giving me a brand to look for.

Smileeah - I think I'll try your mother's recipe myself - it sounds great and maybe if I make it next time I'm up there he will see how easy it is.

racheee, Oct 16, 1:40am
This is the one I make to put over chips like we used to have in the UK and Ireland.

1 Medium Onion
1 Medium Apple
1 Tablespoon Curry powder
2 Tablespoon Oil
2 Tablespoon Plain flour
600 ml Water (1 pint)
1 Tablespoon Tomato purée
Lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Method

Chop the onion and apple and fry with the curry powder in the oil until tender.

Stir in the flour, cook for 2 minutes and then remove from the heat and add the water, tomato purée, salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.

Very yum.I leave out the onion though as I don't like it.

nauru, Oct 16, 4:28am
Why not buy him a Watties or equivalent ready made sauce that he can just add his meat and veges to.The Korma one is nice, not too spicy.I think that it is wonderful that he cooks for himself at that age, good on him.

esther-anne, Oct 16, 6:05am
The Asian Home Gourmet curry pastes in the purple packets are just wonderful for people like your old Dad.There are very simple instructions to follow and he could make a curry in no time without fussing around with all the individual spices.

I get the Vindaloo because we like a hot curry and of course I add all my own little extras to make it to our taste - but there is really no need to do more than the easy instructions-and you can get the milder ones like Korma, or Butter Chicken - or the hotter Rogan Josh and Vindaloo.

I am sure these would help your Dad make a quick no stress curry!!

buzzy110, Oct 16, 7:10am
Once upon a time a curry was considered making a stew and adding ordinary old curry powder to the onions at the last minute when you were sauteing them. Then you threw in your mince or chunks of meat, browned those, added celery, carrots and stock and cooked till tender. If you wanted something really 'fancy' you used a tin of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice) and some fresh herbs as well. Some people even added frozen peas just near the end of the cooking process. When it was cooked you thickened it with a paste of flour and water or cornflour and water.

That is how things got made in the 'olden' times of our parent's generation and that, I suspect is all your father wants to learn to cook. To him that would be comfort food.

Capsicum, mushrooms and other 'fancy' additions were not really appreciated.

siones, Oct 16, 8:41am
I second the Japanese curry. Very quick and easy to make and my family all love it!!!

calista, Oct 16, 9:37am
Buzzy, I think you're right! Thank you so much.He and I were talking at cross purposes then (which isn't unusual).I'll print up your suggestion as a recipe and send it to him.

In addition I have been to the supermarket and found a Watties Korma- will send the label so he can match it, as well as a purple packet which I'll post as well.

One way or another he will get his curry.

Thank you eveyone.I do love my Dad, but sometimes he seems to expect me to know the things my mother knew, which makes things a bit tense sometimes.

nik12, Oct 16, 9:58am
Yep I agree with buzzy's theory.I was reading thinking, bet he's after curry like my Nana would make.. ie, curry powder added to mince, or made into a sauce for sausages.The maggi cook in the pot, mild curry sausages is a very similar taste by the way.

helpless, Oct 16, 9:39pm
I second the Asian Home Gourmet jobs..Easy as ..chuck in a bit of extra Garlic/whatever..I do all mine in the oven aka Caserole style..Makes that Gravy beef as tender as once you've trimmed it of the excess chewy fat that's prevalent in gravybeef.//Best meat for Curries.

helpless, Oct 16, 9:58pm
Slight edit..outa time so I need to repost.

I do the initial pan job with the onions, meat, paste,Yogurt/cream,,water, lentils etc then chuck it in the oven in my large steel pot ,,,etc etc..Clearer.

horizons_, Oct 16, 10:09pm
Yep, not fancy means, make a stew, throw in the curry powder whith the braising at the beginning, and thicken with flour and water near end of cooking. He'll love you for it.

smileeah, Jun 4, 12:42pm
He might like to make curried sausages and substitute the meat possibly. I fry onions and garlic in oil then add curry to taste (I add 2t) and fry wee bit longer. Coat par boiled and sliced saugages in flour and fry with onions for a minute or so. Add chicken stock (1- 1 1/2 c) and bring to boil then simmer for up to 1 hour. Good old fashioned boiled curry.