"Mae Ploy" red curry paste - anyone tried this?

kuaka, Sep 17, 9:56am
I bought some the other day at the local four square shop - it seemed like a good buy - I think it was $1.20.It should come with a health warning, or at the very least, a fire extinguisher!

winnie231, Sep 17, 7:41pm
I use Mae Ploy curry pastes - red, yellow & green.
They're great! No nasties in them - just good flavour.
Try putting a spoonful (tspn or Tblspn - depends how hot you like it) of the red paste into Pumpkin soup while it's cooking - takes it to a whole new dimension! This was my best-selling soup when I was still running the cafe :)

chef1964, Sep 17, 9:53pm
the red will be the hottest of them
but yes we use them at work all the time
just remember a little goes a very long way

beaker59, Sep 17, 10:03pm
Personally I think the green is harsher than the red which is more of a deep warming heat. I didn't think the pastes were particularly hot Thai and Cambodian friends and family usually add extra chilli to thiers. I have tried making my own as I grow some pretty good lemon grass but struggle to make it as good or consistant as the bought ones. The pastes made by friends and family from that area are really firey hot.

kuaka, Sep 17, 10:28pm
Hmm, well I like hot curries, my other half doesn't, but I just followed the instructions which said to use the whole pack - big mistake - I added lots of coconut milk, but it was still hot.I ate mine, but hubby couldn't.Never mind, lesson learned.I must tell my son about it as he loves really really hot stuff!

davidt4, Sep 17, 10:31pm
Beaker59 my experience is different - once I started making my own curry pastes I found the commercial ones very dull tasting.They are a lot of trouble though by the time you clean the coriander roots, galangal and lemongrass, roast shrimp paste, grate kaffir lime zest etc. but totally worthwhile.

Would you like some recipes?

beaker59, Sep 18, 12:28am
I have recipes thanks David and I have seen your recipes here before they are great. Though perhaps others may.

anubis1, Sep 18, 2:48am
hi guys, am wanting a good recipe for a beef or lamb curry .. help ?

winnie231, Sep 18, 3:39am
anubis1 - what stlye of curry are you wanting?
Indian, Thai or ...? How hot? Tomato based or creamy or ?
Give us some more info & I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

winnie231, Sep 18, 3:43am
You can get Mae Ploy in tubs - it keeps for ages & is more economical than the sachets. Plus it makes it easier to use as much or as little as you want. I think they're about $4.50

eastie3, Sep 18, 3:46am
Am I right in thinking that red is the hottest of the curry pastes,then green then yellow being the mildest ?

If not what is ?

davidt4, Sep 18, 3:47am
If you carry out a search of this messageboard you will find many recipes for various curries.Jusy type "Curry" into the search box and change Date posted to "Anytime".

peter148, Apr 30, 11:53pm
Yes, although it depends on how much curry paste you use.

I work in a Thai restaurant and the Thai chefs only use Mae Ploy, so consider it to be authentic.

There is also brown curry, which is an indian style like Mussaman, and Penang curry which is like Red