Butter or Marg?

vix.tribe, Sep 6, 12:35am
I've always preferred the taste of butter, especially on things like toast. Is there a huge benefit to using margarine?

chef1964, Sep 6, 12:42am
some margarines yes but not all margarines are equal and then of course theres table spread whiuch is different again

cookessentials, Sep 6, 12:53am
Butter for me

bedazzledjewels, Sep 6, 1:00am
OMG - not again!

Please use the search function to your left and select 'anytime' in the drop down box. You'll find a long-running arguement there!

cookessentials, Sep 6, 1:01am
and that is what starts it BJ- preferences have been asked for, nothing more. Not a "why do you?" just a "what do you prefer?"

elliehen, Sep 6, 1:22am
Butter for baking biscuits (nice taste); margarine for baking cakes (makes them lighter and gives good volume); butter on potatoes in their jackets; margarine in sandwiches (a mere scraping is needed to help make the fillings stick - in the US mayo is used in sammies); butter on toast (nice taste, but not so much that it's dripping down to your wrists).

So it's horses for courses, the best of both worlds.Saturated fat (butter) is kept to minimum and becomes a tiny treat when you have it.It is impossible to overeat margarine - it does not have the melt-in-the mouth temperature of butter, so you tend to use less.

Using lesser amounts of all fats is a moderate way to eat and good for your heart and your overall health :)

chef1964, Sep 6, 1:40am
well said elliehen , I agree with it all , but i do use cream cheese or mayo often as marg substitutes in my sammies :)

bedazzledjewels, Sep 6, 1:47am
Okay Cookie - here's my answer - absolutely no benefit in using margarine - end of story - from here anyway!

davidt4, Sep 6, 1:58am
There is no benefit in using margarine.It tastes horrible and is no good for your health.

vix.tribe, Sep 6, 2:11am
Thank you :-)
I've always been a believer in "everything in moderation" and being sensible rather than crash dieting. We're in the middle of a long over due overhaul of what we're eating in this house... we don't use a lot of butter but do prefer the taste.

nigel1300, Sep 6, 2:21am
Butter, sends your taste buds a message of joy, is more natural, has been around a lot longer than margerine.Butter is just plain betterer hehe. :-D

wasgonna, Sep 6, 2:58am
Butter, and guess what? It WON'T kill you and when you're 90+ and still going strong you'll look back on your life and try to imagine what it would have like without butter.

wasgonna, Sep 6, 2:59am
Should have read ... "would have been like without butter".

sleyle, Mar 1, 6:41pm
Butter all the way - don't fancy eating plastic!