Tofu - Tasty Ideas

Page 1 / 2
moparpete, Aug 20, 3:30am
any good tasty recipes out there. I tried making a chinese sweet and sour version in a sauce but it didn't taste good. How do you cook them and what kind do you choose. Would really like to try my hands on them.

ferita, Aug 20, 3:39am
You really need to marinate and fry tofu if you are you to eat it straight.

You can mash it and add dishes like quiches.

Mash it and mix with some cold cooked brown rice grated carrot, eggs, some grated cheese and grated onion. Form into patties and cover in bread crumbs and fry.

summersunnz, Aug 20, 3:53am
I saw some books on cooking with tofu on Trademe - might be of help - one included how to make tofu - they're here:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults. aspx? searchTyp
e=all&searchString=tofu%20recipe%20book&type=Search&
amp;generalSearch_keypresses=16&generalSearch_suggested=
0&? supprR=1&z=4&searchregion=100

Ferita - can tofu be used in sweet dishes also? TIA.

ferita, Aug 20, 6:07am
yes for sure. There are tofu 'cheese cake" recipes and it can be used to make tofu custard. http://www.ifood. tv/recipe/tofu_custard

nauru, Aug 20, 6:43am
Make a marinade of 2 tablsp soy sauce, 1 teasp crushed ginger, 1 teasp crushed garlic, 2 tablsp liquid honey and chilli if you like it. Mix all ingredients together. Cut firm tofu into cubesand put into a bowl, pour over marinade, leave 3-4 hours or overnight in the fridge. Stir fry own choice of veges, remove from pan. Gently stir fry drained tofu in pan until lightly browned. Remove from pan and add to veges, add marinade to pan with 1/2 cup stock and simmer 2 mins, thicken with a little cornflour paste. Add tofu and stir fry veges to sauce, heat through then serve with steamed rice.

borncrazy1, Mar 9, 9:20am
Awesome!

frances1266, Mar 9, 9:57am
One of my favourite ways with tofu is to slice thinly, saute in olive oil until golden and crisp on each side.Serve with Deborah Madisons quick sate sauce.Google for Deborah Madisons quick satay sauce recipe.It is delicious.
Has coriander, peanut butter, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic - that is what I can remember but know it is there if you google.I serve it with brown rice and stir fry veg and never tire of it.

elliehen, Mar 9, 10:20am
Thanks frances1266....

Googled : Dump 1/2 a cup of peanut butter (the crushed, natural kind) into the bowl of a food processor. Add a clove of garlic, minced to a paste, and 2 tablespoons each of shoyu, grated palm sugar and black vinegar. (Less) brown sugar for palm; balsamic vinegar for black. Puree. Pour 1/2 cup of hot water - slowly - down the feed chute. Chopped chilli when you want heat. Chopped coriander if you've got it.

frances1266, Mar 9, 10:37am
That isnt the sate sauce I was thinking of Ellie.Dont have Deborah Madisons Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone with me at present but am sure I have found it on google before.

elliehen, Mar 9, 10:44am

frances1266, Mar 9, 7:50pm
Deborah Madison has a few sate sauce recipes. The website indiadivine.org has the recipe.It is called Quick Peanut Sauce and is quick and delicious.
Love the site you gave Ellie.

visionspring, Mar 9, 7:52pm
You can try making tofu in a curry, like Palak paneer - just use the tofu (firm) in place of the paneer. It will soak up the flavour and taste so yum!

ant_sonja, Mar 9, 8:30pm
You definitely need to marinade the stuff to get it to take on any flavour - Once marinated (try soy/fish sauce/garlic/honey or any flavour combo of your choice) you can 'crumb' the tofu pieces in sesame seeds and fry until golden in a wok with plenty of oil but don't get it too hot or the seeds will burn. Serve with a dipping sauce and stir fried veg such as bok choy drizzled in sesame oil and seasoned with a little more fish or soy sauce. Or serve alongside a noodle/egg drop soup.

elliehen, Mar 10, 10:20am
Thanks frances1266.

Googled : Dump 1/2 a cup of peanut butter (the crushed, natural kind) into the bowl of a food processor. Add a clove of garlic, minced to a paste, and 2 tablespoons each of shoyu, grated palm sugar and black vinegar. (Less) brown sugar for palm; balsamic vinegar for black. Puree. Pour 1/2 cup of hot water - slowly - down the feed chute. Chopped chilli when you want heat. Chopped coriander if you've got it.

ant_sonja, Mar 10, 8:30pm
You definitely need to marinade the stuff to get it to take on any flavour - Once marinated (try soy/fish sauce/garlic/honey or any flavour combo of your choice) you can 'crumb' the tofu pieces in sesame seeds and fry until golden in a wok with plenty of oil but don't get it too hot or the seeds will burn. Serve with a dipping sauce and stir fried veg such as bok choy drizzled in sesame oil and seasoned with a little more fish or soy sauce. Or serve alongside a noodle/egg drop soup.

poohbearfan3, Mar 15, 1:56am
I always just do mine in the wok with a little bit of oil/spray, brown it up, then add whatever sauce I want (sweet and sour, butter chicken, satay etc) and then serve on rice.

obsidianwings, Mar 15, 11:16pm
You can use it in most ways you would use chicken, and in desserts. There are lots of nice recipes of http://www.theppk.com
I have a nice enchilada recipe using it, if you are interested I will post later

bev00, Mar 16, 12:11pm
Firm tofu cut into large cubes and deep fried is yummy.First tried this in Hong Kong.

ruby19, Mar 16, 6:47pm
On one of the last pages on the vegetarian recipe thread I posted a recipe for vegetarian pad thai, which uses tofu, and is really good. Definately marinate the tofu.

free-h-oldies, Mar 25, 2:47am
Can you post the recipe for the Pad Thai, also where in the supermarket would I look for tofu, I have had chicken pad thai and love it and would like to have a go

elliehen, Mar 25, 2:52am
ruby19 wrote:

Made this last night really good. Probably not authentic, but was a hit with hubby who didn`t mind the Tofu, the kids would have preferred chicken in its place. I thought it was so good might have it again tonight.

Vegetarian Pad thai
8oz rice noodles
2 eggs *
1 small red onion finely chopped
2 cups bean sprouts ( I didn`t add these as I forgot them in my shopping, but did add 1/2 a very finely sliced red pepper)
2 spring onions finely sliced
1/3 cup fresh corinader
1/4 cup crushed peanuts
250g firm tofu.

Pad Thai Sauce
3/4 Tbsp tamarind paste & 1/4 cup hot water
( i had a jar of tamarind concentrate so probably used about 3-4 tbsp of this)
3.5 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 - 2 tsp chilli sauce (to your taste)
3 tbsp brown sugar.
1 finely chopped garlic clove
1 tsp finely chopped ginger

OTHER
3-4 tbsp oil for stir frying
2-3 tbsp stock
lime wedges for serving.

Cook the noodles, add noodles to a bowl and pour over boiling water and soak for a bout 6 min , drain & rinse in cold water.

Dissolve tamarind paste in hot water, then add all the ingredients for the pad thai sauce.

cube the tofu and add to a bowl and pour over pad thai sauce and marinade for about 30 min.
gently beat eggs to combine ,and make into 2 omelets, when cool roll up and slice thinly.

Remove the tofu with slotted spoon and stir fry until lightly browned. Remove from the pan, and add a little more oil and saute the onion garlic ( and pepper if using) add the sauce to the frying pan with the tofu and add the noodles, mix well to coat the noodles with the sauce* if too dry add the stock. Add the bean sprouts, and half the chopped egg. gently heat through.

Divide into serving dishes, and top with spring onions, coriander and peanuts.
You can apparently use soft tofu in place of the eggs.

free-h-oldies, Mar 27, 7:09am
Thanks everyone Pad Thai on the menu tomorrow night

moparpete, Aug 21, 3:30am
any good tasty recipes out there. I tried making a chinese sweet and sour version in a sauce but it didn't taste good. How do you cook them and what kind do you choose.Would really like to try my hands on them.

ferita, Aug 21, 3:39am
You really need to marinate and fry tofu if you are you to eat it straight.

You can mash it and add dishes like quiches.

Mash it and mix with some cold cooked brown rice grated carrot, eggs, some grated cheese and grated onion. Form into patties and cover in bread crumbs and fry.

ferita, Aug 21, 6:07am
yes for sure. There are tofu 'cheese cake" recipes and it can be used to make tofu custard. http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/tofu_custard