2 batches of muffins

Page 2 / 2
dorothy_vdh, Aug 8, 8:41pm
ORANGE DATE MUFFINS
1 orange unpeeled but seeds removed 1/2c dates, 1/4c butter(original recipe says 1/2c butter)1 egg
process together until fine ground .
Add to 1/2 orange juice, 1 1/2 c flour, 1/3 c flour(original recipe 3/4 c sugar)1tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt 1tsp ginger powder mixture will be lumpy.
spoon into greased muffin tray makes 12

preheat oven to 200 c
bake 15-20 mins

unknowndisorder, Aug 8, 9:02pm
Dorothy, in the orange date muffins you've got 1-1/2C flour then 1/3C flour (with a note about the sugar) - so the 1/3C is actually sugar? Bit of cinnamon and mixed spice and I'll give them a go this afternoon.
My husband doesn't like muffins (and it's a waste baking cakes for him early in the week), so I'm going to try to convert him to muffins (I think I ate pretty much the last batch I made, as they weren't as good as the previous lot which he scoffed). Painful male :) (he likes my biscuits, but I don't really like making them hehehe)

Thank you for posting :)

dorothy_vdh, Aug 8, 9:41pm
oops yes its sugar, sorry didn't proof read before posting

juliewn, Aug 9, 3:52am
Thanks for sharing your recipes Dorothy :-)

Bran muffins are my favourite - will make them soon. . thanks. .

calista, Aug 9, 6:55am
Bran muffins are my favourite too and were the first muffins I ever made (recipe on the Vi-Bran packet). My brother called them 'ragamuffins' because they weren't smooth on top like queencakes - so that became the family name for them.

indy95, Aug 9, 7:22am
Thank you for posting the recipes, dorothy, and please continue to post in here whenever you want to do so. You are entitled to do whatever works for you, as we all are, and it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.

uli, Aug 9, 7:34am
Why would anyone shoot you down for posting muffin recipes in a muffin thread LOL.

Those who want to make and eat muffins will - and those who do not like muffins won't.

The only question I had was how muffins can be healthier than cake if both use the same ingredients - which you have answered in that they have no sugar icing etc. etc.

I don't think that this is criticizing, but simply asking a question.

elliehen, Aug 9, 7:41am
Thanks from me too - any variation on a bran muffin looks good to me. Dorothy, there are MANY people out there who will appreciate your posting and your recipes.

Take no notice of the few with shrivelled hearts and withering replies!

hestia, Aug 10, 3:36am
With muffins you can make many more variations. It is the addition of ingredients such as bran, fruit, and nuts which increases the nutritional value of the baked product.

uli, Aug 10, 3:58am
Ah hestia - how I love the english language ...

" ... . It is the addition of ingredients such as bran, fruit, and nuts which increases the nutritional value of the baked product... . "

While I reckon that any carbs do not increase the "nutritional value" at all (and bran adds lots of anti-nutrients - phytates etc) - most people reckon that dried fruits are actually "healthy"... but there you go.

I can't really say anything about other peoples diets.

You eat it - you live with the consequences ... once you get sick of the consequences and the suffering gets too much you either go on medication to brighten your mood - or you change your eating and lifestyle ...

Pretty simple - but very controversial on these happy recipe boards. LOL :)

hestia, Aug 10, 4:45am
The bran muffin recipe, with 1 1/2 cups of wheat bran makes 12 muffins. Which means that each muffin contains on eighth of a cup of wheat bran. Assuming that you eat only one muffin per day, so the question is: to what extent would that one eighth of a cup of wheat bran (and its associated "anti-nutrients") have a detrimental effect on one's nutritional status?

elliehen, Aug 10, 7:13am
blokes32, while sultanas (grapes) are high in fructose/fruit sugar, you'll usually only find three or four in a muffin, so unless you're tempted to eat them by the handful, you'll be OK.

tich50, Aug 10, 8:08am
imadeabatchofbranmuffinslastweekandforgottoaddtheegg, madeanotherbatchwiththeegg, and ... ... . nodifferenceinappearance, sizeandtaste.
sowillinfuturemakeitwithouttheegg.

macandrosie, Aug 10, 9:17am
I guess when muffins began to be the rage we all made Bran Muffins! And of course bran is healthy so maybe they got labelled healthy even though we went away from "bran muffins" to more extravagent more cake like muffins. Also bran muffins tend to have less sugar in them but they do have golden syrup.

darlingmole, Aug 10, 9:26am
Really eastie - that is a fair enough question from davidt4 considering the lack of question mark etc from the oringinal poster. Having gone thru the thread nowit's point apparent. But what is it with peoples vigalante attitudes on here to think you're all here to police everyone? I know this isn't the opinions thread but surely we're allowed to ask questions on here? relevant to recipes and the questions asked on here also? ?

elliehen, Aug 10, 10:37am
darlingmole, I can't second-guess eastie, but sometimes obviously articulate and intelligent people ask questions which have a naivete about them that just doesn't ring true? ?

vintagekitty, Aug 10, 10:45am
I love the sound of the orange date ones is the ginger powder, just the normal everyday powdered ginger? . cheers

nauru, Aug 10, 11:13am
Thanks for posting your recipes, they sound great. I will certainly give them a try as I always have muffins in the freezer for unexpected visitors.
Dorothy, ignore the previous remarks, and do keep posting your recipes.

dorothy_vdh, Aug 10, 8:10pm
yes just ordinary everyday ginger powder

hestia, Aug 11, 5:32am
No answer to my question yet.

Wheat bran is a good source of fibre and some vitamins and minerals, so it does have nutritional value. Yes, it does contain phytates which are capable of removing some of the minerals from the diet. However, its effect is quantitative - it is when an excessive amount is ingested that the "anti-nutrient" effect becomes a problem. So in this case the dietary mantra of "everything in moderation" rings true - have your bran muffin, but not too much.

As for the suggestion that dried fruits are not healthy, they too contain fibre, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Thus they do have nutritional value. Yes, they may contain sugar, so they should be taken in moderation as well.

uli, Aug 11, 6:11am
Hestia - you do know the difference between fibre and water soluble fibre ? ? ? The latter is the only one that people with IBS shoiuld be using - and that is not bran ...

suzanna, Jan 26, 9:41pm
Thanks so much for posting the orange and date muffin recipe. Made it for a 'high tea' yesterday but I did have to modify as I forgot the sugar! I made mini muffins as I think that the 'normal' ones and the texas ones are gross. To compensate for lack of sugar I made a sugar syrup of orange juice and sugar and as the muffins came out of the oven I carefully skewered the centre of each one and poured a little syrup in. Absolutely delicious and will probably adopt this method of finishing. I also added finely chopped crystalized ginger. Thanks again and keep posting.