2 batches of muffins

Page 1 / 2
dorothy_vdh, Aug 5, 10:22pm
just made a batch of sultana apricot bran muffins, and have orange and date muffins cooking now.
We have visitors tomorrow so thought muffins would be a healthier alternative to biscuits and cakes

uli, Aug 5, 10:28pm
Hmmm - in what way are muffins "healthier" than cakes and biscuits?

I thought they used the same ingredients?

fruitluva2, Aug 5, 10:32pm
Sheesh Uli never wastes time being sarky.

uli, Aug 5, 10:38pm
Well - nothing to do with any sarcasm on my side - I am always happy to learn new things and I cannot quite get the idea of muffins being healthier than cakes - when really - you use the same ingredients, just smaller cups to bake the dough in.

Fill me in fruitluva2 (by the way what happened to fruitluva1? ) and dorothy_vdh in why you would ask this question? What is the rationale behind it? Why do you think this is healthier?

dorothy_vdh, Aug 5, 10:39pm
I limit the amount of sugar and butter I use. No icing on them I adapt recipes so I'm able to eat them, as I changed my lifestyle 2 years ago have lost nearly 60 kilos.
Uli I do know what I'm doing thanks

dorothy_vdh, Aug 5, 10:41pm
and I didn't actually ask any questions. Sometimes I wish I never started posts

uli, Aug 5, 10:43pm
Sounds great dorothy_vdh - so there is a difference in the recipies by the looks.

And to lose 60kilos in 2 years deserves a gold star! Very very well done! :)

davidt4, Aug 5, 10:44pm
I don't quite understand the purpose of your post. What kind of replies were you hoping for?

fruitluva2, Aug 5, 10:46pm
Hehehe she luvs patronising ppl who don't live as she does but loses the plot in the process Dorothy.
Aren't you a veggie or fruit luva2 ugli? you should try them, may save your life.

dorothy_vdh, Aug 5, 10:56pm
there wasn't really any purpose for starting the post, sorry I won't do it again.

But I would like to add that most days I have one of my muffins for lunch if I was having a slice of cake everyday I don't think that would have helped with my weight loss.
so there is one reason why I think my muffins are healthier than cakes and biscuits.

books4nz, Aug 6, 3:22am
Hi Dorothy - ignore the posts above, which are included in many threads of many types and are, frankly, a little boring! - and post any time you'd like to.

Good for you for making your muffins to enjoy - and congratulations on your fabulous success :-)

Would you like to post your recipes please - they sound delicious - thanks - and enjoy sharing your muffins with your visitor's.

leon20, Aug 6, 4:57am
May I have the orange and date muffin recipe please Dorothy?
Enjoy your visitors tommorrow - Vanessa

donald6, Aug 6, 5:54am
Could I have it too please. I am diabetic so also have to adapt recipes & mainly bake muffins. They sound nice. Good on you for your success as well. Thankyou for posting.

hestia, Aug 6, 6:07am
So true - that is exactly what I do.

We enjoy our muffins, and some people just can't stand that.

eastie3, Aug 6, 6:35am
Here we go again, I thought you left the MB in a few months ago, vowing not to come back ?

karenbnz, Aug 6, 10:06am
Hey Dorothy congrats on weight loss well done... recipe please! :)

karenbnz, Aug 6, 10:10am
never made muffins b4. just a learner here :)

korbo, Aug 6, 8:01pm
please can we have the recipe. interested in if they have bran in them. I need to have bran in my diet, and would like recipes.

dorothy_vdh, Aug 6, 8:14pm
thanks for the kind words. I vowed yesterday I wouldn't look at this thread again, but was so surprised to see it close to the top this morning.

I won't /don't have time to post the recipes today visitors arriving any minute now. I will try to post recipes either late tomorrow or Monday

raewyn64, Aug 6, 10:28pm
Dorothy I know that feeling or pride and achievement when I have made several batches of biscuits or done a good size baking in one day and you just want to share that achievement on here.
I am sure your visitors will really enjoy them.

blokes32, Aug 7, 2:01am
to weight watchers & diabetics - avoid sultanas as they are extremely high in sugar

cookiebarrel, Aug 8, 11:12am
Another that would like your recipes too, when you have the time and really appreciated your reason for making the muffins instead of cakes and biscuits. Congrats on your weight loss effort.

dorothy_vdh, Aug 8, 8:21pm
I have to say I am very reluctant to post recipes for fear of being shot down and criticised, but I said I will so I'll put my big girl panys on and do it.
For me its all about moderation 1 per day will not hurt you, but I'm not going to preach I know what works for me. ok recipes to follow

dorothy_vdh, Aug 8, 8:29pm
BRAN MUFFINS
1c standard flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1/s tsp salt, 2tsp mixed spice, 1 1/2 c wheat bran, 1/4 c sugar, 1tsp baking soda, approx 1 c milk, 1 Tbs melted butter, 1Tsp melted golden syrup, 1 egg beaten, 1/2 to 1 c sultana's. I use 1/2 sultanas and 1/2 apricots. .

Preheat oven to 220 C

in a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, mixed spice, wheat bran, sugar, and fruit.

dissolve baking soda in milk, blend in melted butter, golden syrup, and egg

pour liquids quickly into dry ingreds stirring to just combined.

Spoon batter into greased muffin tray bake for 12-15 mins until golden. makes 12

dorothy_vdh, Aug 8, 8:35pm
BANANA ROLLED OATS MUFFINS
2c self raising flour, 1tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp baking soda, 1c rolled oats, 1/2 brown sugars, 2 eggs, 3/4c low fat yoghurt, 1/4c oil, 2 mashed bananas

preheat oven 200 c

Sift together flour cinnamon, and baking soda

add rolled oats, and sugar to combine

whisk together eggs, oil, yoghurt. add bananas

Pour into dry ingreds stir gently.
spoon into greased muffin tray , bake 20 mins makes 12