Steamed Puddings

Page 1 / 2
oathm8, Jul 28, 12:11am
Any nice recipies you can share?

millenium1, Jul 28, 12:14am
Yes please. Me too.

margyr, Jul 28, 12:15am
1/2 Hour Steamed Pud
1 cup milk, 1 cup fruit, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger, 2 tablespoons of butter place in a saucepan, when boiling add 1 tsp baking soda take off heat and beat with a wooden spoon, Add 1 cup of flour and 1 tsp baking powder place in greased basin and steam for 1/2 hour.

margyr, Jul 28, 12:18am
Also just on the left is a box headed Message Board, if in keyword or member you type steamed puddings, and then in the date posted box click on the arrow on the right and then on anytime, and then click search you will find heaps more.

millenium1, Jul 28, 12:18am
Thank you. That sounds alot easier than I thought it would be.

245sam, Jul 28, 12:20am
oathm8, do you have any particular flavour preference? e. g. Chocolate or Lemon or Marmalade or Raspberry or... ... ...

If you already have downloaded (or would like to download) the Trademecooks recipes there are lots of steamed pudding choices there including all the above mentioned options. You can download the Trademe recipes from:-

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/downloads.htm

You may also be interested to know that steamed puddings can, very successfully, be cooked in a crockpot/slowcooker.

Hope that helps. :-))

Edited to add that if you refer to the Trademecooks recipes for a steamed pudding recipe and wish to make a Steamed Marmalade Pudding, you will find it under the heading "Self-Saucing Puddings" - as the 'poster unknown' of that recipe I do recommend it both for ease of making and for being a yummy pudding that I have made many many times, each time very successfully. :-))

millenium1, Jul 28, 12:20am
Thanks again. Did just that, there were so many, I was overwhelmed. I think I will try your one listed above.

margyr, Jul 28, 12:28am
haha, yep there are alot and some seem complicated and others easy as, another one I like is a 3/4 hour golden syrup one, will get the edmonds book out and copy it for you;1 and 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder, 3 tsp sugar, 1 tablespoon butter milk to mix, sift flour, salt and baking powder together add sugar, rub in butter and mix to a soft dough with the milk. I do this all in the bowl I am going to cook it in, Mix and pour the following syrup over the top, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon golden syrup or honey, and 1 cup boiling water. do not cover the basin, stand this in a pot of boiling water (water to come half way up the side of basin). Put lid on and steam for 3/4 hour. I also put abit more golden syrup and water than this.

juliewn, Jul 28, 11:23am
Hi Marg. . that's a family favourite here. . moreish and delicious :-)

margyr, Jul 28, 6:19pm
hi juliewn, if you like the goldensyrup pudding google golden syrup dumplings and make them, 15 mins from start to finish and has replaced the pudding in this house.

tessie34, Jul 29, 3:34am
Margyr ... . Cant getG/S dumpling recipe can you oblige? Many thanks. Tess.

pickles7, Jul 29, 4:01am
Pudding... ... Choc... less sugar.
Self saucing, Choc pudding
in a basin put 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp cream of tartar, 2 Tblsp cocoa, 1/2 cup sultanas... . mix with 1/2 cup of milk, to make a stiff dough. Note No sugar. Pour over, 1 cup of boiling water 2 tsp golden syrup, 1/2 cup of sugar, 50 grams of butter. Steam 30 minutes. serve with custard, a dollop of cream or ice cream. enjoy

darlingmole, Jul 29, 6:50am
Here's one I found in a magazine - dead easy and really nice.

*Golden Syrup & Ginger Steamed PUdding*
125 softened butter
1 C sugar
1 t vanilla essence
2 eggs
1 C flour
2 t baking powder
1 t ground ginger
2 Tbspn milk
1/4 C golden syrup

Method ...
Lightly grease a 1 litre pudding basin or pyrex/ceramic dish. Set basin on trivet or upturned saucer ina large saucepan that has a tightfilling lid. FIll saucepan with water halfway up the sides of the powl. Remove bowl and put water on to heat.
Next beat butter, sugar until pale and creamy. Add vanilla and beat in eggs one at a time.
Fold in sifted flour and ground ginger, alternately with milk.
Then in the pudding basin pour in the golden syrup and lastely spoon the batter on top.
Cover basin with lid and place pudding gently in to steadily simmering water. Cook for 1 to 1 & 1/2 hours or until pudding is puffed and spongy.
Remove from pan and stand 5-10 mins before turning pudding on to a platter

Serves 6

margyr, Jul 29, 6:59am
Golden Syrup Dumplings
Dumplings for dessert? Yes when they are cooked in golden syrup.

Dumplings

1 cup self-raising flour
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon milk
Syrup

1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Golden syrup or honey
1 tablespoon butter
METHOD

Sift flour into a bowl. and rub in the butter until it is like breadcrumbs. Beat the egg and milk together, and carefully mix with the flour to make a soft dough. Do not over-mix as this will make the dumplings tough.

Place the water, sugar, butter and golden syrup into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.

Drop in teaspoonfuls of the dough, cover with a lid and simmer over a moderate heat for about 12 minutes or so until cooked. Remove from the heat and serve with warm runny custard or ice-cream.

Serves 4 - 6 people

margyr, Jul 29, 7:00am
And i have doubled the quantity for the dumplings and they syrup, even make more syrup when I only make the normal dumplings, lovely and sooooooooo easy to make.

kabbo, Jul 29, 8:21am
i might try those dumplings margy... . . i actually did make them a couple of weeks ago from another recipe someone gave me, but they were like big bullets - yuck. so what did i do wrong. this recipe said cook for 20 mins without lifting the lid (which i did - coz i wanted to see) but i think i cooked them even longer than that. obviously i cooked the living daylights out of them.

margyr, Jul 29, 8:29am
i use a knife to mix the ingredients and do it quickly like making scones, then just drop them into the boiling liquid off a teaspoon, have also very quickly using floured hands made nice balls, and no dont lift the lid for 12 mins. I dont use butter either just margarine which is sort of spread through the mix with the knife. Makes lovely light dumplings, and they reheat fine in the microwave for breakfast if any left;)

janny3, Jul 2, 2:24pm
Found a nice steamed pud recipe (on facebook) which cooks for 1.5 hours.Lovely but I'm looking for a quicker fruit steamed pudding recipe if any of you have your favourites to share please.

I'm almost willing to commit sacrilege & make it in the microwave if need be.

mkbooks, Jul 3, 7:42am
My mother used to put chopped apple into golden syrup dumplings-yum

oathm8, Jul 28, 12:11am
Any nice recipies you can share!

millenium1, Jul 28, 12:14am
Yes please. Me too.

margyr, Jul 28, 12:15am
1/2 Hour Steamed Pud
1 cup milk, 1 cup fruit, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground ginger, 2 tablespoons of butter place in a saucepan, when boiling add 1 tsp baking soda take off heat and beat with a wooden spoon, Add 1 cup of flour and 1 tsp baking powder place in greased basin and steam for 1/2 hour.

margyr, Jul 28, 12:18am
Also just on the left is a box headed Message Board, if in keyword or member you type steamed puddings, and then in the date posted box click on the arrow on the right and then on anytime, and then click search you will find heaps more.

millenium1, Jul 28, 12:18am
Thank you. That sounds alot easier than I thought it would be.

245sam, Jul 28, 12:20am
oathm8, do you have any particular flavour preference!e.g. Chocolate or Lemon or Marmalade or Raspberry or.

If you already have downloaded (or would like to download) the Trademecooks recipes there are lots of steamed pudding choices there including all the above mentioned options.You can download the Trademe recipes from:-

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/downloads.htm

You may also be interested to know that steamed puddings can, very successfully, be cooked in a crockpot/slowcooker.

Hope that helps.:-))

Edited to add that if you refer to the Trademecooks recipes for a steamed pudding recipe and wish to make a Steamed Marmalade Pudding, you will find it under the heading "Self-Saucing Puddings" - as the 'poster unknown' of that recipe I do recommend it both for ease of making and for being a yummy pudding that I have made many many times, each time very successfully.:-))