Making vinegar.

pickles7, Jul 19, 8:53am
Brown sugar vinegar
To everygallon of water put in 3 kg of good brown sugar, boil for 15 minutes, cool. Pour into a bucket and sprinkle over it when lukewarm 1 teaspoon of ordinary yeast, [1/2 a sachet of wine yeast would be ok, buy from bin inn]. let this work giving it a good stir twice a day for three days. Pour into a glass jar, put an air lock on and leave untill it stops working. Rack off, of any sediment into a wide mouthed glass jars, add some raw cider vinegar to each jar , cover with a cotton cloth and watch for a mouldy layer then a jelly like top. [ mother of vinegar]

sandhu, Jul 19, 8:58am
Hi Pickles. .
Im keen to try and make vinegar but I dont want to make alot do you have a small Recipes. .
Thanks

pickles7, Jul 19, 9:50am
have you made wine before? how about a half lot
IF YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE IT A GO, I WILL PUT UP A AUCTION FOR A VINEGAR MOTHER FOR YOU.

sandhu, Jul 19, 10:14am
Yes that would be great im keen on that I will keep a watch out on the listing you put on. .
Thanks Pickles :)

pickles7, Jul 19, 11:21pm
I'll list something tonight.

squeakygirl, Jul 20, 10:25pm
Apple cider vinegar - 1 bucket of apples, 3 cups white sugar. Chop apples (skin, cores as well ) and cover with boiled water. Cover with a cloth and strir daily for 7 days. Strain and add sugar. Leave in a cool place for approximately 2 months and when the mother - leathery skin - forms, strain and bottle. I made this and it is really nice.

pickles7, Jul 20, 11:55pm
good on you . . squeakygirl... I started making vinegar last year. I have made cider , wine , and malt vinegar now. Love making it. I have the brown sugar turning into alcohol right now, and will add raw malt vinegar. That way I will get the same flavour of the vinegar I have now. The strength should be ok as well. I have another site I use for most of my stuff now. . I hope to pick up a whole barrel of wine very soon. its been brewing to make wine, but has soured. I will convert it, wine vinegar, how exciting is that. I will ask for another barrel to use.

pickles7, Jul 21, 2:17am
I hope you didn't put your brew down yet ... . sandhu... . I had to adjust the sugar , I have added more boiled water to mine the S. G was a bit over the top . Once pasteurized, it will last forever, so its not much of a problem. .

coolkiwibird, Dec 15, 5:07am
Pickles7 if I have Apple Cider Homemade can I put that in a bowl and wait for the mother to form?Did make one bottle last year that had a hint of vinegar. lol.

bubbles2, Dec 15, 8:31am
wow what a great thread, i am definately going to make some vinegar

pickles7, Jul 19, 8:53am
Brown sugar vinegar
To everygallon of water put in 3 kg of good brown sugar, boil for 15 minutes, cool. Pour into a bucket and sprinkle over it when lukewarm 1 teaspoon of ordinary yeast, [1/2 a sachet of wine yeast would be ok, buy from bin inn]. let this work giving it a good stir twice a day for three days. Pour into a glass jar, put an air lock on and leave untill it stops working. Rack off, of any sediment into a wide mouthed glass jars, add some raw cider vinegar to each jar , cover with a cotton cloth and watch for a mouldy layer then a jelly like top. [ mother of vinegar]

sandhu, Jul 19, 8:58am
Hi Pickles.
Im keen to try and make vinegar but I dont want to make alot do you have a small Recipes.
Thanks

pickles7, Jul 19, 9:50am
have you made wine before! how about a half lot
IF YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE IT A GO, I WILL PUT UP A AUCTION FOR A VINEGAR MOTHER FOR YOU.

sandhu, Jul 19, 10:14am
Yes that would be great im keen on that I will keep a watch out on the listing you put on.
Thanks Pickles :)

pickles7, Jul 19, 11:21pm
I'll list something tonight.

squeakygirl, Jul 20, 10:25pm
Apple cider vinegar - 1 bucket of apples, 3 cups white sugar. Chop apples (skin, cores as well ) and cover with boiled water. Cover with a cloth and strir daily for 7 days. Strain and add sugar. Leave in a cool place for approximately 2 months and when the mother - leathery skin - forms, strain and bottle. I made this and it is really nice.

pickles7, Jul 20, 11:55pm
good on you .squeakygirl.I started making vinegar last year. I have made cider , wine , and malt vinegar now. Love making it. I have the brown sugar turning into alcohol right now, and will add raw malt vinegar. That way I will get the same flavour of the vinegar I have now. The strength should be ok as well. I have another site I use for most of my stuff now. I hope to pick up a whole barrel of wine very soon. its been brewing to make wine, but has soured. I will convert it, wine vinegar, how exciting is that. I will ask for another barrel to use.

pickles7, Jul 21, 2:17am
I hope you didn't put your brew down yet .sandhu.I had to adjust the sugar , I have added more boiled water to mine the S.G was a bit over the top . Once pasteurized, it will last forever, so its not much of a problem.

coolkiwibird, Dec 15, 5:07am
Pickles7 if I have Apple Cider Homemade can I put that in a bowl and wait for the mother to form!Did make one bottle last year that had a hint of vinegar. lol.

bev00, Dec 15, 11:45am
recycling for the pickle season

pickles7, Dec 20, 7:31am
Found this looking for something else.
The brown sugar vinegar did not develope that well. I added peach wine to the brew in the end.
http://www.cider.org.uk/part6.htm
I don't do vinegar in here any more, I have two lots brewing right now.
Draft vinegar is near $2.80 A litre, I would not make the amount of sauce I make, at that price. It costs me 50 cents a litre to make malt vinegar