Zarbo Cookbook

ellie04, Jul 14, 10:27pm
Hi there

Does anyone have the Zarbo cookbook? I was after the ginger crunch recipe. Many thanks if you can help me.

elliehen, Jul 15, 12:25am
Is the Zarbo Ginger Crunch recipe a special one? I have an old 1976 Edmonds cookbook with a reliable version, if you'd like it.

ellie04, Jul 15, 12:26am
Hi elliehen - yes it is a special one - it has pistacchios in it and other decadent ingredients! It is something that you would make for a special occasion. Thanks for your help.

malcovy, Jul 15, 12:43am
Pistachio and Ginger Slice
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ground ginger
300 grams butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
Icing:
125 grams butter
200 grams golden syrup
3 tsp ground ginger
1 cup mixed peel
3 cups icing sugar
Garnish:
100 grams toasted pistachio nuts, roughly chopped

Toast the slivered almonds and chopped hazelnuts in the oven at 180C for approx 10 mins. Make sure they don't burn.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and ginger.
In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar. Mix in the sifted dry ingredients and then the cooled almonds and hazelnuts. Press into a greased and lined 30 x 20 cm slice tin. Bake at 180C for 15 mins until cooked through.
For the icing melt the butter and golden syrup over a saucepan of simmering water, and then stir in the ginger, peel and icing sugar and mix until smooth. While the base is still hot, spread the topping over evenly and scatter with the pistachio nuts. Cut when cold.

ellie04, Jul 15, 4:46am
malcovy - you're a treasure! Thank you so, so, so, so much! I've been out this afternoon and just got in the door. What a delight to see someone who has the book very kindly type it out - thank you.

susan_cook, Feb 15, 7:30pm
x1
This slice is the best ever and well worth making, it is amazing