How many kilos of mince for 22 people for Spag Bol

Page 1 / 2
caterpillar2003, Feb 17, 10:16am
Hi all ... . just trying to work out for a camp of 17 teenagers and 6 adults how much mince to send for the camp to feed them Spaghetti Bolognaise? Cheers

bellus_sybarite, Feb 17, 10:28am
I reckon, Maybe 200 grams of mince per-person. Doesn't 17+6 = 23 ?

lilyfield, Feb 17, 10:29am
4 kilos- see they are teenagers

angie461, Feb 17, 5:27pm
I think 3 kilos wouild be plenty, I would add plenty of tins of tomatoes,

accroul, Feb 17, 6:34pm
x1
I'd go with 4 as well - I like mine meaty!

dorothy_vdh, Feb 17, 6:34pm
x1
bulk it up with vegies, eg tinned tomatoes, grated carrot courgettes, I think about 200 grams of mince per person should be fine. Have lots of noodles and garlic bread

darlingmole, Feb 17, 6:39pm
I heard it's 100g per person ... so depends on your preference of more tomato saucey or more meaty but think dorothy has the right idea by adding extra grated veges to bulk it up, also adding red lentils bulks it up and keeps it cost effective

510, Feb 17, 6:56pm
x1
Not sure if this is any help. I have just looked up an old CWI cookbook, they don't have a quanity for mince per head for spag bol. For a mince curry recipe for 25 they are only using 1. 5 kgs as they are using lots of other things to bulk it up. Hence for there suggestions of catering for a buffet meal for 50 people they suggest 3kgs curry mince.

crails, Feb 17, 9:03pm
I would get 6kg of mince, and still grate a few large carrots in it. Your feeding campers that have been doing lots of physical work all day, and will no doubt have a full on day the follwing. Feed them that bit extra at dinner, they aren't at home they can't go and raid the fridge later because they're still hungry.

theanimal1, Feb 18, 3:48am
ex caterer here i used 3-5kilos mince for spag bol for 25-30 people hope this helps.

angel404, Feb 18, 4:16am
i would use at least 5kg mince. 500gm only JUST feeds my husband and I.

doug57, Feb 18, 5:02am
I'd use 5kg too. I regularly use a kg of mince for 5 of us here. . and teenagers will eat LOTS. Better to fill them up with protein than to have them scratching around for empty carbs later when the munchies hit them! Any leftovers can be frozen anyway!

darlingmole, Feb 18, 5:44am
ahhh ~! that would explain your many recipes for all and sundry on here eh? Good one. So we know that your recipes will be tried-n-true theanimal. Can't imagine catering as a business because I hate cooking for my mere 8 at home *sighs deeply*

theanimal1, Feb 18, 5:58am
i love cooking, so catering was a good thing lol
i changed to caregiving for a break, now im a mummy xxx

uli, Feb 18, 6:01am
How are you doing caterpillar2003 ?
I personally would cut down on the spaghetti and use more beef and vege's LOL :)

uli, Feb 18, 6:02am
Hope not one or them here:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/obesity-in-
ancient-egypt/

duckmoon, Feb 18, 6:52am
I have a recipe book which is catering for 50 adults.
First question: how much do you teenagers eat? ? ? Some of the growing boys will eat 2xadult portion; some of the "dieting girls" will eat like sparrows.

Anyway:
7. 5kg mince is recommended for 50 adults.
So about 50% of that... Or 60% if you have ""growing lads".

duckmoon, Feb 18, 6:56am
I am not sure that all of Animal's recipes are "tried and true" by Animal. I know that I have posted a recipe called "Rachel's Punch" on the TMMB, which Animalrepeats when a Punch recipe is requested. It is my "tried and true" recipe, received from my friend Rachel (hence the name). Animal even uses the personal statements which I included with the recipe about the brands of juice I use.

duckmoon, Feb 18, 6:58am
Other question to ask is "what else is going to be served at the meal"...
If it is only pasta and bolognaise, then I would fill it with grated carrot and corregettes and some lentils.

If they are also going to have lettuce, tomatoes and carrot sticks; and possibily a dessert afterwards, then less "padding" with hiden ingredients.

davidt4, Feb 18, 7:01am
Me too - I keep seeing my spinach pikelet recipe being suggested by that poster, often quite inappropriately.

duckmoon, Feb 18, 7:07am
Phew, it's not just me.

theanimal1, Feb 18, 7:36am
what the? ? ? ? ? lol
Ah no not that kind of mummy lmao ;p

theanimal1, Feb 18, 7:41am
Yes its true, i do post other peoples recipes, as well as my own, some of the message boarders recipes sound too dang delish to go un tasted by others, i have not stated ALL are mine, in other threads, i have been asked where i get my recipes my answer was, My nana, mother, aunt, and off here as well, plus what my fiance down loaded for me.

elliehen, Feb 18, 9:01am
And thank you very much, theanimal1, for your generosity in taking the time to post in answer to many requests. I have taken note of many of the recipes you post and now that I see you've been a caterer, I can guess you probably know more than many what is likely to work. By leaving in all the original wording, you are certainly not trying to claim a recipe as your own.

If anyone has a 'secret' recipe, maybe it could be put it in a bank vault? ? If you decide to post here, you're willing to share ;)

duckmoon, Feb 18, 9:20pm
Animal, could you please removed the "I" statements from the recipes which started with me (that is Rachel's punch). Either delete the sentences completely, or say "duckmoon" or the "the original poster".

:-), thank you muchly.