Old fashion steam pudding steamed in a cloth

rae.les, Jun 28, 2:32am
does anyone have the recipe for the steamed pudding nan used to make with the pudding cloth and it had burnt sugar in the recipe? please i would gratefully appreciate any help thanks!

rarogal, Jun 28, 2:47am
INGREDIENTS:
Sugar - 1/2 Cup of Burnt Sugar
Water - 1/2 Cup
Flour - 2 Cups
Sugar - 1 Cup
Bicarbonate of Soda - 1 tsp
Butter - 200 grams melted
Eggs - 2

METHOD:
Burn Sugar Mixture - Place 1/2 cup of sugar in a pot and bring to the boil on a hot element. For best results take off element when it begins to brown, rather than letting it go black. This makes a sweeter, lighter coloured Pudding. However if you prefer a darker pudding, then allow it to heat to a darker colour then remove from stove.
Slowly add 1/2 cup of water while stirring continuously and allow to cool for approximately 10mins.
In a bowl add flour, sugar, soda, melted butter, eggs and burnt sugar mix. Blend together.
Pour mixture into a greased 2-litre microwave proof bowl and cover with plastic wrap, poke a few holes in the top.
Place a dinner plate upside down on top of the bowl and place into the center of microwave.
Cook on high for 8 minutes (test this as your microwave power may call for less time).
When cooked remove from microwave and allow to sit for another 5mins.
Remove plastic wrap carefully (watch out for the steam! )
Use a knife to run around the edge of pudding to free from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto plate.
Serve with fresh cream, or custard.
My mother used to make this recipe in the floured cloth, but modern methods have been added to it.

platinumplus, Jun 29, 7:54pm
x4
thank you rarogal really appreciate that i will give it a go sounds great

oulaya, Jul 2, 8:06am
Thank you rarogal, tried this recipe this evening and it is a real winner. My family loved it! !

sinet, Sep 11, 9:06am
I would like to cook this in the traditional way by cooking it in a pot of water, how long do i need to let this cook. thanks all for your input on this.

juliewn, Sep 11, 9:24am
Hi Sinet..

A recipe I have that has 1 cup of flour is steamed for 1 & 1/2 hours.. with this having 2 cups flour, I'd steam it for 3 hours.. keep the boiling water so it's at least half way up the side of the bowl.

You can also steam a pudding using a crockpot - same as cooking on a stove - and time it from when it comes back to boil and keep the lid on without taking it off - it won't need topping up with boiling water as the condensation ensures it keeps enough liquid..

I'd say it will taste very good.. enjoy..

Hope this helps.. :-)

sinet, Sep 11, 8:27pm
Thank you Julie this is awesome. I know i will enjoy it as much as i will making it. Have a nice day cheers.

juliewn, Sep 12, 2:16am
You're most welcome.. :-) enjoy..

croc1, Oct 2, 4:41am
x1
Does anyone here have the old bags that our nans used to cook the steam pudding in? I believe with the recipe above, the mixture is put in the flour bag however you have to put the flour bag in the boiling hot water, pull it out and shake flour on the inside so that it was lined with flour. The mixture was put in to the bag and tied at the ends. You then tie it at the top with string, remember to measure where your string is to be tied so that it allows expansion for your pudding. You don't want to tie your string too close to the bottom as this will not allow expansion and your pudding will not be as fluffy as you want it. The water must stay between med simmer to boiling for the next 2 -3 hours max. Check your pudding after 2 hours. Ifmore water is required, use boiling water only. Pending on the heat of your water, your pudding may only take 3 hours. It's been a while since I cooked this way, my mum taught me this way, was our family tradition every christmas when my children were young. They now have children!

croc1, Oct 2, 4:46am
Oops sorry, your pudding should be checked after two hours. Pending heat and consistency of the boiling of the water it may take only 2 hours to cook.

helen35, Oct 2, 8:35pm
x1
I have been using calico for the puddings for the past few years. I sometimes give them away as a gift soI overlocked the edges, but not necessary if its for you. I throw the new calico into the machine with the tea towellsfor the first wash. Then when ready to use, I boil it in a pot and flour it...Need to wear rubber gloves as its HOT!
I also put a saucer in the bottom of the pot, even tho the pudding floats, it stops it from settling/ burningon the bottom. REMEMBER: PLUNGE THE PUDDING INTO RAPIDLY BOILING WATER>
Cheers!and good luck. Im salivating over the thought of that lovely pudding *SKIN* asI type.

donnabeth, Oct 2, 8:43pm
I have a question about the burnt sugar as I've never heard of it before.

Is it really burnt? Does it go bitter? How dark is dark before it ruins the pudding? Black?

My husband loves steamed pudding, but the only one I've ever successfully made is a microwave one. I found some calico that goes back to my kids' primary school craft days, and wondered about wrapping puddings in it. Maybe I'll surprise him.

guest, Dec 14, 12:44am
Hello im just wondering as i noticed it only says flour, does this mean plain or self rising