What can I use instead of cream in scalloped potat

aw217, Jun 27, 4:36am
potatoes? I have some cream but need more. I have used milk in the past but it separates and does not thicken!

juliewn, Jun 27, 4:38am
Some coconut cream would work and make a nice change. .

aw217, Jun 27, 4:40am
have you tried that? is it nice? I do have some coconut milk, Thanks.

indy95, Jun 27, 4:53am
Aw217, you could use the cream/milk mixture if you add some cornflour mixed to a paste with a little of the milk. This will stabilise the liquid and should prevent it from splitting.

monkey_room, Jun 27, 4:59am
Carnation Evaporated Milk in the can (I use the light one so I can enjoy guilt free)

akd100, Jun 27, 9:07am
I always use milk, not cream. Do you mean it doesn't work if you use cream and milk together? ?

bedge1, Jun 27, 9:43am
odd. I always use milk & its fine.

dbab, Jun 27, 9:10pm
I have mixed a packet of onion soup and some grated cheese with the milk for a change too. Layer the sliced potatoes with dry soup and cheese mix, finishing with the soup/cheese. Pour over 1 1/2 cups milk and put in oven till cooked through.

gilligee, Jun 27, 10:06pm
Milk.

akd100, Jun 28, 12:48am
Thats the way I do mine too.

cookessentials, Jun 28, 12:57am
You can use ordinary milk ( just not the green top)

cottagerose, Jun 28, 8:11am
You can also use leek and potato maggi soup which is nice too

akd100, Jun 28, 8:24am
I always use green, its absolutely fine.

akd100, Jun 28, 8:25am
Oh yum! That does sound good. Will try that next time.

malcovy, Jun 28, 8:29pm
Using cream as the liquid makes the most delicious creamy potato bake ever. I don't bother with milk. You do need to add little more salt than normal.
Using cream you do not need cornflour.

crier, Jun 29, 2:58am
Hi there- I have not tried this as yet but I am going to give it a go in a pasta - there is a new product out called phillidelpia cream and it has 60% fat than other creams - I am guessing you are looking for something like that so you are not eating a lot of fat. Hope it works for you.

cookessentials, Jun 29, 3:36am
do you find the dish creamy enough?

cookessentials, Jun 29, 3:38am
I am pretty much the same malcovy - we do not have them very often, but when i do make them i do them with cream AND milk see below.
This is my "Creamy Potatoes" recipe which is very delicious and quite rich, but well worth making.

25g butter, melted;1 clove garlic, crushed;1/4 tsp nutmeg;2 cups grated tasty cheese; 1 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly;2 eggs, lightly beaten;1x 300ml carton cream;1 cup milk;1/2 cup stale breadcrumbs;fresh herbs to garnish.
combine melted butter, garlic and nutmeg in a bowl. Brush a shallow oven proof dish with half the butter mixture. Sprinkle half the cheese over the base and layer the potato slices. Combine remaining butter mix, eggs, cream and milk in a jug and pour gently over potato slices. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs ( I dont usually bother with the breadcrumbs) Bake in hot oven - 200C for about 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. (Cover with foil if top becomes too brown

martine5, Jun 29, 5:50am
That is exactly what my partner does and its really yummy

akd100, Jun 29, 6:39am
Yeah I do. I use onion soup mix and cheese layered though. I find it creamy enough.

tinkagirl, Jun 30, 1:41am
I always use milk with chicken stock and it comes out lovely and thick. .