Whats your favourite thing to cook in a crockpot??

Page 7 / 8
pickles7, Aug 21, 3:52am
Slow cooker,
Beef Pot Roast , rolled , boneless cuts.

Turn the slow cooker on high, add 2 Tbsp oil.
Heat a fry pan with a little oil
Fry
1 cut up onion
1 chopped carrot,
any other little bits and bobs you have,
stalks of broccoli, cauli, celery etc. maybe 1 cup all up
Put that into the bottom of the slow cooker
Sear the meat all over
Put the meat on top of the veg's
Add 1 cup of water to the frying pan to clean off all the drippings, add to the slow cooker
Sprinkle over
1 packet of soup mix, I use any that need to be used up.
[ a soup mix, this helps with making the gravy ]
Add salt and pepper, remember it is easier to add more, than to take salt out of a dish.
Turn the cooker onto Auto, close the lid and don't open it again until you can smell a delicious smell. lol.
I cannot tell you how long, to cook it, It would depend on the size of the meat, the cut of your meat, your slow cooker, so many variables.
Write down your times etc for future reference.
Cook from 4 to 6 hours. Even more if required
I remove mine when the internal temp is 160deg F, 71deg C.
It will be medium, juicy, tender.

snookum0_0, Aug 22, 3:40am
Hi there, I've bought Simon and Allison Holst's new Slow Cooker receipe book,All the receipes are fantastic and super tasty and easy.However I do like cooking Corned Beef in my slow cooker, its so tasty and tender.I cook it inBundaberg Ginger Beer 750ml and up to 2Litres of water, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 3 teaspoons of crushed garlic.On Low for about 8 hours.Yummy!Sauce is 3 tablespoons of flour, 3 tablespoons of butter and 1 cup of liquid from meat.

pickles7, Aug 22, 3:52am
Slow cooker,
Beef Pot Roast , rolled , boneless cuts.

Turn the slow cooker on high, add 2 Tbsp oil.
Heat a fry pan with a little oil
Fry
1 cut up onion
1 chopped carrot,
any other little bits and bobs you have,
stalks of broccoli, cauli, celery etc. maybe 1 cup all up
Put that into the bottom of the slow cooker
Sear the meat all over
Put the meat on top of the veg's
Add 1 cup of water to the frying pan to clean off all the drippings, add to the slow cooker
Sprinkle over
1 packet of soup mix, I use any that need to be used up.
[ a soup mix, this helps with making the gravy ]
Add salt and pepper, remember it is easier to add more, than to take salt out of a dish.
Turn the cooker onto Auto, close the lid and don't open it again until you can smell a delicious smell. lol.
I cannot tell you how long, to cook it, It would depend on the size of the meat, the cut of your meat, your slow cooker, so many variables.
Write down your times etc for future reference.
Cook from 4 to 6 hours. Even more if required
I remove mine when the internal temp is 160deg F, 71deg C.
It will be medium, juicy, tender.

lindylambchops1, May 7, 7:10am
One of my fav things to do in the crock pot is.dried fruit.Especially nice for breakfast or as a dessert.I use dried apricots, prunes, sultanas, sliced cored & un-peeled fresh apple, dates then cover with water & crock pot away!You can add whatever dried fruits you like.Also mixed spices may be added or spices of your choice.Enjoy!Serve with custard or ice cream for dessert.Have for breakfast on it's own or with porridge.

nojack, May 7, 10:05am
Whats your favourite thing to cook in a crockpot!
It had better be the Pea and Ham Soup fromAllyson Grofton's book, Slow. I got a 5l crockpot and Allyson's book in a good deal (I think) at Noel Leemings a week or so ago. Got it simmering away overnight, so can cool and freeze some in the morning. I'll let you know!

tich50, May 7, 10:25am
Imakemypea/barley/red lentil/vegiesoupwithshininmycrock poteveryalternateSaturday.Willtry#65recipe.lovedriedfruit.

clgodkin, May 7, 1:36pm
Definitely corned beef.melt in your mouth.

jase320, May 8, 4:48am
bread in the crockpot! do you just make the normal recipe//

kinna54, May 9, 8:08am
Lamb shanks. and my slow cooker smell doesn't worry me. I turn on the extractor fan, which goes out onto the driveway side of the house. Neighbour often says. wow what are you having for dinner tho.

tullyann, May 9, 8:42am
Give away the Slow cooker the Lastest Rageis the New Pressure cooker ,
Instead of 5hrs it takes40 min ,,and corned beefso yummmmy !

raewyn64, May 10, 6:50am
I use whatever cheap beef stewing meat, cube it up, into crockpot with chopped onion, leeks, carrots, potatoes (I don't even peel the potatoes just quarter them) a tinof tomatoes and a packet of Maggi Cook in the Pot - any of the beef ones and then let it cook. If I liked them I would have added mushrooms as well but I don't lol
Then it cooks up and everything is in the dish so I can just serve it as it is without having to cook anything else.

djpablonz, May 10, 7:59pm
Does anyone have a recipe for slow cooked mutton roast!

kabre, May 11, 6:33am
I have a silverside to cook in cp how much water do I need to add, I havent got gingerale so can I use powder ginger and how much and is there anything else I should add like vinegar or brown sugar! Help want to cook tomorrow while at work. TIA

nzl99, May 11, 6:47am
Just made these Savoury Chops for the first time in the slow cooker. usually do them in the oven. and they were perfect.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php!pid=32562845&l=1920af90b2&id=1225939081

Ingreds and method under each photo when you click on it.

wron, May 11, 10:05am
Why are some of the postings here deleted by a moderator! Curious!

wron, May 11, 10:07am
NZL99 Photo looked yummy but I clicked here, there and everywhere but no recipe! Could you cut and paste on here please!

purplegoanna, May 11, 9:34pm
ours is bacon hock and vege soup.

nunesy, May 14, 2:09am
Can you cook chicken drumsticks in a crockpot!If so, any recipes gratefully accepted. (except not sweet n sour please!) Thanks.

cap, Jun 25, 1:39am
I usually try and pick some up when I can get a good piece for no more than $12 but haven't seen it that price this winter.They had lamb leg roasts on special this week - over $30 for a not very large leg!Meat just seems so expensive these days.You can usually get corned beef at a good price but it's not something I really like although the rest of the family does.

zappi, Jun 25, 2:31am
Alison's Lazy Lasagne

This is a variant of one of Alison's most popular recipes. It's almost too good to be true - a lasagne with no precooking, just a little assembly!

Turn the slow cooker on to HIGH to preheat and coat the bowl with non-stick spray.

Put the garlic and tomatoes (with any juice) into a food processor or large bowl and process or mash with a fork to break up the tomatoes. Add the soup mix, minced beef, tomato paste, herbs, stock and water, then process or mix until well combined.

Spread one third of the meat mixture evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker bowl. Place half the lasagne noodles over the meat. Repeat the layering with another 1/3 of the meat mixture, the remaining pasta then cover with the remaining meat mixture. (You may like to keep a bit more than a third of the meat mixture for the top layer.)

To make the topping, mix together the cornflour, egg, milk (and/or sour cream) and cheese. Pour this over everything in the slow cooker and sprinkle with paprika (if using).

Turn the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 8-9 hours. Serve with a green salad or cooked vegetables and garlic bread.

NOTE: 1 x this recipe, cooked in a 4.5 litre oval slow cooker, is 4-5cm deep.

To cook conventionally: Assemble the 'filling' in the same way, layering the mixture into a non-stick sprayed 25x30cm lasagne dish. Cover with foil and place in a oven preheated to 180 degrees Celcius and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and pour on the topping mixture, then bake uncovered for a further 10 minutes. Remove from th oven and leave to stand for 15 minutes before serving.

Alison's Lazy Lasagne

For 4 - 6 servings:

2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

1 x 400g can whole or diced tomatoes in juice

1 x 30g pkt tomato soup, or tomato and onion soup mix

500g minced beef

¼ cup tomato paste

1 tsp each dried basil and oreganum

2 tsp instant beef stock

1 cup hot water

250g (about 3-4 cups) small lasagne shapes or long lasagne strips

Topping:

2 tsp cornflour

1 large egg

3/4 cup milk, sour cream, or a mixture

1 cup grated tasty cheese

paprika, optional

zappi, Jun 25, 2:32am
Turn the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 8-9 hours. Serve with a green salad or cooked vegetables and garlic bread.

NOTE: 1 x this recipe, cooked in a 4.5 litre oval slow cooker, is 4-5cm deep.

To cook conventionally: Assemble the 'filling' in the same way, layering the mixture into a non-stick sprayed 25x30cm lasagne dish. Cover with foil and place in a oven preheated to 180 degrees Celcius and bake for 50 minutes. Remove the foil and pour on the topping mixture, then bake uncovered for a further 10 minutes. Remove from th oven and leave to stand for 15 minutes before serving.

cookessentials, Jun 25, 2:54am
Pam's Ham Hock Soup

Not sure if you have a crockpot, but if you do, pop your hock into the crockpot and cover with water. Cook till meat falls off bone ( I usually do this overnight so it's ready to prepare the following day)
Remove the hock and with a slotted spoon, fish around the liquid and remove any bits of bone, skin and meat that has fallen off. Now, you can either wait for the liquid to go cold and take any fat off the top, or just remove any visible bits of fat off the top ( a folded piece of bread will do the trick - just skim gently across the top to soak up the fatty layer. To the liquid, add 1x lge chopped onion, a can of chopped tomatoes, 1-2 kumara, peeled and choped into fairly large dice. 1-2 potatoes chopped the same as the kumara, 1-2 swede peeled and chopped the same. 1-2 carrots peeled and sliced thickly, 1 litre container of Campbells chicken or vege stock and a good tbsp of tomato paste. Break up the meat from the ham hock and add this into the crockpot ( or stock pot) with the vege. Cook on high till vege are tender. Then add about 1-2 cups of either macaroni or spiral pasta if you like, this will make the soup lovely and thcik once it has cooked through. Season well with pepper ( you probably wont need salt as the stock should gove you enough flavour, but add it to your taste if you think it needs it.)Continue cooking slowly till pasta is cooked through. Serve with fresh crusty bread or make a nice garlic bread loaf and serve warm with the soup.

rainrain1, Jun 25, 5:53am
Don't take offence. I just hate the smell of crockpot cooking in my kitchen.lemons or no lemons

rainrain1, Jun 25, 6:07am
Of course. that's the best part :-)

yduj, Jun 28, 3:21am
Ham Hock soup - I use bacon or ham hock plus barley and add grated and chopped assorted veges, plenty of pumpkin (which I put in in chunks and smooosh later when it's cooked).Fill with water and cook for about 6-8hrs on high.No need to do the soup in two different stages, bung it all in and away you go.Once cooked and cooled, remove any fat that may have set,break up hock meat, mash veges a bit.Hearty and delicious and absolutely no hassle.Make it every week every winter and have for my lunches.