Corned Beef in slow cooker

dinkypinky, Jun 22, 12:03am
I don't have a recipe book yet - just bought the slow cooker! It is a Breville - oval one - has low and high setting, plus keep warm setting. How long do i cook corned beef - how much liquid and do you add anything else? many thanks

harrislucinda, Jun 22, 12:23am
putonlow , halffill with water , addgoldensyruporbay leafcook all dayIdo whatever thesize, addonioncarrot

cookessentials, Jun 22, 1:28am
Rinse your corned beef under cold running water first. Boil jug and place meat into crockpot. pour over enough boiled water to completely cover the mat, then add 1 tbsp soft brown sugar, 1 tbsp malt ( brown) vinegar a couple of bay leaves and six whole cloves. Set to high for about 7 hours, then reduce to low until ready to serve. You can serve with a mustrad or onion sauce, creamy mash and vege.

turtlet, Jun 22, 1:38am
I have a Breville and do what cookessentials says above - it will be lovely.

rolznsp, Jun 22, 2:38am
As well as doing all of the above I add in potatoes and carrots first underneath the corn beef then stuff as much cabbage in also. nomnomnom

tipsy_bl0nde, Jun 22, 2:47am
i add the juice of one lemon into crock pot. as well as an onion chopped and a small amount of chicken stock with bay leaves and honey. very yum

dinkypinky, Jun 23, 10:52am
thanks all for the good ideas - will try it tomorrow!

dinkypinky, Jun 28, 4:05am
do i need to turn corned beef over half way through cooking in crockpot?

crab2, Jun 28, 4:08am
I do

sherralynne, Jun 28, 4:12am
Hi, our favourite way of doing corned beef is to pour a 1. 5 litre bottle of ginger ale over the meat, add 1 tablespoon each of honey and ground ginger, then add enough boiling water to just cover the meat. Cook for 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. This is a super way of cooking the corned beef, the meat remains moist for at least 2 days after cook and the ginger flavour is very subtle. We have given this recipe to many people and they have enjoyed it too. You don't have to turn the meat at all.

beaker59, Jun 28, 6:15am
I don't bother with the rinseing off the meat as generally these days I don't find it too salty. I also just go simple 3 or 4 bay leaves, and a few cloves with a good slug of malt vinegar I don't turn over. time depends on how long I have if its all day while at work I have it on low if its early afternoon on a sunday I put it on high for 3 or 4 hours never had one over cooked had the occasional one which is slightly overcooked but still very nice and edible but soft like my wife likes.

ferrit47, Jul 10, 3:01am
I put VinegarTablespoon Brown Sugar Pepper& Salt in mine. Cover Meat with water Cook on high for first 2 hours and then turn to low for rest of day.

didee, Jul 10, 5:50am
best Ive had was cooked buy a guy at work, it fell off the fork and melted in your mouth, all he does is open the bag with all the gooey bits chucksthe meat and gooey stuff in the pot fills in the crock pot with water and cooks on low for 10 hours. no added xtras. i tried it this way and its beautifull

cookessentials, Jul 10, 6:04am
I like to rinse my corned beef because, more often than not, they are covered in a gelatenous bloody gloop which looks far from appetising

enjoytrademe, Jul 10, 8:51am
I have cooked corned beef many times in slow cooker with great success, with only water to cover, whole cloves and some dried chilli. Could someone please tell me what benefit there is to add vinegar - thanks

cookessentials, Jul 10, 9:01am
I just find it adds to the flavour. I cover with water, add malt vinegar, brown sugar, whole cloves and a couple of bay leaves.

alfredtonroad, Jul 10, 9:06am
substitute brown sugar with honey or golden syrup, all yummy

jaybee2003, Jul 10, 9:07am
I don't know why but my crockpot cookbook corned beef recipe starts with

"Preheat the crockpot on high for about 20 minutes. "

I've cooked it both with and without preheating, and it has been fine both ways. I have also heard of people cracking hotpot bowls though, when cooking larger cuts of meat. Perhaps the preheat is related to that? . Does anyone know why the preheat?

jaybee2003, Jul 10, 9:08am
Has anyone tried the recipe in the Dominion Post Ingulgence Mag the other day for Spiced sugar-glazed corned beef? I bought a corned beef to try this one day next week. It sounds nice.

winnie231, Jul 10, 9:11am
I'm teaching Mum to use a slow cooker at the mo & bought her Joan Bishops recipe book to help. In there it says to preheat your cooker so that when you pour in boiling water to cover the corned beef - you don't crack the 'pot' by having hot water hit a cold dish.

beaker59, Jul 11, 1:55am
Probably just because Mum and Grandma before her did and thats good enough for me there was a reason which I can't remember possibly something to do with saltiness.

sherralynne, Jul 11, 4:23am
Hi, I went to a Crockpot/Slow Cooker demonstration evening with Robyn Martin a few weeks ago. I asked her whether it was necessary to heat the crockpot/slow cooker first, as I also have three of Joan Bishop's recipe books. Robyn said to me that it wasn't necessary, so I no longer heat the crockpot before putting the food in and have found it doesn't make any difference to the food.

guest, Oct 24, 10:43pm
I always found that cooking silverside (espec coming out of the bag and gooey was far too salty. I asked our Nana and she suggested to me....

I always wash it first and then put the.....
Corned Silverside (up to 1.5kg)

1 x Whole Orange. unpeeled, as is (take the sticker off, it's a hassle to fish out later)

1 x Whole Onion, peeled and quartered

2 - 3 Level Tablespoons of Brown Sugar

Up to 8 Black Pepper Corns to taste

Up to 5 Bay Leaves, 3 if the leaves are large.

Cook on High for 3 - 4 hours to get it started. Turn on low for another 4 hours. Take out and put on a draining rack. It will be falling apart so needs the time to set before cutting. It will still be hot and oh sooo yummy.

Best Served with creamy mashed potato and either a salad, or good old carrots and fresh cut greens.