The packnsave mince looked nice and red...

Page 2 / 2
feris04, Jun 24, 3:32am
The meat on the bottom of the tray has been exposed to oxygen during packing, where as the middle of the pack hasnt, spread that same mince out flat so not in a lump and watch it go very bright red from brown.

superdave0_13, Jun 24, 4:33am
Many mant tonnes of beef and lamb are imported from Australia every week.

islaybrian, Jun 24, 4:49am
Is preservative added to supermarket mince? as our cats wont touch it.

marley, Jun 24, 5:43am
Actually you will be surprised at what we import... All our choice meat is exported and we import rubbish... But yeah sorry I was referring to Pork coming from China... and heaps of our veges too... Gingos all these years of laughing at the greenies and all their conspiracy theories! ! ! Now Im a believer! ! ! Sorry i didnt mean to pick on China... But I am a big fan of labelling where all our foods come from... especially veges etc.

trading_gibsons, Jun 24, 6:02am
I forgot all about this thread & bought some mine from P & S today. When I started cooking it for nachos I remembered & looked at it. Yes red on top & not so red underneath.

praxxis, Jun 25, 7:58am
Still don't quite get it... ... So exposure to oxygen turns the surface of meat bright red. That I can accept, but surely the plastic wrapping of Supermarket bought meat excludes the exposure to air/oxygen and a handful of mince doesn, t sit very long in a polystyrene tray before being wrapped so how come top and bottom surface bright red. I have also noticed our cats are not too keen on Spuermarket bought mince. Surely there must be someone out there who has worked in a Supermarket Butchery who can give us an honest answer as to whether or not their meat receives any treatment to enhance appearance or preservative before packing.

twinsforus, Jun 25, 8:40am
I used to work for Foodtown as a meat packer (and occasional mince maker! ) and can honestly say that absolutely NO dyes or preservatives were ever added to the minced meats (beef, lamb, pork and chicken).

razell, Jun 26, 3:07am
I was a meat packer and we never put anything in the mince. We would get annoyed with people suggesting that we did that, especially when mince was on special and we had packed literally 100's of kilos of the stuff. We just did not have time to fiddle around with it and why would we when we sold so much of it? It does not make any sense.

The plastic wrap does make the meat look nice especially under the lights in the cabinet.

As for cats not liking it, my boss used to say that cats don't like meat that has been vacuumed packed as much of the meat used for mince in supermarkets has been. I don't know how true that is though.

annie.nz, Jun 26, 6:35am
Yup. If a pack of mince is red on the inside, I tend to get suspicious about added oxidants.

Myoglobin is related to haemoglobin, the oxygen carrying molecule in blood - it shows the same colour change. It's bright red in well oxygenated arterial blood, and a more violaceous colour in deoxygenated blood - venous blood is quite a bit darker. Compare the colour in the skin of a child who's all pink after a bath to the purplish colour on the cheeks and mouth of an elderly overweight smoker, and you can see the difference.

glenn-ellyn, Jun 26, 6:45am
What a load of rubbish. There is no way anything is added to mince in the way of food colouring or preservative. That is illegal and the powers that be have peoplebuy mince and sausages so that they can be tested. Same as weights and measures people come and weightrays and bags of meat to see if the weight of the trays and bags have been 'tared' off. Big fines if they havn't been. Any mince still on the cabinet the next day was always dumped. After 30 years working in shops, factories and supermarkets I have no hesitation buying my meat from the supermarket and I never find anything to complain about.

tinkagirl, Jun 26, 7:02am
You know, I have brought meat from everywhere and I still can not beat the meat at Manukau PaknSave... it has always been fresh, less fat and good prices. I do like to make my own mince however, I just buy packs of rump steak and mince in the my food processer, that way I get all the fat out and nothing is added to it.

skippy33, Jun 26, 7:07am
hubby was doing a job at a mad butcher years ago, the staff were bringing all the mince out the back and repacking it with a different expiry date and they were smoking while doing it, hubby couldent get over it.

tinkagirl, Jun 26, 7:11am
That is just one more reason I don't buy at the mad butcher... yuk

purplegoanna, Sep 8, 11:14am
try the meat from the butchers on roscommmon road up just before clendon, the a bakery, IGA and video shop in the same block of buildings, thats were i get my meat from, there mince, snags, chops & brisket is lovely. . (found the steak & schnitzel tough at times though)