Callanetics - the recipe for a fit, beautiful body

Page 2 / 13
uli, Jan 7, 12:12am
As everything in life - even religion went that way - not much left of the original intent or 10 commandments when you look at the dealings of the Catholic Church nowadays.

uli, Jan 7, 12:14am
For now I will keep to her earliest 2 or 3 books and once I am at Super Callanetics level - I can then see what the newer videos say - might be a couple of years down the track for me at least.

craytail, Jan 7, 12:36am
Like you uli, Im going to stick with the book too. I like being able to go at my own pace, in a quiet room - and before all the 'fiddling' to the exercises came along. My personal preference.

kate777, Jan 7, 1:52am
Hey Parryduck, great to hear good feedback from someone that has the same DVD - can I ask what kind of results you got and how long that took you? Also why did you stop doing it?

parryduck, Jan 7, 2:28am
Hi Kate

I noticed a lot of results over a few weeks, some big, some small, but they all counted toward me feeling great, younger too;
I could bend over at the waist gardeining and from 1 spot week the length of my arms (even behind me) without moving, I was so flexible thro the wiast etc

I loved the fact that I could stand on 1 foot in the shower, hoist my other foot up to my chest to wash it and not fall over LOL

I found myself sleeping in all kinds of positions that were not comfy prior - like with a leg hooked into thetop of the thigh of my other leg (like the lotus position) but I slept like that

I have always got pins and needles walking up hills - in the lower leg - that stopped

I could scratch my back in places I was never able to reach

My belly tightened

My butt lifted

My legs looked amazing - really re-shaped them, as did my arms

I lost 2 dress sizes (but not a lot of weight as such)

Quite a list really. I stopped because I got lazy :((
And life took a different turn for a while, - we all know how it is.
Callanetics was/is the best thing I have done for myself

parryduck, Jan 7, 2:30am
PS There is a NZ site called futuregym that offers a lot of info about benefits - thats where I first got onto it - was put off by the prices, so bought from AU

kate777, Jan 7, 2:41am
Thanks parryduck that's really encouraging! Today is only my second time doing it and it's still pretty hard but that's a good thing or I would be doing it wrong or the dvd would be the wrong level I guess and anyway, plenty of room to improve! I look forward to being all stretchy and sleeping in funny positions ;)

parryduck, Jan 7, 3:42am
LOL Kate - You might have opportunity to put the stretchy body and funny positions to a better use:)

uli, Jan 7, 3:52am
Remember too that you do not have to do so many repeats to start off with. Just do as many as you comfortably can and at your own pace. It is not designed to get you overtired and sore. In fact I always feel revived after doing the exercises.

kate777, Jan 7, 7:09am
Ha ha, my poor boyfriend.

kate777, Jan 8, 9:09am
Have just done my third session and definitely noticing that the exercises are becoming a bit easier and the positions easier to hold correctly for longer so I'm feeling very encouraged!

Just a quick question for those of you who have been doing it a bit longer: How often can/should I do this? I have been doing it every day (for 3 days! ) and have not noticed any soreness or fatigue, just continuing strength.
Am I ok to continue doing it daily?
Cheers.

pepelepew, Jan 8, 9:31am
She was already 'old' when I first started using her exercises in the 90's so I' am pleasantly surprised to learn that she is still around.

letto, Jan 8, 10:36pm
you have all inspired me, I have just ordered the south africian girls DVD, hope it transforms me. . hey Kate the postage time is 4 weeks, did you have to wait that long? ?

kate777, Jan 8, 10:59pm
It was nearly 3 weeks, but that was over Christmas/ New Years so chances are good it was held up by public holidays!

Let us know how you go once you start. ;)

uli, Jan 8, 11:42pm
Yes you can do the exercises daily. However it really depends what else you do. I go to the gym and pool 3 times a week for rehab and do the callanetics on the days in between at home - with Sunday being my day "off".

I personally find once you hit the point where you cannot go further and get "stuck" on the same number of repeats, that you will be getting ahead faster by doing the exercises every second or even third day to give the muscles a chance to repair and recover.

It also helps if you had a very taxing hour or two of exercising (I used to take more than 2 hours in the beginning to go through the exercises and still only did 20 or 30 repeats of each) to immediately after drink a shake made of whey protein powder, some yoghurt and maybe berries to give the body all the protein it needs to repair or build up. This will also allow you to NOT go and scoff sugar or grain based stuff, as you are full then :)

Keep away from any of the meal replacements or soy based stuff - NOT good for the body at all. Keep with whey protein powder. My favourite (after much research) is Red8 Vanilla - which is sweetened with Stevia (which is better than any of the other "artificial" = non-sugar sweeteners). You can use that as a base to add all sorts of other flavours so you do not get sick of it.

I am happy to see so many more people taking it up - You go girls :)

kate777, Jan 9, 12:21am
Thanks Uli, I did wonder about muscle fatigue, I might schedule in a walk day in between callanetics days to let them sort themselves out.

I might flag the powder drink though, I love real food too much! A mushroom omelette might have to be dinner on those days ;)

uli, Jan 9, 4:59am
Yes - I do like "real" food too - and I never would go near any of those "meal replacement" drinks. However once I have finished in the gym and pool - not doing much by any-ones standards as I am still "re-habbing" - I really feel I need to "eat" something and I find a whey protein drink (which is just the powder and some cold water) works ok with me. But if you are at home and can have a piece of cheese or meat or yoghurt then so much the better :)

pepelepew, Jan 9, 5:57am
Ok perhaps my comments sounded ageist, but that was not the intent.
Callan must now be in her late 60's or early 70's and while I have not seen pictures of her lately, back in the 1980’s she would have been in her 40’s and back then she had a body to be envied.
As I recall Jane Fonda was far more popular at the time and I tried her exercises and bought the book, but in the end the cardiovascular type exercises proved too exhausting.

maxwell.inc, Jan 9, 6:16am
Callan Pinckney (born 1939/40 as Barbara Biffinger Pfeiffer Pinckney

So 70/71

http://www.callanetics.com/images/picPatCallan. jpg

Callan in the red shirt.

uli, Jan 9, 9:56pm
Yep - and chronic cardio is actually not healthy at all. So your body gave you the right message :)

uli, Jan 17, 11:05pm
Welcome to the fold pixiegirl :)

pixiegirl, Jan 18, 12:40am
lol thanks uli - I was quick eh. As soon as I seen it come up on my favourite search I was there. Have been suffering with lower back problem for a while now and only have to go for a short walk and I feel the pain. Also probably doesn't help carrying extra weight as well! Plus also being diabetic my feet have been giving me hell which I think is from blood circulation and I am hoping this will also help. Fingers crossed.

letto, Jan 18, 12:53am
Received callanetics dvd and have done 2 sessions, my body loves stretching and I will definitely keep this up, hopefully getting stronger, one thing I really love, is the way I am standing straight, tucking in and using my upper back for support. my posture is shocking! ! ! ! and these exercises I'm sure will help me heaps. . thanks girlies for inspiring me. cheers

uli, Jan 18, 9:15am
well done pixiegirl and letto.
Now just keep it up :)

craytail, Jan 18, 11:23am
As for me - I have scoliosis and used to have extreme trouble getting out of bed of a morning and would also sleep too deeply, therefore not moving enough during the night which would compound my back issues. Getting out of bed of a morning USED to be a mission and as for trying to pick the children up etc, well, dont get me started.

Since doing Callanetics, I HAVE HAD NO BACK TROUBLE and bounce out of bed of a morning.

My only regret is NOT finding out about these earlier in life and instead going to the stupid chiropractor... . .

Night ladies (or should that be morning? ? ... ... )