Wattie's Indian Style Tomatoes-anyone have a can?

sumstyle, Jun 1, 8:15am
I want to make the Food-In-a-Minute Indian Eggs recipe for tea tomorrow night, but there were no Indian style tomatoes in the supermarket tonight, and no gap where they could be usually. I had a look at the Wattie's website, and they still have them as a product.

Does anyone have a can of them in their pantry so you could read out the list of spices so I could try to match the taste? I'd be ever so grateful for your help, cos I really was surprised how much I liked this lentils recipe.

mvo, Jun 1, 8:28am
Not in my pantry at the moment (I just have the Mexican ones, so they must have been on special) but I would add some chopped onion -and for the spices, try the usual suspects; garam masala, ground coriander, ground cumin and chilli powder to taste - just a little of each...

sumstyle, Jun 1, 8:53am
Bother, I only have chilli powder, looks like I'll have to throw in random spices and wing it! thanks mvo

boxsters3, Jun 1, 8:54am
If it helps according to the can. Watties Indian Style tomatoes have
Tomatoes (Diced & Puree 85%); Onions (6%); Green Capsicum (3%); Sugar; Canola Oil; Salt; Indian Spices;Garlic; Mustard Seeds; Black Pepper; Food Acid (citric acid)

sumstyle, Jun 1, 9:20am
thanks boxsters - how nicely vague Watties have been "Indian Spices"! ! I'm sure I'll manage, and appreciate both of your responses.

tigra, Jun 1, 9:55am
My wife is Indian and we just buy Budget Chopped Tomatoes.

ferita, Jun 1, 10:04am
Just add a spoon of curry powder to normal diced tomatoes in a can.

elliehen, Jun 1, 11:34am
x1
Garam masala is useful to have in the pantry for an authentic Indian flavour in a hurry. It's a blend of the aromatic spices nutmeg, coriander, cloves, cumin, fennel, cardamom, cinnamom, ginger, black pepper and red pepper.

guest, May 30, 6:38am
Just used a can of the watties indian spiced tomatoes tonight in a dish...I tasted it before it went in and it definitely tasted like it had curry power in it (which in itself is a spice mix with turmeric, ground coriander, cumin, chilli etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_powder). Hope that helps!