Mainland butter price rise

Page 1 / 2
davidt4, Feb 13, 12:37am
I have only recently gone back to buying NZ butter, which I did whenthe foil-wrapped Mainland butter came on the market (it is clean tasting and fresh, unlike all the other ones). I've been paying around $3. 40 for a 500g block.

At New World this morning the pricewas $5. 29 ! ! The only change to the packaging was a silly little sticker saying "as seen on Masterchef". I suppose the consumer is expected to pay for whatever it cost Mainland to be a sponsor.

glendeb, Feb 13, 12:41am
Woah, thats a price jump!

I agree butter just doesn't taste very nice at all lately. Almost like its been beside a carton of washing powder - although that may be my tastebubs!

krazy_kat, Feb 13, 1:04am
But why has the price of butter not come down when the price of cheese has?

fruitluva2, Feb 13, 1:04am
crumbs that's a big hike.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 13, 1:09am
I must get some and try it - when it's on special.

maxwell.inc, Feb 13, 1:33am
I normally buy that one and Tararua they are $2. 99 on alternating weeks down here at NW. . so will be interesting to see if the price has changed down here as well, will note to pay attention to all butter prices next week!

badd7, Feb 13, 1:43am
wow thats heaps... . i buy butter for baking but just buy what is special. when it is on special i buy 4 - 6 blocks and freeze it.

dbab, Feb 13, 2:17am
New World's Budget butter is good too. Haven't noticed any yucky tastes with it.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 13, 2:24am
I buy Tararua too Maxwell because, like you, I don't want water as one of the ingredients in my butter!

rotorbladz, Feb 13, 3:34am
Well today at our New World:

Pams 400g $2. 99
Mainland Paper Wrap $5. 85 for 500g
Mainland Foil Wrap $6. 25 for 500g

Ridiculous

harrislucinda, Feb 13, 4:22am
minedoesnotgo up in priceasmakemyown

davidt4, Feb 13, 4:26am
I'm sure that is a great comfort to all of us who are not rural.

fisher, Feb 13, 4:40am
wont use pams... have you ever melted in a frypan ? ? ? I only use butter for cooking in. . anchor up here in the north was 2. 79 a block last week... cheaper than pams...

nickyd, Feb 13, 4:48am
I too have noticed abig jump in price of butter, so grabbed a few extra on special at $3. 99 at New World. Milk and cheese price rises are following quickly behind I think.

tuii2, Feb 13, 4:51am
I think you'll find you have miss read the price. I paid 3. 49 this morning at a BOP New world. I got 4 blocks as it was on special. It too had the sticker... . .

davidt4, Feb 13, 4:55am
No I certainly did not misread the price. I could hardly believe my eyes.

It was on special at $3. 49 there two weeks ago. I wish I'd bought a dozen blocks...

maxwell.inc, Feb 13, 5:43am
Don't forget, in regards to NW prices. . there are 4 different pricing structures and specials throughout NZ. . Upper and Lower NI and upper and Lower SI. . its not all the same everywhere.

uli, Feb 13, 5:54am
I used the foil-wrapped Mainland butter for baking at Xmas for a trial - as I refuse to buy the paper wrapped rancid stuff and rather buy the imported Danish butter which is even dearer.
However it also has heaps of buttermilk still in it (like any other NZ butter) which you notice once you melt a block and at least 80g of the 500g is just white liquid. Not good enough really.

cherie19, Feb 13, 6:02am
So does the foil wrap make a huge difference then? I dont know how many packs of butter ive thrown out in the past because it has that horrible rancid taste to it?

davidt4, Feb 13, 6:19am
Yes, the foil makes a real difference because it is not porous like paper and it therefore keeps out smells and retards oxidisation.

The best butter available commercially in NZ is Lurpak, and that is what I used for most purposes for several years, despite its phenomenal price. It is mildly cultured and has a beautiful flavour. The other excellent butter is the tinned NZ butter (Golden Fern and Golden Churn), which is now only sold at duty-free shops, and is also extremely expensive.

willow123, Feb 13, 12:38pm
Nah it was on tv the other night that butter was going up. I stocked up on Rolling Meadow at Countdown today for $2. 69

toadfish, Feb 13, 6:04pm
It was over $5 in Pak'n'save Botany last night.

spandow, Feb 13, 6:24pm
Wow I went to PnS Sylvia Park yesterday 2 blocks for $6 so glad I got a couple.

toadfish, Feb 13, 6:27pm
I got Anchor for $2. 69... To be honest "I am as loyal as the girls on K Road" when it comes to butter purchasing... Whatevers cheapest.

chevyfireball, Feb 13, 7:05pm
rofpmpl im like you-i buy wotevas cheaper- i didnt realise there was soo much diff in buttter-sorry ignorant as i am i thought butter was butter