CHOCOLATE............

Page 2 / 4
indy95, Jun 11, 4:15am
This comes from the Autumn 2010 Donna Hay magazine and sounds just a little different from the usual chocolate cakes :

Chocolate Stout Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

250ml stout
225g butter, chopped
75g cocoa, sifted
2 eggs
160g sour cream
300g plain flour, sifted
1 1/2 t baking soda, sifted
440g castor sugar

Peanut Butter Frosting

160g icing sugar
280g smooth peanut butter
80g softened butter
1 t vanilla
80ml cream

Warm stout and butter together until the butter has dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in cocoa, then set aside.

Whisk the eggs and sour cream together. Add to the stout mixture with the flour, baking soda and sugar and whisk to combine.

Pour into a lightly greased 21 x 10 cm loaf tin which has been lined with baking paper. Bake at 160C for about 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.

To make the frosting beat the icing sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the cream and beat for another 2 minutes. Spread on the cooled cake.

cookessentials, Jun 14, 9:55pm
CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES

1 packet (250g) digestive biscuits
70g ground almonds
2 tbsp orange juice
2–3 tbsp chocolate orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier
375g packet milk chocolate melts

Put biscuits in a food processor 
and process until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl. Add almonds, orange juice and liqueur. Stir until 
well combined.
Put a third of the chocolate melts in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted and smooth.
Add melted chocolate to biscuit mixture and stir until well combined. Roll mixture into balls about the size 
of a large marble. Put truffles on a large plate or tray, cover and refrigerate.
Line a baking tray with baking paper. Melt remaining chocolate in a small saucepan. Drop truffles, 1 at a time, into the melted chocolate and coat by rolling between 2 forks. Transfer to prepared baking tray. Continue to coat remaining truffles with chocolate. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

cookessentials, Nov 30, 1:08am
Bumping up..I reckon the Valthona pearls could be used for the Mayan hot chocolate

cookessentials, Feb 17, 2:45am
That should read Valrhona pearls LOL.

chicco2, Feb 17, 3:49am
MISSISSIPPI MUD CAKE. Makes a deep 30cm square. (large cake) A very solid cake, used many times for weddings and other celebrations, good for decorating.
1.5kg dark choc buttons
1 kg butter
3/4 cup instant coffee powder dissolved in.
3&1/2 cups warm water
3 cups caster sugar
4 cups plain flour
1 cup SR flour
1/2 cup of liqueur any flavur you like.
6 beaten eggs
1tsp salt.
METHOD.
melt buttons in a large Pyrex jug in the microwave, 1 minute bursts, stir well.
Cream butter and sugar, beat in the eggs
You will need a really large bowl for the mixing the rest together.
Fold all other ingredients in gradually.
Pour into a well lined tin. Bake @ 150 C for 2-3 hrs.
During the last 20mins or so, I place a folded damp T-towel over the nearly cooked cake to prevent a cracked crust to form.
Allow the cake to COMPLETELY cool, before tipping out of the tin
Ice with gnache.
Keeps well and pieces can be warmed in the microwave and served with cream or icecream.
1/2 the recipe will probably give you a 20cm cake.
WARNING. this cake does not earn the Heart Foundation tick.

chicco2, Feb 17, 3:49am
MISSISSIPPI MUD CAKE. Makes a deep 30cm square. (large cake) A very solid cake, used many times for weddings and other celebrations, good for decorating.
1.5kg dark choc buttons
1 kg butter
3/4 cup instant coffee powder dissolved in...
3&1/2 cups warm water
3 cups caster sugar
4 cups plain flour
1 cup SR flour
1/2 cup of liqueur any flavur you like.
6 beaten eggs
1tsp salt.
METHOD..
melt buttons in a large Pyrex jug in the microwave, 1 minute bursts, stir well.
Cream butter and sugar, beat in the eggs
You will need a really large bowl for the mixing the rest together.
Fold all other ingredients in gradually.
Pour into a well lined tin. Bake @ 150 C for 2-3 hrs.
During the last 20mins or so, I place a folded damp T-towel over the nearly cooked cake to prevent a cracked crust to form.
Allow the cake to COMPLETELY cool, before tipping out of the tin
Ice with gnache.
Keeps well and pieces can be warmed in the microwave and served with cream or icecream.
1/2 the recipe will probably give you a 20cm cake.
WARNING... this cake does not earn the Heart Foundation tick.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 17, 4:08am
Seriously into dark chocolate and 100% cacao! Take a look here. I buy from them once a month.
http://www.willieschocolateshop.com/

bedazzledjewels, Feb 17, 4:08am
Seriously into dark chocolate and 100% cacao? Take a look here. I buy from them once a month.
http://www.willieschocolateshop.com/

cookessentials, Mar 14, 8:25pm
Chocolate Cherry Slice
Ingredients:
2 & 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
400g red glace cherries, halved
395g can sweetened condensed milk
100g Kremelta, melted
Red food colouring, to tint
375g bag Dark Choc Melts
Method:
Grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and sides with baking paper. Combine coconut, cherries, milk and Kremelta in a large bowl. Tint mixture pink with red food colouring. Knead to combine. Set aside. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Stir bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Spread half the chocolate over base of prepared pan. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes, or until set. Firmly press coconut mixture over chocolate. Spread remaining chocolate over coconut mixture. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, or until set. Lift slice from pan. Using a serrated knife, cut into small bars.
Tip: Slice can be made up to five days ahead. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.

maynard9, Mar 15, 7:50pm
Oh Pam - you wicked wicked lady putting these ever so tempting recipes up for us.It will be worth those extra kms on my bike I am sure.

cookessentials, Mar 15, 8:28pm
Life is too short not to eat chocolate LOL

elliehen, Mar 15, 9:03pm
Have you tried the dark chocolate-covered Goji Berries from Countdown?

You can feel virtuous while eating chocolate, knowing you're also eating a berry containing antioxidants in greater quantity than in blueberries.Because you have to chew them a bit thoughtfully, it's impossible to scoff them ;)

elliehen, Mar 16, 9:03pm
Have you tried the dark chocolate-covered Goji Berries from Countdown!

You can feel virtuous while eating chocolate, knowing you're also eating a berry containing antioxidants in greater quantity than in blueberries.Because you have to chew them a bit thoughtfully, it's impossible to scoff them ;)

cookessentials, Apr 12, 10:09pm
Chocolate Cake With Whipped Choc Frosting

150g cocoa
375ml boiling water
500g butter, softened
1kg caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 eggs
600) self-raising flour
150g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
625ml buttermilk
WHIPPED CHOCOLATE FROSTING

300g dark chocolate, chopped
200g milk chocolate, chopped
180g butter, chopped
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to moderately slow (160C/140C fan-bake). Whisk cocoa and boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth; cool.

Grease a deep 30cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with two layers of baking paper, extending the paper 5cm above the edge of the pan.

Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Transfer butter mixture to a very large bowl.

Stir in combined sifted flours and soda, and the buttermilk in three batches until well combined. Stir in the cocoa mixture, mix well. Spread mixture into the prepared pan and bake in a moderately slow oven for 1 1/2 hours or until cooked when tested. Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.

Spread Whipped Chocolate Frosting mixture over the top and sides of the cooled cake.

WHIPPED CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Place both chocolates and butter in a medium heatproof bowl, stir over a pan of simmering water until chocolate and butter melts. Stir in the oil. Refrigerate chocolate mixture until thick. Beat chocolate mixture with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes.

cookessentials, Apr 12, 10:10pm
Can't say i have. i have ordinary ones, although, they are an aquired taste LOL

cookessentials, Apr 13, 10:10pm
Can't say i have. i have ordinary ones, although, they are an aquired taste LOL

245sam, Apr 20, 10:21am
bumped for all chocolate lovers and while I'm doing so I'll add another chocolate temptation.

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
3 cups plain flour(450g)
1 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa
1½ cups brown sugar(360g)
½cup each ofdark chocolate dotsandwhite chocolate dots – or chocolate buttons, quartered
120g butter, melted
1¼ cups milkor1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt+½ cup milk
2 x 60g eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 5cm muffin pan.
Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl.Add the brown sugar and dark and white chocolate dots.Mix, then add the melted butter, milk (or yoghurt and milk) and eggs and mix well.Three-quarters fill each of the muffin moulds.
Bake at180°Cforapproximately 20 minutes.Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before turning out.:-))

cookessentials, Apr 20, 9:32pm
Nothing like a good triple chocolate muffin!

visionspring, Apr 20, 10:39pm
Lovely thread, chocoholics unite! This recipe is a simple chocolate cake for people who are really clumsy in the kitchen, like me;)

~~ Banana choc pudding/cake ~~

285g bittersweet dark chocolate (70% or 85% is good)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature and softened
3 very ripe bananas (cut into pieces)
4 eggs
3 tsp cinnamon

1. Melt chocolate in a double boiler and set aside.
2. Chuck bananas and butter into food processor and cream together.
3. While the food processor is whizzing, add the beaten eggs.
4. Then add the 3 tbsp while it's still going, then add the melted chocolate.
5. Dump into buttered baking tin
6. Bake at 180C for about 1/2 hour

When it is still warm, it will have the consistency of a thick chocolate pudding. However once it cools in the fridge it will become the consistency of a dense, flourless chocolate cake.

Last night I made this but I lined the bottom of the cake tin with stewed pear halves, then poured the batter over and baked. Totally hits the spot when you are craving something dense and chocolatey!

visionspring, Apr 20, 10:39pm
Lovely thread, chocoholics unite! This recipe is a simple chocolate cake for people who are really clumsy in the kitchen, like me;)

~~ Banana choc pudding/cake ~~

285g bittersweet dark chocolate (70% or 85% is good)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature and softened
3 very ripe bananas (cut into pieces)
4 eggs
3 tsp cinnamon

1. Melt chocolate in a double boiler and set aside.
2. Chuck bananas and butter into food processor and cream together.
3. While the food processor is whizzing, add the beaten eggs.
4. Then add the 3 tbsp cinnamon while it's still going, then add the melted chocolate.
5. Dump into buttered baking tin
6. Bake at 180C for about 1/2 hour

When it is still warm, it will have the consistency of a thick chocolate pudding. However once it cools in the fridge it will become the consistency of a dense, flourless chocolate cake.

Last night I made this but I lined the bottom of the cake tin with stewed pear halves, then poured the batter over and baked. Totally hits the spot when you are craving something dense and chocolatey!

cookessentials, Apr 22, 8:02am
A couple of moist choc cake recipes here.

cookessentials, Apr 23, 10:27pm
HAZELNUT CARAMEL SLICE

200g butter, chopped
50g cocoa powder
400g firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten lightly
225g plain flour
200g dark chocolate, melted, cooled
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Caramel filling
180g unsalted butter, chopped
110g caster sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
180ml sweetened condensed milk
175g whole hazelnuts, toasted

NOTE: This recipe can be made two days ahead; store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to moderately slow (160C). Grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan, line the base and two sides with baking paper.

Combine the butter and cocoa in a medium saucepan, stir over low heat until smooth. Add sugar, stir until dissolved.

Remove from heat, add vanilla, eggs and sifted flour; mix well. Spread mixture into prepared pan, bake in a moderately slow oven for 20 minutes; cool.

For the caramel filling, combine butter, sugar, syrup and condensed milk in a medium saucepan; stir over a low heat until butter is melted. Increase the heat to medium and simmer, stirring, for about 13 minutes or until mixture is a dark caramel colour.

Remove from the heat and stir in the hazelnuts. Quickly spread the caramel filling evenly over the base, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until firm.

Combine the chocolate and oil in a small bowl then spread over the caramel filling; refrigerate until set.

cookessentials, May 11, 7:19pm
Bumping up for chocolate dessert recipes

willman, May 11, 8:13pm
Bought a ( yummy ) ' tan slice ',but chocolate,from the 'Deli Counter,at the Supermarket,in Wellington Rail Station,recently.Anyone have the recipe,they would like to share.Thanks.

miffycat1, May 11, 10:38pm
Does anyone know where the factory shop in Christchurch is that you can buy bags of chocolate for baking.Believe it is open on Fridays only.
I remember reading a message on the recipe thread but now cannot find it.
Just love anything made with chocolate