Pumpkin soup

ardmore4, May 25, 10:25am
any good easy, tasty pumpkin soup recipes out there

dwebble, May 25, 11:02am
I like to keep mine simple, though I do variations on it. I figure if you have a good base, then from there you can be as creative as you like.
I cut up my pumpkin and boil it with a tsp of sugar.

Once its boiled I drain some of the water. I leave about enough that its still covering half the pumkin. I then add some cream, salt, pepper, a bit of veg or chicken stock (only a tsp or two), and a bit of smoked paprika. I blitz it hard out with my stick blender and then just add a bit of the left over juice and/or cream until its the consistency I want.

From there you can go as creative as you like and add any other flavours. But as I said I love mine pretty basic.

245sam, May 25, 11:03am
ardmore4, there have been lots of "good easy, tasty pumpkin soup recipes" here on this Trade Me MB so try doing a search here on the MB using 'pumpkin soup' as the Keyword and 'Anytime' as the Date posted option - that search should give you plenty of recipes to choose from. :-))

skata, May 25, 8:37pm
I always put cream in mine, gives it a lovely texture. Also two cans of creamed corn.
A tip for you;if you find it hard cutting the pumpkin, put it in the microwave for 10 minutes. That makes it really easy to cut and peel.

purplegoanna, May 25, 8:50pm
mine is a tm winner every winter. Roast Pumpkin & Garlic Soup
I use a whole lge white skinned ‘Crown or Grey pumpkins’, cut into wedges, peel skin, deseeded then half again, roast in olive oil with 1-2 lge garlic bulbs, broken into cloves and peeled. Separately dice & fry 5-6 rashers of bacon in a large saucepan. After bacon is browned add pumpkin pieces & garlic. Use a stick blender to blend into a smooth mix, adding enough chicken stock while blending until you get a nice thick soup consistency, then add, salt, pepper & 1tsp curry powder to taste. Reheat on low heat slowly and serve with grilled cheese toast. To impress guests add a dollop of sour cream just before serving, use a toothpick and draw lines from sour cream out

stormbaby, May 25, 9:34pm
My pumpkin pieces get roasted in a big frypan with whole garlic cloves (unpeeled). The garlic gets taken out. Then I fry up some onions and tumeric or cummin with salt and pepper in a big pot with a little butter, add a couple of litres of home made chicken stock. Add the pumpkin pieces, cook till tender. Then it gets cooled, put through a blender with the peeled, roasted and very tender garlic. Adjust the seasoning and voila, lashings of roasted pumkin and garlic soup.

stormbaby, May 25, 9:35pm
And that's very similar to purplegoannas. I got mine off the internet, it was the first one I found when googling Roast Pumpkin soup.

purplegoanna, May 25, 10:58pm
its just the bestest with cheesey toasted rolls. . my other fav is leek & potato

nauru, May 26, 6:47am
This is a real easy recipe and very nice.

1/2 large pumpkin peeled & chopped, 2-3 carrots chopped, 1 large onion chopped, 1 stick celery chopped, 2-3 cloves garlic chopped, 2 teasp turmeric, 1 teasp gd cumin, 1/2 -1 teasp gd coriander, 1 teasp curry powder, 4 bay leaves, bouquet garni (optional), 1 ltr stock, salt & pepper, chopped fresh coriander and parsley, oil, 1 cup milk & cream mixed.

Fry onion & garlic in a little oil, add spices and stir fry. Add pumpkin, carrot, celery and mix together. Add stock & herbs and stir, bring to boil then turn heat to simmer & cook until veges are soft. Remove herbs and blend soup until smooth. Return to pan, add fresh herbs and milk mixture and season to taste, stir until combined. If soup is thinner than you like, thicken with either a little cornflour or potato starch, if too thick thin with a little more milk.

waswoods, Jun 9, 5:56pm
I have started roasting some onions too