Lamb Pie Recipe Anyone??

clairen, Nov 1, 11:40pm
I need a lamb pie recipe. My husband butchered a lamb yesterday and we have a bit of meat i want to make yummp pie's with. Any suggestions?

245sam, Nov 1, 11:43pm
from:- http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=21&t=905

"Lamb & Yoghurt Pie (or beef or venison)
Make wholemeal pastry: 115g white flour, 115g wholemeal flour (not too coarse), 1 tsp salt, 140g butter, 1 egg, 1 – 2 tsp cold water. *Filling* 2 tab olive oil, 700g minced lamb, beef or venison, 1 large onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tsp mild curry paste, ½ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp tumeric, 2 stalks celery diced, 1/2c coconut, ¾ c raisins, 1 c water, 1 c yoghurt. Sauté meat, onion, garlic and spices in oil. Add celery, coconut, raisins and water and simmer until almost dry. Add yoghurt and cool. Make double crusted pie, bake 200C 45 min. Serve warm or cold. posted by davidt4":-))

beaumonde, Nov 2, 4:48am
Minted Lamb pie
off recipes dot co dot nz
I used potato and Kumera instead of Parsnip it work out well
omitted the raisins too.

Ingredients 750g – 1kg lamb or hogget
2 Tbsp oil
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 medium-sized parsnips, peeled and diced
1 leek, trimmed, washed and finely diced
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp flour
1 cup beef stock
1 cup medium sweet sherry or use beef stock
½ cup raisins
2 Tbsp barley or brown rice
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
400g packet flaky puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg, beaten to glaze with

MethodCut the lamb into 2-3cm sized pieces. Season well with salt and pepper and brown quickly in hot oil. Set aside.

Add the vegetables to the pan and stir over a moderately high heat until the vegetables begin to brown a little (you may need to add a touch more oil). Stir in the garlic and flour and cook for 1 minute. Do not overcook, as the garlic will burn.

Stir in the sherry or stock, raisins and barley or brown rice and bring to a simmer. Transfer with the lamb to a casserole and cover.

Cook at 160°C until the lamb is tender. Cool, then stir in the mint and season with salt and pepper. Before covering with pastry, cool thoroughly. (If the pastry is placed on a hot filling it will have a soggy layer underneath. )

Transfer the cold mixture to a large pie dish, preferably one with a lip. Place a pie funnel in the center if you have one, or make one from foil. Brush the rim with water or egg glaze.

Roll out the pastry to 2cm larger than the pie dish. Cut a 1cm-wide strip and press this onto the pie dish rim. Then carefully roll the larger piece of pastry over the pie, pressing the top firmly onto the pastry-covered pie rim. Do not pinch the edges together though. Trim the edges.

Brush with egg glaze, being careful to avoid any glaze going over the cut edge of the puff pastry, as it will glue the layers together and prevent them from rising.

Bake at 220°C for 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 200°C for a further 20 minutes until the puff pastry is well risen and golden and the filling is hot.

jimminette, Nov 2, 4:53am
Savoury lamb stew with parsley dumplings.

750g Lamb, 2 pints water, 3 carrots, 2 onions, 4 potatoes, 1 tsph salt, pinch pepper, 1 bay leaf, ½ cup tomato sauce, 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley, 1½ Tbsp flour, water.

Remove bones from the meat. cut into 2. 5cm cubes. Put into a saucepan with the bones, cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hr. Add sliced carrots, chopped onions, potatoes, cut in large dice, salt, pepper, bay leaf, tomatoe sauce and parsley. Bring to the boil again and simmer for a further 10 minst. Remove pan from heat, remove bones and bay leaf. Blend flour with a little water, stir into saucepan, return to head and cooks, stirring until it thickens. Drop dumplin dough by heaped dessertspoonful on top of hot bubbling stew. Cover tightly and cook for 15-20 mins.

Parsley dumplings to follw

jimminette, Nov 2, 4:55am
Parsley Dumplings.

1 cup flour, 2 tsp baking pweder, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp butter, 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley, ½ cup milk.

Sift flour bakingpoweder and salt. Cut i the butter and then stir in the parsley. Add milk all at once, stirring quickly to make soft, sticky dough.

I often make these dumplings to go with steak and kidney stew instead of making steak and kidney pie.

rainrain1, Jul 10, 10:55pm
Lamb in a pie would be a waste of sweet meat... . . use mutton for pies, grill your lamb :-)