Lemon self saucing pudding - nothing fiddly

dibble35, Aug 15, 5:52am
Has anyone out there got a good, tried and true lemon self saucing type pudding recipe they could post (thats not to fiddly). I've tried a very simple looking recipe I found online but it tasted awful, ended up chucking most of it away which is very unlike me. All the other recipes i've seen involve lots of whipping of egg yolks, egg whites etc, folding them in, just want something simple, like my choc self saucing recipe but lemon instead, TIA

245sam, Aug 15, 6:13am
dibble35, here are some recipes from the former Trade Me Cooks that IMO are the quick mix-type that I understand you're wanting.

"self-saucing pudding that has a smooth custard –like sauce under a fluffy golden sponge. Serve with gently whipped cream.
1 cup plain flour, 2 tsp bp, ¼ cup sugar, 50 grams butter, Grated rind of two lemons, ½ cup milk, sauce, ¾ cup sugar, 2 tblsp butter, ½ cup lemon juice, ½ cup boiling water. Method 1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease a 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish. 2. Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl. Rub in the butter and make a well in the centre. 3. Stir in the lemon rind and milk and mix well. Spread into the prepared dish. 4. Stir the sauce ingredients together in a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over the batter. 5. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
posted by pam.delilah

Lemon Self Saucing Pudding
Pudding: 125gms butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, Grated rind of one lemon, 3/4 cup flour 1 1/2 tsps baking powder, about 1/4 cup milk. In a large wide bowl (you can cook the pudding in this too), cream butter and sugar and lemon rind. Add eggs and beat very well. Sift flour and BP together and fold into creamed mix. Add sufficient mix to make a thinnish batter. Mix well then spread out evenly in the bowl. Set aside while you prepare the sauce. Turn your kettle on to boil. Sauce: In a heat proof jug or bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon cornflour, the grated rind of 1 lemon and the juice of the two lemon's you've used. Mix well and add 1 1/2cups just boiled water. Stir together. Pour carefully over the top of the batter. Microwave uncovered on high for 10 minutes or till the pudding is just cooked. And. enjoy. Hope you like this.
posted by juliewn

Lemon Self Saucing Pudding
1c sr flour, 3/4c sugar, 1 egg, 40gm melted butter, 1/2c milk, 2 lemons rind grated and juiced, 1T cornflour, 1T custard powder, 1 1/2c boiling water. Combine flour and 1/4c caster sugar in a bowl. Add egg, butter, milk & lemon rind. Beat with electric beater. Pour batter into oven proof dish. Combine cornflour, custard powder and remaining 1/2c sugar. Sprinkle over top of batter. Combine lemon juice & boiling water and pour this over the back of a spoon onto of the batter mix. Bake @ 180° for 30-40mins or until skewer inserted comes out clean. Dust with icing sugar and serve with vanilla icecream. Yum.
posted by rkcroft" :-))

roseann48, Aug 15, 6:24am
Your request reminds me of a lemon pudding I served once. Panics with unexpected guests so I placed a brought sponge in a bowl - topped it with brought lemon spread & placed in microwave to melt the spread. Served with whipped cream .Everyone loved it & no one guessed

dibble35, Aug 15, 6:25am
Brilliant, thanks 245sam. I'll save them and try them very soon while i still have lots of lemons on the tree. My mum emailed me the recipe of the one she makes but honestly by the time I beat the mix, the yolks, then the whites, folded it together it used so many bowls and took so long and made so many dishes i wasnt to impressed. It tasted OK though and came out better than I expected, but yes one of those 'easy quick mix' types is what im after, thanks

valentino, Aug 15, 7:20am
If you have a favoured Self Choc Pudding, compare the ingredients between that and other Lemon self saucing recipes and alter the Choc recipe to accommodate that lemony effect that you want. Sure, means a bit of experimenting but quite often if you can marry one to the other to have what you want can work. I do this quite a bit when looking for something special but you do know if you cooked so many that what will work and those that won't work, Have some fun.

Cheers

valentino, Jan 5, 10:06pm
dibble35, you noted having a few lemons and sounds like loving to use them as much as possible, here is a very nice dessert for you to try, it is tops and was my main item last Christmas and one lady requested 3 servings in total.

Edited to note that understand re being Fiddly, this was done in front of my guests and was quite quick, very surprisingly easy and the guests did not wait long as the cooking was the time taker.

Blueberries at this time of year though would need to be those frozen ones, should work as good once thawed and used as in recipe.

But the other thought is to try totally lemon instead of Blueberris but need to be wary not to too over-the-top re lemony tastes.

This is better than a Pavlova.

Salzburger Nockerl, or Berries and Clouds

450g Blueberries
Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
50g Icing sugar plus extra for dusting
70grams castor sugar
7 eggs separated
A pinch of salt
1 ½ tablespoons cornflour
Custard to serve (optional).

Preheat oven 180 C.
Put the Berries, lemon zest and juice in the prepared 20cm greased
baking dish and sprinkle with the icing sugar.
Put egg whites and salt in a very clean bowl and whisk until the eggs are foamy.
Add 50g of castor sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and whisk well between each addition.
Keep whisking until the whites have quadrupled in size and are stiff to hold their shape when you hold the bowl upside down.
Put egg yolks and remaining sugar in a separate bowl and whisk until the eggs are fluffy.
Beat in the cornflour until incorporated.
Finally carefully fold the mixture into the beaten egg whites with a metal spoon, in 3 stages, trying to maintain as much air in the mixture as possible.
Portion the mixture over the berries in 3 mounds to resemble the 3 mountains that surround Salzburg, (similar to our National Park Tongariro LOL).
Bake the pudding in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a light crust has formed on the outside and the interior of the egg topping is no longer liquid – a skewer inserted in the middle should come out clean.
Turn the oven off and leave the pudding inside with the door closed for a further 15 minutes before removing it and serving it immediately.
Dust with icing sugar and serve with a little custard if you like.