Mushroom Season

akjg, Feb 11, 6:52am
Perfect weather for mushrooms in the Waikato at the moment. any tips on storing them to extend the days I can have mushies on toast please? I'm sure Mum used to just put them in the large rectangle tupperware dishes in the fridge but I don't remember if she lined the dish or covered them!

strathview, Feb 11, 11:19am
Just frozen a big pot full for mushroom soup. Yum

rainrain1, Feb 11, 7:02pm
There are thousands of them this year, best year ever!

nauru, Feb 12, 7:00am
I made a cotton bag to store my mushrooms in, it works perfectly and they store well in the salad drawer of my fridge for a week or more, that's if they last that long, we love mushies. Prior to that I always wrapped them in a cotton tea towel and stored them in the salad drawer. Either way I found better than storing in a paper bag which tends to fall to pieces.

daarhn, Apr 5, 2:10am
Who's excited? Get your buckets and wellys sorted it's almost time to forage and fossick those secret locations in paddocks, forests, glens and dales.

Bring on all your best Mushy's recipes!

samanya, Apr 5, 2:21am
I've already had a couple of meals of field mushrooms . nothing much beats them.
I just like them fried in a little butter on toast.

daarhn, Apr 5, 2:43am
Yes, field mushys, fried in butter, cracked pepper, sea salt and if going posh, a sprinkle of parsley straight out of the frying pan. The occasional cream and nutty Parmesan added if I feel like a hot mushroomy cheesy dip with crackers.

Other fungi then it's a risotto extra creamy or dumplings

eastie3, Apr 5, 3:28am
I like them fried with butter and thyme and a splash of sherry vinegar,s&p.

rainrain1, Apr 5, 4:45am
Fried in butter, then on toast, salt and white pepper for me

buzzy110, Apr 5, 4:59am
Had some Birch boletes the other day. Soooo delicious. Wish I'd brought the sponge home to throw under my own Birch trees.

samanya, Apr 5, 5:18am
So did you buy them?
I always throw any 'trimmings' out on my paddock . hoping they might come to something, but they don't like fertiliser too much s I don't get them from my lawn anymore, but the lawn looks great.

samanya, Apr 5, 5:22am
Sometimes with field mushrooms I add a small amount of finely chopped fresh mixed herbs, you know parsley, sage thyme & if they release too much liquid, a dash of cream & lemon juice thickens them . nothing like mushrooms that pop up in the paddocks among the sheep shite etc & it's good exercise walking around looking for them!.

samanya, Apr 5, 5:24am
Got a good crop this year?
It's rained for a couple of weeks here & just what we needed & hopefully more mushies to come.

rainrain1, Apr 5, 5:35am
No, hardly any, and not expecting much this year, we have had a good frost which might slow them down to a full stop. I had a few on toast for lunch yesterday

punkinthefirst, Apr 5, 6:48am
But please. before you go foraging in someone's paddock, ask the owner first. It used to annoy the hell out of me to find that the mushrooms I saw in my front paddocks often weren't there when I grabbed a container and went to pick them. AND. you don't know what the paddocks have been sprayed with.
Most farmers don't mind sharing if you ask, and respect their property.

cookiebarrel, Apr 5, 7:26am
Yes to this.

samanya, Apr 5, 7:27am
It's getting a frosty feel here too, none so far, heaps of rain ( still absolutely pithing down) & I'm so pleased about that for the guys a bit further north (poor buggers have gone 2 years+ without any ' farmer's liquid gold ). so I'll put the gummies on & have another scout around tomorrow for a few mushies.

schnauzer11, Apr 5, 10:34am
I sold and moved 3 years ago, I soo miss our bumper bolete-crops at the previous property!

rainrain1, Apr 5, 9:05pm
The last few years I have had boletes on my lawn, 3 is the most I've had, but they get quite big, none this year sadly. It took a while for me to be game enough to try one, as I only ID'd it from a book, and lived to tell the tale. Chefs like those one's yes?

rainrain1, Apr 5, 9:08pm
They normally grow better in the paddocks which haven't been sprayed, so I wouldn't worry too much

punkinthefirst, Apr 7, 7:32am
Well, the point of my post was to remind people to ask before trespassing. I don't think anyone likes strangers in their property, whether they're picking mushrooms, blackberries, or the cabbages that townspeople grow in their gardens, sometimes.

rainrain1, Apr 7, 9:56am
Yes, I do get your point, it's hard to know who's been where really, most people ask, but there's always the ones who don't bother

daarhn, Apr 9, 6:56am
Grilled big fat flat almost black gills mushrooms piled with smashed creamy buttery avos and Talbots Parmesan nutty sweet. Such gorgeous melting flavours. A simple dinner tonight.

rainrain1, Oct 25, 10:59am
Had this for lunch today. it was so good.