When did Recipes become Google?

Page 2 / 2
kay141, Dec 8, 12:26am
In the past, I have asked for recipes in here but no longer. It's not worth the hassle and the arguments. I really didn't care whether someone thought that was good for me or not, it wasn't their business, nor did I want untried recipes copied and pasted from website, usually American.

cgvl, Dec 8, 12:40am
Can he have liquorice allsorts? If so make lolly cake using them instead, I tried a piece from our local bakery and really liked it.

holly-rocks, Dec 8, 1:22am
If i want to chat i ask on here but generally i just google it. There are some amazing food blogs online, alot of time and effort goes into them.

eljayv, Dec 8, 2:17am
Ive always thought gardeners and cooks were a generous lot, sharing recipes and tips etc . I’d like to think that is still the case but on these boards I think the crafts people may be the most helpful sharing of all. Could be attributed to the patience required in their skill choices perhaps.

cookiebarrel, Dec 8, 3:18am
Used to make Lolly cake a lot but then Pascals I think it was, stopped making their friutpuffs, and the eskimo lollies were too soft back then. Then found another brand of fruitpuffs and occasionally used them. Just recently got some more to make a requested lolly cake for my son only to find he reacts to them, not sure if they have changed their flavour or colouring. Decided to try eskimo lollies as they are harder now and he reacts to the pink ones in them. Making as treat for him, but not sure we will bother again. We have also discovered he reacts to palm oil in things,
On a new discovery journey as to what is okay and what is not. Oh the joys of living with a head injury!

beaker59, Dec 8, 5:50am
I think one of the reasons the interesting conversations have gone is that many people operate on different levels.
So a simple question like how do I make spaghetti can't be responded to on a vast array of levels from opening a can and microwaving it before depositing on toast through to hand made pasta and a 5 stage sauce with ingredients from far off places.
As a result people get either intimidated or insulted and don't bother coming back. Then you get the "scoffers" all to regularly unfortunately, then the debaters who get very personal if they feel you have dissed their style. Then there are the baiters who just want to create a kerfuffle fortunately mostly gone now.

Maybe the answer is to accept other people have a different view, taste, level of ability and celebrate the ability to learn, something I haven't done from here in some time.

Yesterday I cooked stuffed eggplant for the first time and googled it, sorted through the recipes looking mainly at technique, then made up my own stuffing from that which was basically a mushroom onion and rice concoction with a simple salt and pepper seasoning cheese and some sour cream(just using it up) which came out beautiful. Once I would have asked here for help guess google was just easier, quicker and less grief.

wendalls, Dec 8, 7:37am
at least then the message board and discussions like this get people thinking and reflecting on themselves and perhaps learning tolerance or restraint. I must say that some of the huge threads take me too long to wade through so I often use the Allrecipes website as it has so many great reviews of recipes

fdnz, Dec 8, 8:13am
I love reading recipes on this forum, they are so applicable to our family household. Loving the lollicake remark, we love lollicake, Not that I make it often. I guess those with a more epicurean taste are wasted on this platform such as trade me that predominately deals in 2nd hand items for sale?. I'm a GP with 6 kids and I love reading and saving family friendly recipes.I've even printed some out for staff and patients. And yes , know how to google, but love to read what other families are cooking.

pgta, Dec 8, 8:39am
You haven't lived until you have tried a good lolly cake.

samanya, Dec 8, 8:54am
Oh hell . that's me not having lived life to the max ;o) . I've never tried lolly cake

daarhn, Dec 8, 10:38am
Google as is Trademe search on recipe boards is simply another avenue to find those tried and true recipes that others ask for. Many of those tried and true recipes are in our heads. To actually sit down and think of every ingredient and quantity is not that easy.

After all, those recipes we have honed and coveted as our own, like magick, are made up in our heads and in our kitchens where I know me for example, get into my zone and I automatically know which cupboard drawer, jar, ingredient is and just throw it all together effortlessly without thought. Ask me 5 mins later what each quantity is and I'll be like hmmm.

The advent of google, youtube, foodie message boards et al, has seen over 300-500 of my cookbooks given away, sold off or donated. I just have the one book for sentimental reasons- My high school home ec cookbook. Now the recipes I come across and challenge myself from various sources such as above easily are 'saved' and shared for future reference and attempts.

dibble35, Dec 8, 6:35pm
You're not the only one, cant remember ever trying it before either. Dont know why I havnt ever tried it, usually some other baked good appeals more

uli, Dec 9, 3:44am
Better get onto it then!

beaker59, Nov 25, 9:04am
Same and I have literally baked (or chilled really, when helping in one of my sons bakeries) hundreds of them so apart from tasting a few crumbs I pass.

Actually its one of the few things he does from a packet mix as customers who like it like the std bakeries packet one rather than anything fancy. But then mainly its kids and early teens that buy lollycake. Customers who are unlikely to buy a perfectly folded and hand formed croissant which French people are known to come miles for if you catch my drift.