MOST FAVOURITE DINNER MEALS/RECIPIES TRIED, TRUE

Page 1 / 2
angel361, Apr 11, 4:14am
AND TESTED PLEASE. THANKS HEAPS LOOKING FOR INSPIRATION. THANKS EVERYONE.

petal1955, Apr 11, 6:32am
Macaroni Cheese

Makes 4 servings-----

75 g butter------
1 tsp crushed garlic ----
2 cups macaroni---- spirals, sea shells elbows
2 cups boiling water-----
1 cup milk-----
2 cups grated cheese-----
2 tbsp flour------
1 onion finely cut-----
Bacon pieces -------
Brocoli pieces-------
Red pepper diced--------
Sliced tomatoes for topping------
Chopped parsley------
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dry mustard powder -----
Extra grated cheese for topping

*****if you like a crisp topping make it before you cook the macaroni ------
Microwave a mixture of dried or fresh breadcrumbs with 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp chopped parsley and cook for 2-4 minutes stirring after each minute------then set aside-*******

Cut butter in cubes ----- place pasta, chopped onion, bacon, brocoli, garlic and butter in a large dish and add boiling water and cook uncovered on med high power
For 12-15 minutes stirring every 5 mins------- stir in milk ------ cook for 2 min to warm milk----- on a piece of handee towel mix grated cheese with flour, cayenne pepper and dry mustard powder and parsley and stir into the hot pasta mixture----- and microwave on high power for 3-4 minutes.--------

Then place the breadcrumb topping on top along with the tomato slices and grated cheese and pop under the griller till crispy

angel361, Apr 11, 6:36am
Thank youyou for sharing, much appreciated.

awoftam, Apr 11, 9:39am
There are thousands of recipes on here. Have you tried the search function? Then you can look for specific foods depending on taste and desires.

buzzy110, Apr 13, 3:10am
Our supermarket often has lamb should on special so I do this recipe quite a lot:

SLOW COOKED LAMB SHOULDER

Score the fat and rub with garlic, rosemary and salt OR
Crush cumin, coriander, star anise, garlic, ginger, sea salt and a dash of olive oil in a mortar and pestle and rub over the scored shoulder.
Slice an onion into rings and lay in the bottom of a baking dish preferably with a lid but tin foil will work just as well
Place shoulder on top
Cook at 200dC or 30mins to brown and seal
Then take out of oven and turn oven down to 90dC
Add 1 cup of either wine (red or white - your choice but not sweet), water or homemade meat stock (my choice)
Put lid on baking dish or cover well with tinfoil and put back in oven
Cook for 5 hours

While the meat is still succulent and tender and falling off the bone, it is still slightly pink.

Strain off the liquid, drain off as much fat as you want and use the stock to make a nice mushroom gravy/sauce depending on your skill level.

Serve with vegetables - cauli/broccoli/carrots/cabbage-
/silverbeet/courgette noodles/etc and if you must, roasted or baked potatoes and/or pumpkin and kumara.

buzzy110, Apr 13, 3:18am
p.s. I cook legs of mutton the same way only for about 6 hours or I increase the oven temp to 100dC

The leftovers, are awesome and tender going well tossed as strips into garden salads and as chunks in lamb stews. Use leftover meat stock and gravy to make a stew with sauteed celery, mushrooms, onion, leeks, capsicum, etc. Just be careful to add the lamb absolutely last to stews and just before serving.

angel361, Apr 13, 5:11am
thank petal1955 and buzzy110

sarahb5, Apr 13, 11:44am
Spaghetti bolognese
Butter chicken
Homemade pizza
Roast chicken
Lasagne
Tagliatelle carbonara
BLTs
Slow roasted Greek lamb
Shepherds pie
Homemade chicken burgers
Pan fried fish and chips
Nachos
Tandoori chicken wraps
Toad in the hole

Just a few of our favourites .

tinkagirl, Apr 16, 5:41am
my new favourite is buttermilk chicken.

angel361, Apr 16, 10:08pm
tinkagirl how do make buttermilk chicken please? Thanks

nzdoug, Apr 24, 4:13am

nzdoug, Apr 30, 8:24am
Scottish Spam Bolagnese w garlic bread.

loren8, May 1, 3:30am
this is a house fav- quick easy and cheap
Bacon and Tomato Pasta
Fry Onions. garlic and bacon (I use the bacon pieces pack) add 2 tins chopped tomatoes, s+p, mixed herbs or basil. Simmer 20min. Add 1 pottle of sour cream before serving. put on top of any pasta.

and if you have lots of time THIS is devine

Slow-Cooked Pork Belly with Garlic and Chili Glaze

Meltingly tender pork belly that is finished with a sticky honey, garlic and chili glaze with plenty of lemongrass flavor.

Ingredients

Slow Cooked Pork Belly
•1kg pork belly sliced, chopped in half (each piece being approx. the length of your index finger)
•1litre hot chicken/veg stock
•1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
•3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped in half
•1 tbsp. rice wine
•1 tbsp. caster sugar

Glaze
•2 tbsp. vegetable oil
•pinch of salt and pepper
•1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and minced
•1 red chilli
•2 tbsp Honey
•2 tbsp. brown sugar
•3 tbps soy sauce
•1 tsp lemon grass

Instructions
1.Add all the slow cooked pork belly ingredients to a pan (not the glaze ingredients). Bring to the boil, then place a lid on, turn down the heat and simmer for 2 hours.
2.Turn off the heat and drain the pork. You can reserve the liquid if you like (Perfect for a Thai or Chinese noodle soup).
3.Chop the pork into bite sized chunks. Add 1 tbsp. of oil in a frying pan, and then mix the remaining glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Heat the oil and add in the pork, salt and pepper, frying on a high heat until the pork starts to turn golden. Now pour the glaze over the pork and continue to cook until the pork looks dark and sticky. Remove from the heat and serve with some rice and green veg.

ljayl, May 1, 6:56am
Snitzel and chips and eggs and tomatoes or salad . love this :)

smylsie1, May 1, 8:42am
These are our regular, don't need a recipe, have the stuff in the house already dinners:
Anything with mince - spag bol, lasagne, shepherds pie, chilli & rice, moussaka (lamb mince), spaghetti & meatballs etc.
Stir fry or fried rice with whatever meat we have available
Beef stroganoff
Macaroni cheese
Any kind of roast dinner with veg
Chicken & pesto pasta
Chicken risotto (next day after roast chicken)
Sweet & sour pork
Various curries
Fish & chips (home made)
Baked salmon a few ways
Hmmm I expect there are quite a few more that I can't remember now. Fri & Sat nights are when we try out new recipes mainly.

hidecote01, May 2, 12:30am
Always look forward to Nachos

sarahb5, May 2, 1:53am
Yeah me too - love chilli and often make a big pot to have with rice or jacket potatoes one night and nachos the next - but its one of those things I don't have a recipe for and sometimes it tastes better than others

cosimo, May 2, 8:45pm
Oh my gosh - that takes me back 50 years. Favourite flatting tucker - cheap meat, plenty of protein and fibre. Perfect! Might have it again some day soon.

twindizzy, May 3, 6:58am
Kee sing mee (or known by 30 other names):

mince
onion
curry powder
s & p
packet of chicken noodle soup
little rice
cabbage
green pepper

Brown mince and onion. add curry power and chicken noodle soup. stir through then add couple tablespoons of rice and cook for a minute or two. Add water and leave to simmer gently/absorb with lid on.

Add cabbage and sliced green pepper at end.

figjamto, May 9, 5:36am
Just can't beat a good roast

bisloy, May 10, 11:34pm
Homemade baked beans has become a recent favourite and I have started making pork and chickpea cassarole again.
Nachos are always a hit, as is schnitzel. Chops turned in soy sauce and grilled gets them to the table in a hurry.
Potato bake, fettucini, swiss steak, Kai see ming (Kee sing mee, etc).
Depends on the age of your family and the amount of time you have really.
Let me know if you'reinterested in any of these and I'll post the recipe.

buzzy110, May 11, 4:11am
bisloy I'd be really interested in your baked beans. Made baked borlotti beans the other night but didn't actually bake them. It is very simple.

Soak about 1½ cups raw borlotti beans over night (I did it for 24 hours) changing the soaking water at least once.
When ready, drain the soaked beans and rinse well in cold water
Cover with water in a pot and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 - 1½hrs till cooked
Half drain the beans and add salt to taste.

At this point the beans can be stored in the fridge for a few days.

Cut up about 1½ hands full of bacon chunks and start sauteing with ghee/lard/oil over a gentle heat. Meanwhile finely mince (I use my mandolin) 1 large onion and a stalk of celery and add to the bacon. Continue sauteeing for a few minutes
Add heaps teaspoons each of cumin, coriander and smoked paprika - continue sauteeing
Add 1 tablespoon or two of tomato paste and cook through, stirring till it has all dissolve
Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and the beans and saved cooking liquid.
Cook for a further 45 mins till the sauce is thickish
Pop a packet of really nice sausages (I used L'authentique thin chicken sausages) on top of the beans and continue cooking for 15mins till cooked through.

Serve with parsley and sour cream.

I'd love to hear your version.

bella95, May 11, 6:58am
I often make a large pot of mince and freeze it in portions. Use some as a pasta sauce, some for lasagne and stir a can of chili beans through another and use it for nachos. Ant leftovers make great toasties too.

bisloy, May 12, 4:54am
Hi Buzzy110
Mine is very similar. Fry off some bacon (sometimes I leave the bacon out), then add lots of onions, lots of garlic, finely chopped carrot and celery. Stir in tomato paste and mixed herbs, a packet of tomato soup then add tinned beans, liquid and all, some brown sugar and a wee slosh of balsamic vinegar. Season. Cook down (oven or stove top), then stir through chopped kransky. Serve with fresh bread.
This has become a BIG favourite in our house.
Bella95 - I have just done the same. I made a big pot of mince for lasagne, then added paprika, chilli and beans to make nachos. IF there are any leftovers nacho toasties (grain bread, nacho mince and sour cream) are the best ever!

dibble35, May 12, 5:46am
One of my fav winter meals is lamb casserole. Very easy, very tasty, throw on some dumplings towards the end and it feeds me for a few nights.
Chopped onion, cut up lamb chops, add tomatoes, either frozen cherry toms from the garden, or tinned chopped tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, some lamb or beef stock for a bit of extra flavour. Cook in a slow oven for 3-5 hrs, not gourmet cooking by any stretch of the imagination but easy, cheap and must be good as I make it every couple of weeks over winter.