DIY canterbury cream

moparpete, Sep 6, 10:28am
Just by typing it above, my mouth is watering. Anyone have a homemade ,tried,tasted version of it without egg(as I want the concoction to last longer / bit more shelf life).Do please share. Am planning to make some as gifts for christmas. Also what is the best way to strip labels and sanitise used wine bottles to use for the above purpose. Thanks in advance.

rainrain1, Sep 6, 8:07pm
Never heard of it. Bailey Irish Canterbury Cream maybe?

kaddiew, Sep 6, 8:28pm
x1
I found this on the Foodlovers forum. No use to you, sorry, as it does have eggs, but thought I'd post it anyway, as it looks so decadent!

Canterbury Cream

3 Eggs
1/2 Tsp instant Coffee
1 Tin Highlander Condensed Milk
1 1/2 Tbs Chocolate Topping (Ice Cream Topping)
1/4 Tsp Coconut Essence
1/2 Pint of Cream
1 Cup Whiskey

Blend in Mixer

fannyadam, Sep 8, 8:39am
I usually double this recipe.
3/4 cup whiskey
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 cup milk
1/2 litre vanilla ice cream
2tsp coffee
1/4 tsp vanilla
Thaw ice cream, dissolve coffee in the milk, and blend everything together well.
Store in the fridge.
You will need a lot to fill a wine bottle. The single glass little wine bottles will be perfect. Sterilize in the oven before use. Print out your labels and glue them onto the bottles.

spunkeymonkey, Sep 9, 6:38am
lol never heard of it maybe u not from Canterbury it has been around for 25 years

ruakokopatuna, Sep 9, 6:52am
Recently bought a bottle of Canterbury Cream for my Mum. Was interested to read in the list of ingredients that the alcohol is not Whiskey as I expected, but Vodka.

punkinthefirst, Sep 9, 9:42am
Know nothing about Canterbury Cream, but regularly sterilize and clean wine bottles. Wash them in hot sudsy water and leave to soak to loosen the labels a bit. After that, you just need to use good old fashioned elbow-grease and maybe a small sharp vege knife to remove the labels. Rinse the bottles well, and check the insides for extraneous matter. Make up a solution of sodium metabisulphite according to the instructions (from your local brewshop) and soak your bottles and caps to sterilize them just before use. I always rinse them out with boiling water after they're sterilized.

rainrain1, Sep 9, 9:32pm
You can't beat Baileys Irish Cream, nothing comes close to it

paora-tm, Sep 9, 9:59pm
x1
And this is better than bought Canterbury Cream. IMO of course. :) Maybe because of the whisky instead of the vodka - never realised that until someone mentioned it.

rainrain1, Dec 27, 4:08pm
Might be more linked to ChCh than you