CORN BEEF IN A SLOW COOKER

tina1000, May 11, 9:51pm
WHAT DO YOU OUT WITH IT? ie water, honey? ? ? or just the corn beef and water?

ttwisty, May 11, 10:01pm
i usually put in:

6 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp brown sugar

and then top up with hot water and let cook 8-10 hours

cookessentials, May 11, 10:42pm
Rinse the meat well under cold running water. I boil the jug, then place meat into crockpot, cover with boiled water and add basically the same as ttwisty - use malt ( brown vinegar) and I cook on high for about 6-7 hrs, then turn to low until ready to serve. I usually serve it with creamy mashed potatoes, shredded cabbage, sauteed in a little water and butter, steamed carrots and either mustard sauce or a good onion sauce.

fluffydog, May 11, 10:55pm
I do it with cold water and use mixed herbs... . golden syrup or brown sugar and a dolop of brown vinegar

margyr, May 11, 10:57pm
i did one for the first time last week, just covered the bottom of pot with water and put the corned beef in, did it from about 7am till 6. 30pm, it was lovely.

245sam, May 11, 11:00pm
tina1000, I use either

(a)1 whole bottle ginger ale (usually Budget brand)+1 or 2 halved onions, each ½ onion studded with 3 whole cloves. I have added 1 whole orange, sliced but we didn't notice any appreciable difference in flavour however it's an option.

OR
(b) 1 onion, chopped or sliced
10-15 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp brown sugar
water to cover the meat

and I base the cooking time on 8-10 hours on AUTO/LOW for a 1. 5 Kg piece of meat. :-))

tina1000, May 11, 11:37pm
thanks guys, i have used water, malt vingar and a few herbs. and a onoin, fingers cross! ! !

fisher, May 12, 12:11am
tina1000... spot on:}} chuck in a few peppercorns

nauru, May 12, 4:20am
Did you know that BB drinks contain an artificial sweetner as well as sugar?

245sam, May 12, 5:02am
According to the ingredient list on the bottle of Budget brand ginger ale that I have currently that is not so. :-))

nauru, May 12, 5:07am
Its listed as 961. Good news if they have stopped using it, that is the reason we don't buy it anymore.

245sam, May 12, 5:15am
Our reason for buying Budget brand ginger ale is because in our opinions other brands tend to be lacking in flavour. Here's the list of ingredients as shown on the bottle I have which is dated SEP 10:-

Carbonated Water, Sugar, Flavouring, Food Acid (330), Colouring (150), Preservative (211).

According to my Collins Gem Guide "Natural and Artificial Food Additives"
330 = citric acid
150 = caramel
211 = sodiam benzoate
so definitely no mention of 961 or anything other than the above and currently I don't have any other Budget brand drinks to check their ingredient lists. :-))

nauru, Apr 23, 3:51pm
Thanks , that sounds good, will check their drinks again when I go shopping.