Meals, pantrÿs and borders?

allurs, Jan 21, 8:36pm
Hi all,
Am thinking of getting some boarders but don’t know how much to charge as I’d be doing the dinners and supplying the rest etc oh and bed, linen etc.
Muchly appreciate your opinions!

petal1955, Jan 22, 12:01am
$200 minimum if they are getting breakfast and an evening meal. Bed linen supplied and washed

allurs, Jan 22, 1:51am
Thanks heaps!

dirtbikesurgeon, Jan 22, 11:40pm
Yep, that's how it works in my house. In my town $250 for full board is acceptable. When they come in I tell them that I'll provide the makings for breakfasts and lunches, but they have to make it themselves, and dinner will be on the table between 6 and 7. I leave a dished plate if they're coming in late and they just microwave it when they're ready. (I've yet to encounter one that makes a full cooked breakfast every morning, the price'd go up if that was the case.) I bake once a week and how fast it goes is up to them/us. They have to buy their own junk/snack foods (because people that do like junk food can eat a LOT of it.) and they have to buy their own beer and toiletries. If they put their laundry out on a Friday I'll get it washed dried and folded, otherwise they can do it themselves. I vacuum and dust their rooms once a week, and every two weeks I change sheets for them. If they want the sheets changed more often, they're welcome to do so weekly themselves. ANGE164 on hubbys account.

duckmoon, Jan 23, 12:08am
$250 to $270 for full board.
We used to charge less than that, it meant that we got more people applying and got to choose someone we wanted to live with.

We supplied the breakfast they wanted to eat.
We cooked dinner for them (what we were eating)
And they prepared a lunch from the stuff which was in the cupboards. There were some things which we didn't buy - e.g. They wanted to have those small cups of tinned fruit - I said they are really expensive, happy to buy a tin of fruit and give you a container to take it in. She wasn't interested in that.

brightlights60, Jan 23, 9:49am
I have a German girl here for 7 months, $230 a week. She makes her own breakfast and lunch and I do dinner. She does her own laundry (her choice) and helps out when asked. We have got her to go out and see the city as she was a little bit of a homebody but in a nice way. We have had travellers for years. Usually short stay, but sometimes longer. Lots of fun. We use the Homestay finder site, but there are loads to find. I find Tourists easier, they are not there forever, you can negotiate what to charge and they are happy to pay it and you get a break.

neon2k, Jan 23, 11:38am
Check out IRD site. I remember reading that if you receive too much money it has to be declared. (Sorry can't remember how much it is but think it maybe about the $250 mark).

brightlights60, Jan 23, 9:24pm
You are allowed 2 boarders paying $250 a week each before paying tax. However if you RENT out a room, you must declare it as a business.

neon2k, Jan 23, 10:18pm
thanks brightlights - you do indeed shine brightly

brightlights60, Nov 1, 7:11am
Lol. We have had lovely experiences with homestays over the years. Only 2 "duds" in all the years we have been in this house (20). Stayed in touch with many. When the earthquakes hit Christchurch, the power went out. By the time it came on there were a whole lot of emails from anxious overseas friends wanting to know if we were all ok. Very humbling!