Coal range now going- What meals???

courtney2004, Jun 16, 9:22pm
What meals can we make in the oven? we have not used our oven for much at all and have worked out stove top meals etc as we did not want a high power bill but now we have a coal range up and working did potato chips last night took 40mins to cook them really well! what other meals can we do in the oven? we have all sort of beef cuts in the freezer might treat ourselves to a roast in the weekend.

shiyo, Jun 16, 10:05pm
I have a goumet oven/ fire. I cook alot of my meat, like roast beef from frozen. Cover with tinfoil and cook real slow for the afternoon, comes out beautifully tender.Add some flour to the dish before cooking and you will be able to make yummy gravy at the end. With mine its all about keeping the fire going nice and slow and keeping the temp even. I do potato bakes, casseroles,and my favorite bake whole potaotes. Wash and dribble a little oil over throw some seasoning like lemon pepper over and place in a tinfoil line dish. Wrap or cover but towards the end of cooking open the tinfoil and let the potatoes get a crunchy skin. Sour cream or butter added and eat.

lythande1, Jun 16, 11:24pm
Everything. believe it or not everyone cooked using wood/cola ovens once. They invented all these recipes we use today.

greerg, Jun 17, 5:21am
Everything!Its rather a case of trial and error getting to know your oven - how fast it heats up and how to regulate the heat but once you do they are great.Long ago I could bake in one but I think I've probably lost the touch bu now.

courtney2004, Jun 17, 9:22pm
What meals can we make in the oven! we have not used our oven for much at all and have worked out stove top meals etc as we did not want a high power bill but now we have a coal range up and working did potato chips last night took 40mins to cook them really well! what other meals can we do in the oven! we have all sort of beef cuts in the freezer might treat ourselves to a roast in the weekend.

greerg, Jun 18, 5:21am
Everything!Its rather a case of trial and error getting to know your oven - how fast it heats up and how to regulate the heat but once you do they are great.Long ago I could bake in one but I think I've probably lost the touch bu now.

cgvl, Jun 20, 11:12am
anything you can make in an ordinary oven will work in a coal range. You may need to adjust cooking times and learn how to adjust temperatures as some of the older models don't regulate as well as the newer ones.
Fruit cakes come out beautifully, but you can bake, roast, casserole etc in them.

nik12, Jun 20, 11:28am
Don't forget soup and the veges on the top :-).

rozke, Jun 20, 11:52am
rice pudding long and slow. nice and creamy

cgvl, Jun 21, 11:12am
anything you can make in an ordinary oven will work in a coal range. You may need to adjust cooking times and learn how to adjust temperatures as some of the older models don't regulate as well as the newer ones.
Fruit cakes come out beautifully, but you can bake, roast, casserole etc in them.

nik12, Jun 21, 11:28am
Don't forget soup and the veges on the top :-).