Balsamic vinegar?

sue62, Jul 6, 9:57pm
I have 2 bottles of balsamic vinegar in my pantry.
One is white balsamic the other ordinary balsamic vinegar.
Bought them then promptly forgot that they were there.

What can I use them for?
Thanks

davidt4, Jul 6, 10:51pm
For dark balsamic vinegar it depends on the quality. If it is top quality (very expensive and syrupy) use it in small quantities to dress salads and vegetable dishes, also a few drops on strawberries or other berry fruit. If it is cheaper supermarket quality try this:

Beef, Leek and Vinegar Stew

3 large leeks in thick slices
2 tab olive oil
700g stewing beef in large chunks
1 tsp salt
pepper
4 tab balsamic vinegar
750 ml water

Brown beef in oil, add leeks and stir 5 min. Add salt and pepper.

Add vinegar and stir to deglaze, gradually add 500 ml water. Cover and simmer about 3 hours until the meat is very tender. Add more water if necessary.

White balsamic vinegar isn't very interesting, slightly sweet without much character. You could use it to deglaze a roasting pan when you've roasted a chicken.

petal1955, Jul 7, 2:25am
Make caramialized onions with muscavado sugar and balsamic and oil.devine !

ed65, Jul 7, 2:48am
The two recipes I use balsamic vinegar in the most are:

1. Honey & Balsamic Roasted Vegetables http://www.appetiteforlife.org.nz/recipes/salads-and-vegetables/honey-and-balsamic-roast-vegetables/ 2. In my own variation of this Roast Pumpkin, Spinach & Feta Salad https://www.recipetineats.com/roast-pumpkin-spinach-and-feta-salad/
The balsamic, honey and olive oil dressing is delicious. I often replace the spinach with lettuce, and I always use toasted pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts.

hazelnut2, Jul 8, 5:29am
This tasty dressing is for Salad Nicoise and uses balsamic vinegar but we use it on any green salad. Sooo tasty!

With a mortar and pestle, crush a medium garlic clove with 1tsp salt to make a paste. Put this in a jar with a screw top lid. Add 1tsp dijon mustard, 1TBSP balsamic vinegar and 6TBSP of olive oil. Shake well.

Finely chopped Fresh herbs can also be added, but we use it mostly without them.

Easy peasy to make after getting the hang of the mortar and pestle.

jonnythecat, Jul 8, 5:55am
Google Chelsea Winter's Italian chocolate cake. Uses balsamic, a very easy and delicious recipe.

sue62, Jul 8, 7:55am
Thanks so much for these great ideas

nauru, Aug 6, 3:05am
Its a great chocolate cake too, very yummy.