Using up rhubarb

Page 1 / 2
kaddiew, Feb 24, 3:54am
Add to equal (or whatever) quantity of berries to make a few pots of jam?

Muffins? This recipe works really well with rhubarb:

Apple Muffins
2 cups flour
4tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
100g butter
1 egg
1 cup milk (I use apple puree instead for added apple flavour)
11/2 cups (at least) chopped apples, skin on, or rhubarb.
3/4 cup sugar (or less to taste)

Melt butter in microwave, add egg & milk, mixing lightly. Fold into dry ingredients, along with apples. Spoon into 10-12 greased or lined muffin tins. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon & sugar, bake at 220C for 15 mins or until golden.

samanya, Feb 24, 4:01am
Are you into chutneys?
I've made a couple of Rhubarb chutneys, one was a Digby Law sweet chutney, which was a bit too sweet, but I've also made this one that was in the press a while ago & to me it's got more of a tartness & I prefer this one.
makes 4 jars
1 kg rhubarb sticks
1.5 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2.5 cups white vinegar
1 tspn salt
40 g fresh ginger, chopped very finely
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
0.5 cup currants
1 large or 2 small lemons
very simple . put all of the ingredients in a pan with the zest & juice of the lemons, bring to the boil & then turn down to a simmer for around 40 minutes or until it has a medium jammy consistency stirring to make sure it doesn't stick. Pour into hot sterilised jars & seal immediately. Best left for a couple of weeks to mature.

samanya, Feb 24, 6:01am
Did you make Digby's 'sweet Rhubarb' one?
One of my nieces had a taste & reckoned that she'd eat it as a dessert.(& she doesn't like Rhubarb)
I liked it, but liked the slightly more tart one best.
I've cooked & frozen it, great for breakfast & I've even bottled it, when freezer space is minimal.
I cooked some up recently to have breakfasts & threw in a few strawberries . scrummy.

beaker59, Feb 24, 9:09am
Cook it up with a little sugar keep it in a container in the fridge add a little to breakfast etc etc its surprising how long it lasts and surprising how quickly it goes around here,.

floralsun, Feb 28, 10:56am
Finely chop it for muffins, stew and fill jars that you can seal (pop-top type jars) for use with cereals, sponge puddings, crumbles.

lyma1, Mar 4, 2:02am
Rhubarb and ginger jam.

samanya, Mar 4, 4:32am
I'm lacking freezer space atm, so I have 'bottled' some, don't know why I bother, as my Rhubarb produces all year around, but I don't like wasting it.
I have too many plants & it's the lovely red stuff.
Anyone I've offered plant to, say they don't like it . little do they know what can be done with it & what they are missing.

beaker59, Mar 4, 5:11am
Then you aren't wasting it if you pick and then lay down as compost under the plant itself. Rhubarb needs lots of compost to produce well and it self composts.

samanya, Mar 4, 5:25am
Yep, beaker, I feed it lots of sheep poo, etc. it's a gross feeder, I know & it produces beautiful stalks all year around & the leaves are so big they shade/smother other plants & there's only so much a girl can eat or give away. I tried to dig a few plants out recently, to sacrifice in order to make room . but it got the better of me & wouldn't budge.
If I was into TM selling . I'd bung it on here for free. to take away, for locals , but I don't think TM allow that!

kay141, Mar 4, 6:03am
Try your local Community House, Sallies, somebody along those lines. They may be able to help.

samanya, Mar 4, 6:09am
Community garden might be an option?
Got to dig the buggers up . it's not that easy.
I'd be happy for locals to come & grab some . I really would.

kay141, Mar 4, 6:12am
If you have a community garden, then go for it. The ones here usually have a few big strong people capable of digging.

samanya, Mar 4, 6:13am
Hey you, off topic, but have been reading other threads & congratulations . best wishes for your new venture . nudge nudge, wink wink.

kay141, Mar 4, 6:17am
Which one is that? I have many. Can you be more specific?

samanya, Mar 4, 6:24am
Maybe I've got a different kay? '
House? Buy?

kay141, Mar 4, 6:29am
I think you may have. Moving is on my long-term plans but nothing definite. Got to stay home and declutter. Easier said than done when, these days, I seem to get about 10 days a month at home

samanya, Mar 4, 6:34am
oops, got that one wrong but I do know how you fee!l

kay141, Mar 4, 6:40am
Now we have been naughty, it's time to get back on topic before we get told off. Good luck getting rid of the rhubarb. I'd take some but the garden is well down my list. No rain for weeks and not home enough to water it. Total fire ban again.

summersunnz, Mar 4, 1:10pm
Hi, would you consider selling me a plant please? Hope that would be ok with you :-)

raloki, Mar 4, 5:41pm
If you are on Facebook and they have a buy, sell or swap board for your area you could mention you have plants to give away on there and see if anyone wants one, or even free rhubarb or sell the rhubarb if you want to.

samanya, Mar 5, 5:02am
I would, indeed.

summersunnz, Mar 5, 7:16am
Oh, thankyou - would you list a plant please, thanks so much :-)

samanya, Mar 5, 7:59am
I tried to leave a message (with details) on one of your auctions . big fail!
TM didn't allow it.
I've never sold anything on TM . so I will have to learn how to.
I have done a little research & apparently a shoe box size costs about $7 to send & a bigger box with quite a few plants, costs around $20 to send. That's all I want . cover courier costs.

summersunnz, Mar 5, 8:48am
Thank you. the shoe box size would be wonderful please.

Just thinking. if you click to buynow one of my plant listings, we can make contact that way, and then I'm paying the Trademe fee so you won't be charged, and they're still getting their fee. How would that be? Thanks :-)

samanya, Mar 5, 10:19pm
I don't want to break any TM rules. I'll think of something.